Thread: Wanted: Group A Commodore NZ History / Bowkett / Billington / Barrow

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Weekend Warrior
    Hi Warren,

The Bowkett car was maintained by "Rapid" Ron Bartel. I'm pretty sure he went to Roadways when it was getting built.
    I think that Rapid is still in Auckland and wouldn't be hard to find.

Every time I think of this car I can remember a Pukekohe race, early 86? it had fuel pouring out the boot floor on the warm up lap. Maybe the first case of Ram filling ?

Marty

If I remember correctly, he fuel spill was caused by the team chilling the fuel to fit more in the tank but it started expanding faster than expected...

Quote Originally Posted by stirlingmac View Post
    If I remember correctly, he fuel spill was caused by the team chilling the fuel to fit more in the tank but it started expanding faster than expected...
    That is correct, they chilled the fuel with liquid nitrogen to decrease the effective volume and allow more fuel to be put in the tank as it would been just enough to save one pit stop as the final stop only required a small amount of fuel. Unfortunately the start was delayed for reasons I cannot remember but it was long enough for the fuel to warm up and expand the tank and break the metal straps that secured the tank. Then it happened as Marty explained it

Weekend Warrior
    Hi Marty
    Hope things are good with you.Im sure you have lots you can add to some of the threads.Do you have any contact details for Ron Bartel?.Do you know him?.I spoke to Bowkett a few years back and he made mention to 'Rapid' Bartel.I think he did work for Roadways at some point.Also the fuel issue would have most likely been at athe B&H 6hour in 85 as the previous photo shows and the other races at Puke where the January 86 sprint race NZTCC and the car was crashed in Practice for the Nissan Mobil meeting in early 86.
    The Bowkett car was maintained by "Rapid" Ron Bartel. I'm pretty sure he went to Roadways when it was getting built.
    I think that Rapid is still in Auckland and wouldn't be hard to find.

Every time I think of this car I can remember a Pukekohe race, early 86? it had fuel pouring out the boot floor on the warm up lap. Maybe the first case of Ram filling ?

Marty[/QUOTE]