Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Silcock Jags

Semi-Pro Racer
    AR325 is indeed in Australia, and AL6246 in Christchurch

The car Chris Lachner owned was not ex-Silcock, but the ex-Ray Archibald/Alf Bell car (raced in the '50s rather than the '60s). Last I heard it lived in Pukekohe

World Champion
    Goodness......another iconic car. We, or should I say David, will get this Jaguar thing sorted for me eventually. I dont remember the car having much get up and go.....probably all the 'good stuff' was removed or wornout over the years. What I do remember was the noise!!!!A short pipe exiting out the side....great. Someone must know of this cars' whereabouts. You cant have the name Archibald on the ownership papers without drawing some attention. And it was 'funny'....fortunate, that the timing chain.....the first one from the crank, didnt break when we were in the middle of our 'burn'. Incredible really.

In a back issue of 'Classic Driver' Allan Dick wrote an article on Dave Silcock and his Jaguars. He mentioned that Dave was currently working on another Jaguar that he wanted to race. The article was written a couple of years ago but I have never heard of this car making it to the tracks. Does anyone know what happened to this car and whether it is stil around ?

World Champion
    Another correction!!!! In an earlier post I said that the first Silcock Jaguar had been purchased by Bryan Wyness. Wrong!! Bryan has actually got the ex Archibald car, and IT is in fact the one that I drove in about 1974 when owned by Chris Lachner. I used to think that I knew quite a bit about Jaguars, especially old ones, but clearly both my memory and knowledge are woefully inadequate. The car that kiwi285 is referring to would be the special mk2 saloon that Dave was building with a very special engine. Dont know how far he has got with the project, but one Jim Short will probably know.

World Champion
    HI Gerald. I am sorry but I had thought I had taken close ups of the information about the Jag, obviously I was wrong because they are nowhere on my hard drive. I will however contact the Noosa Car Club who runs this show and see if I can get some information.

Dave Silcock in his XK120 at Pukekohe in February 1967.

Name:  Silcock XK120.JPG
Views: 2025
Size:  37.9 KB

Silcock XK120 660206

the pic of Silcock in the XK120 posted by milan is his second XK120 chassis number 660206 the car currently in Qld Australia owned by ex new zealander matthew noble.
    If any one is interested in the full history of all three Silcock XK120's I suggest you have a look at our new XK120 book that covers the history of all new zealand XK120's
    We are working on the 140 volume at present
    terry mcgrath

Now Available and almost half of the limited edition sold

The long awaited for, second edition of the book "the Jaguar XK in
    Australia" is in fact 1/3 of a 3 volume trilogy.
    This just on 500 page, large size format 335mm x 247mm (13"x 10"), full colour book covers
    the histories of some almost 1000 XK120's in Africa, Asia, Australia/NZ and
    South America.
    It contains almost 1,100 photos of which only 25 appear in the original volume.

Sample Pages at http://www.jtpublications.com.au/book/
    Visit: www.jtpublications.com.au for full details

Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    Lyall painted all Don McMillans cars as well ,from memory there was a family connection between Dave Silcock and "Big Don "
    Talking with Lyall yesterday, and he said Daves cars he painted were British Racing Green. He also painted Dons Jag that Dave raced and that was the dark blue that it has been restored to by Mr Johns.

Semi-Pro Racer
    David McK, is it correct to your knowledge, that the now Bert Govern Jag is the ex Athol McBeath/ Ron Sylvester car. That would be the car Ron rolled at a meeting at Ruapuna.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Sorry, Mark, don't know that one

But I can say that all the magazines that referred to Athol McBeath were mistaken - his name was Alistair

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Sorry, Mark, don't know that one

But I can say that all the magazines that referred to Athol McBeath were mistaken - his name was Alistair
    Thanks David ,Yes sometimes things are not what they say or seem,you have to rely on age ,knowledge and from someone who was actually there

Semi-Pro Racer
    Murray Baker told me a couple of weeks ago that it was, he would have been there in that era so I guess he is correct.I thought I had a pic of it after Ron rolled it, he was heading out to participate in a later race on the same day, the right rear roof was a little rearranged.

Semi-Pro Racer

Silcock Jag

Name:  Silcock Jag  6 ua.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  42.7 KB

Semi-Pro Racer

Silcock Jag 2

Silcock Jag 2
    Attached Images Attached Images  

presumably the person you refer to is bert govan of Fendalton the owner of XK120 660535 ????
    the full history of the car can be seen at http://www.jtpublications.com.au/book/ or are you refering to the Silcock race prepared MK2 noted at the time as prepared to group 4 specs?
    terry

Quote Originally Posted by markec View Post
    David McK, is it correct to your knowledge, that the now Bert Govern Jag is the ex Athol McBeath/ Ron Sylvester car. That would be the car Ron rolled at a meeting at Ruapuna.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Sorry Terry, I was away from the original topic and was referring to the MK 2 sedan that Mr Govern of Fendalton has owned for many years.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Away from the subject again, I have had a 1963 MK11 3.8 4 speed, no overdrive, stored in one of my garages up till 4 months ago, it is now back with its owner. Dark blue, it was reputed to have been owned by the wife of one of the partners of an Auckland Jaguar dealer, and that it had some competition history. I checked back as far as I could, but as it was re registered with new plates the trail went cold and I could not track down the owner of the time of the re registration.Any Idea's where to look, the officialdom were most unhelpful as was the dealer as no reply was received.

Semi-Pro Racer
    ...and it was ungracious of me not to credit Terry's fine book as my source for the information on the Silcock XK120s

HI the new jag may may be at ruapuna meet scope ,without doubt it will be some car 600lbs lighter 400hp.!!!and loverly to look at but his main interest is in the building

World Champion
    Jim, thank goodness you are back.....too many pre Chistmas wines!!!! Here was I getting into all sorts of strife over the Silcock XK's, and you weren't coming to my rescue. As I said, you probably know almost as much about Daves cars as he does. Hope the MK II does make it to Skope, but like all us old fellas, his driving perhaps isn't quite what it used to be. Never mind just seeing and HEARING it will be a treat. You and I need to catch up, will see you at the Festival if not before.