Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bruce Wells Collection - Hume Weir

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Bruce Wells Collection - Hume Weir

Name:  bruce wells part 2.jpg
Views: 5768
Size:  135.7 KB

I've been really looking forward to posting this next batch of photos from the incredible Bruce Wells collection, simply because these are all from the charismatic little Hume Weir circuit near Albury. This neat little track has a downhill start/finish straight that leads to a right hand kink, followed by a tight right hand hairpin. Later in the lap, the track runs alongside itself in either direction, passing through a dug-out in a hill over which is a overpass. You can see this section in the opening photo above.

John Goss once described the first part of the lap in the 1976 book Evan Greens World Of Motorsport, heading through through the first kink and into the tight right hand hairpin as this: "The start at Hume Weir is slightly downhill. At the end of the straight there's a kink to the right and then downhill again into an absolute hairpin amongst trees. I can remember seeing drivers go out of my vision to the left and next lap around, they've been parked way out in the trees and I've wondered how they've got among so many trees without knocking their car to pieces. Remarkable parking".

This Hume Weir section shows action from both 1962, and 1964, kicking off first with 1962, at a meeting from December that year.

Kicking things off, I'm working on a combination of Bruce's photo names, and my own research, so if anyone can just in here and add more detail, please feel free to do so. The first shot is simply titled Morgan-Vanguard. The Allard Cadillac in the second shot I believe to be the J Skipper car. Can anyone help with this? The third shot is of the Holden powered Faux Pas of B Stilo. The fourth photo featuring the MG is of Ken Salmon, and last up is the Valliant of Ern Abbott, which I believe is the same car Abbott steered to 2nd place in the 1963 ATCC, behind Bob Janes Jag.

Name:  2  Morgan- Vanguard.jpg
Views: 3868
Size:  110.7 KB

Name:  3 Allard Cadillac.jpg
Views: 3938
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  4 B Stilo Faux Pas Holden.jpg
Views: 3802
Size:  120.8 KB

Name:  5 Ken Salmon MG Spec.jpg
Views: 3576
Size:  106.7 KB

Name:  6 E Abbott.jpg
Views: 3753
Size:  125.0 KB

There are just eight shots from the 1962 event. Here are the last three. First up is Don Algie in the Falcon. Don was quite a keen Studebaker driver at this time also, tackling the Armstrong 500 on a couple of occasions in Studebakers. Next up is the opening shot showing, I believe, the FX Holdens of Bill Jane, and Norm Beechey, sweeping beneath the overpass. On the left side of the photo you can see where the track heads in the opposite direction. Last up is Bob Janes Jaguar.

Name:  Don Algie.jpg
Views: 3813
Size:  109.9 KB

Name:  General View.jpg
Views: 3535
Size:  115.9 KB

Name:  R Jane.jpg
Views: 3512
Size:  93.9 KB

OK, I'm scratching my head a bit here. This is from a September 1964 event. I can't seem to find any info on these vehicles and drivers. Any help would be appreciated. Ellis, where are you?

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 3451
Size:  102.4 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 3364
Size:  112.1 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 3399
Size:  89.3 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 3483
Size:  97.2 KB

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 3460
Size:  143.7 KB

The Mini No 22, is a young Alan Jones, yes the very same that went on to win a World Championship.

I'm trying to figure out who is driving the Lotus Cortina in the first two shots in this post. I'd guess its Bob Janes Cortina, but Bob himself is pictured elsewhere at this meeting driving his Jag. Any clues?

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 3358
Size:  89.6 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 3308
Size:  107.5 KB

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 3335
Size:  92.7 KB

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 3349
Size:  97.6 KB

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 3305
Size:  87.1 KB

OK, final two shots from this chapter. The very last of these once again showing off the dramatic landscape of the Hume Weir circuit. Note the spectators perched on the edge of the cliff on either side of the track, with little preventing them from plummeting down onto the track. Very cool.

Next up, we're off to Bathurst!

Name:  28.jpg
Views: 3475
Size:  89.4 KB

Name:  26.jpg
Views: 4098
Size:  100.3 KB

May be Jane in Both cars, helmet is dark colour in both and head angle similar. May be in different races.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    May be Jane in Both cars, helmet is dark colour in both and head angle similar. May be in different races.
    Yeah you might be right. I think the Cortina was intended as the replacement for the Jag, and he raced it in the later part of 1964 and early '65 before his first Mustang arrived. But he did sometimes loan his cars out too.

Post #5 picture 4 has twin rear wings as in other thread Molina Monza, same car ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Post #5 picture 4 has twin rear wings as in other thread Molina Monza, same car ?
    Thanks Rod, it looks a bit like a modified Lotus 11, and possibly repowered, judging by the carbs sticking through the hood.

should pay more attention, the Molina Monza has higher rear wings and longer bonnet area. Pays to look twice.

Wish he would loan one to me, maybe the Camaro now.

World Champion

Ellis, our resident Humpy Holden anorak, has ID'd the #43 FX Holden pictured in a couple of shots above as being that of Norm Gown. Thanks Ellis!

Semi-Pro Racer
    A few more for you Steve...
    #9 / 15J JA Peebles
    #5 / 72 B Shore
    #4 / 43 Norm Gown
    #5 / 56 Barry Murphy
    #8 / 12 M Cock
    #4 / 59 Bruce McPhee (Mini)

#7 / 10 Cortina. This may be G Russell tho it certainly looks like the Jane car

Info courtesy of parkey at Wodonga
    Last edited by Ellis; 11-18-2011 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Insert info credit

Fantastic! Thanks Ellis for that. Yes the Cortina does look like the Jane car. He did replace the Jag with a Cortina. Perhaps this is one of its early outings? I think the Cortina was later fitted with side stripes along the bottom too, but early on I think it only had the stripes running down the centre.