Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Continental Special -- Gary Mullholland , Tyrrell Turtill

World Champion

Continental Special -- Gary Mullholland , Tyrrell Turtill

Extraordinary car powered by a 7.7 litre Continental 180 engine from a Cessna
    Both Turtill and Mullholland were killed in a road accident.
    I read somewhere the car had survived
    Any info ???
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by bry3500; 09-12-2011 at 09:26 AM.

World Champion

conti pics

In June 2007 Original Scripts brought a truly unique piece of Theatre to Canterbury. Our Adult class’s 2007 mid year production was an amazing historical piece. It was the story of two young Christchurch men who invented, designed and raced a revolutionary race car in the late 60’s and early 70’s. The car was named the Continental Special and it was designed and built by Garry Mulholland and Tyrell Turtill. The car was revolutionary in so many ways, from the fact that it had a rear mounted 7 litre Continental Special Aero engine (the same sort of engine as used in Cessna planes) through to the design of the suspension and the processes they used in building the parts. They raced the car successfully at various racetracks, including Ruapuna and Wigram, from 1968 until they were both tragically killed in a motor vehicle accident in February 1971. “The Continental Special : The Car that flew” is their story and is written by Garry Mulholland’s Sister – Canterbury Playwright Wendy Steeds. Original Scripts was also been blessed by input from internationally acclaimed singer and comedian Judy Glen, Tyrell’s sister. But the family connections do not end there. Both Garry’s youngest son and Wendy Steeds grandson performed in the play with Wendy's Grandson (Sam Steeds) playing the part of Garry. Both the car, and the story of Garry and Tyrell, are an important and well known part of the history of motor racing in Canterbury. TVNZ’s “Close up” screened a documentary on the story of the car, the tragedy of the boys death and a Sisters love. And how it all lead to the play being performed at the Repertory Theatre from June the 7th to the 9th. The show was a huge success with many people travelling from outside the Christchurch Region to see it.

World Champion
    should read Tyrell Turtill!!!! not Turtle oops

I just changed that for you bry.

Yes the car does still exist, was for sale a few years ago. This must be one of the last aero-engined race cars built anywhere in the world?

World Champion
    thanks Steve,, wow love to see and hear that on track.. I'm guessing it would be low rev/high torque ala the lycoming

I remember hearing this and it didnt change gears

What a great story on the play - I can remember standing beside this car when it was starting up one day. I went and stood about 20 metres away.

He passed in a burning Damler SP250 up behind Papanui with another car guy i think

World Champion
    The Other guy was his mate and co designer
    Garry 'Gus" Mulholland

If I remember correctly the engine drove through a torque convertor to a two speed transmission. I too have heard of the car being restored but have no idea where.

Semi-Pro Racer
    It was with Bill Cowie in Christchurch about ten years ago..

The Continental Special was definitely on tardme a couple of years ago. Classic Car ran something on the car about the same time. It was in good order then. There was something about it on the start line, being very difficult to hold on the brakes. Mesmerising car I thought then - has this kind of raw power look about it - like an explosion going somewhere to happen.

In the late 1960s, in Sydney, I worked with Tyrell's sister Judy's husband Keith, we partied once or twice, found one another entertaining company, but not as entertaining as her/their stories of Tyrell and this amazing car("now under a house in Timaru" they said back then. "Tyrell had raced an MGTF before that" they also said.). I resolved to track this car down, never did-- perhaps preferring the myth to the reality-- but I have thought of it, and them, and Tyrell frequently since. I only learned of the fatal accident much later. If "The World's Fastest Indian" could do what it did, what about this story? I hope the play did well, and continues to do so.

If anyone is in touch with Judy, please pass on my regards to her and hers

John Medley

Fantastic first post John!

World Champion
    Great post John..you can contact Judy here http://judyglen.com.au/contact/

Thanks, gentlemen

I will make contact

Is it true that Tyrell's previous/ first competition car was an MGTF?

Semi-Pro Racer
    I don't know about an MG, but he famously campaigned a two-seater V8 special

World Champion
    Agatha?

Semi-Pro Racer
    Not then, but the next owner would use that name

World Champion
    Ok ..I received an email from Tyrrells Sister Judy regarding the car
    Several years ago the continential special was owned by an enthuisist in Christchurch and was
    garaged in a warehouse in the central city - It was taken to Ruapuna Park and put throu it's paces for a TV programnme about the musical play entitled The Continental Special, The Car that Flew
    I wouldn't like it's chances of having survived the Earthquakes if it was still there.
    I have two contacts that could help - Glenn Sparrow, Garrys Son ph .......... or ph ..........
    Or Wendy Steeds nee Mulholland ph...........
    I hope they can help you and thank you for your continued interest in the boys incredible invention!
    Best wishes Judy Glen nee Turtill

I have Phone numbers for the contacts mentioned above if anyone is interested( send me a personal message)