Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Auctions in Scottsdale

Car Auctions in Scottsdale

Hi Guys and Gals, I live in Scottsdale, Arizona and look forward to attending some of several of the car auctions here in the coming months. These include Barrett Jackson and Russo and Steele, among others. If any of you are coming to town perhaps we can meet for a pint or two. The weather here is usually good and the car related interests, as well as the art scene is in full swing in February. Contact me if you care to get together. Email is good: dougrudy@mac.com.
    Doug

It's a long way to come for just a pint or two Doug ... might have to make it numerous pints to make the trip worthwhile! Thanks, will keep the invitation in mind if I'm ever in Arizona.
    John (NZ)
    Last edited by John B; 12-30-2012 at 10:45 PM.

So sorry, I thought "a pint" was a colloguial expression for "drink until you drop." Maybe it should be "drink until you are just below the legal limit for driving"....who knows what that is (I expect only those that have had a problem with the limit!)...I expect it is only a pint or two!
    Hope to see any of you up here. For the right price you can take my 70 Mustang race car back home!

I think we need some pics of the car Doug.

Bruce.

Its a pretty cool car Bruce and would make a great addition to HMC

Dale M
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Its a cool car for sure! And I like the historical/sentimental link also. For those who don't know, Doug crewed for Warren Tope in the Trans-Am Championship through until 1970. This car was built as a tribute to Warren, and one of the Mustangs he raced in the Trans-Am. I hope Jon Mello doesn't mind me posting this photo from the Camaros.org forum. This is Warren alongside the factory Javelin at Watkins Glen in 1972.

Name:  Ulrich-WGstart.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  36.9 KB

This Mustang would require a complete dash, pad, door and rear 1/4 side glass, upper roof rail moldings, headlights along with other items to make it HMC legal down here in NZ but would still be a vehicle worthy of doing this. What are you asking for it Doug?

Dale M

I see it has the high sided intrusion bars like the `69 Camaro I looked at buying in Oklahoma Dale. Even though it has opening doors, the trick is to get in through the window opening..... that ruled me out! This Mustang looks a good car all the same.

Yes that is a really smart looking car and most of the work is already done.

What engine does it have Doug ?

Good looking car Doug. Warren Tope was a very good driver, nice to see a tribute car.
    Bruce.

Pretty sure it has a 351, i know its got alloy heads. Heres few more pictures. Dale M

Hello to all,

Sorry it took a few days to get back to the site. Did get a kick out of the pics that Dale posted for me! Thanks Dale.
    On the Watkins Glen picture....this is one that I have never seen. Thanks for posting it Steve.

Dale mentioned some components that are lacking from the car. When I built this car I tried to stay as close as I could to the Ford Boss 302 Chassis Manual, and copying things that I did on the Tope car, but ended up deviating in some areas. Also, since I wasn't too worried about being within the Trans-Am rules, since I built the car more to the SCCA A-Sedan regs, to run in vintage races only, I made the car look like I wanted it to look. This car started out as a 428 Cobra Jet R-Code car with an automatic trans. It was sold from a dealership in Phoenix and never left AZ (as far as I know) except when I took it to Michigan to complete the conversion to a race car.

The engine is long gone and I have no idea where it is now. There is now a big input shaft Toploader in the car.

Anyway, back to Dale's comments on what it would need to compete in your series, I think I have everything that it would need. I have the dash with a new cover. The original dash was cut at the extreme ends by the A pillars to clear the roll bar, but would be easy to reinstall. I didn't like the full dash as I didn't have a good view of the tach and outer gauges so I built a simple race car dash. The gauge cluster panels, if I recall, were a good fit in the original dash, but, as I said, not a good fit for me.

I have the original door panels. And the original window glass including the rear 1/4 windows. Again, my stylin' Italian friend didn't like the 1/4 windows and I didn't like the door panels. I replaced the door panels with aluminum. Keep in mind, not only do I live where it is hot, this car is never on the street and even if it was, it seldom rains here. No need for windows! Pretty sure I have the head light buckets and lamps. Even have the seats from it.

Oh, Kiwi 285 asked what engine is in it. Right now I have a 302 crate engine in it. It is totally bullet-proof for the way I raced the car (conservatively). It does have aluminum heads as these came on the crate motor. Have about ten hours on the engine. I have raced it with a 351 Cleveland before. That engine has been totally blueprinted and is ready to reassemble with mostly new parts. It is generally outside the vintage rules which typically limit my car to 5 liters. Back in the day, Warren Tope would run a 351 Cleveland under SCCA rules but he would have to run as an A-Sports Racing car. Only did that a few times until the proper Boss 302 engines would show up "under the table" from Ford.

I think it was Dale that asked what I am asking for it. Haven't really tried to sell it yet, but will be putting it on the market. I think I will ask just shy of $40K. Some sites have forums for Selling/Wanted. I haven't checked out this site for that. So, if I shouldn't have mentioned money here, I apologize.

I truly enjoy this site and the people I have met here. My offer to open my home to you if you are in Scottsdale for the auctions stands.
    Doug

Jes that sounds like a great price to me.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    Jes that sounds like a great price to me.
    Here`s your opportunity Mike to go from behind the camera lense to behind the steering wheel!

I can still drive Mike. Mate, even have a licence.

Hello Guys and Gals.
    Well Barrett Jackson is well underway now. I went there on Tuesday to review the cars that were coming across the block this week. Not too many race cars. I understand that the Boss 302 cars will start selling today. They good muscle cars from the late 60s and early 70s usually sell during prime time.

Will check out the Russo and Steele auction today. That is also in Scottsdale now. R&S is usually a bit more into the race cars. If any of you have gotten to Scottsdale this year ring me up.
    Doug

Journeyman Racer
    Just so you are aware for those of you in NZ and that other place about 1200 miles to the west who are able to get the "speed channel" they have great coverage of these auctions.Actually I will watch tonight at 8pm here on the east coast USA or 2pm today NZ time .I like to dream!

Quote Originally Posted by hilstwist View Post
    Just so you are aware for those of you in NZ and that other place about 1200 miles to the west who are able to get the "speed channel" they have great coverage of these auctions.Actually I will watch tonight at 8pm here on the east coast USA or 2pm today NZ time .I like to dream!
    Don't we all - that big Lotto win has to come along sometime soon LOL

Doug, how much did that Batmobile sell for?

Quote Originally Posted by fullnoise68 View Post
    Doug, how much did that Batmobile sell for?
    Think I heard around 3Mil on radio this morning.