Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Silcock Jags

This looks very like the car that was in my parents gagage for the day at the Matamata street event.
    A guy was driving up and down our street looking for a place to park. I went and asked what the issue was, and he said he wanted somewhere safe, so NATURALLY I offered the garage, and was accepted! We then walked the couple of hundred yards to the circuit, I had showed him where the key was and when I got home he (with the car) was gone. It would have been polite of him to have left it I think.

World Champion
    The information on this car, the D type, can be found on page 2....State of NZ Motorsport...post 35. What Jim failed to tell you is that the car sat on John Riley's yard for some time with a price tag of 1500 pounds....$3,000!!!!! No one wanted it. Because it was an early short-nose example, with a very original body, almost a barn find, it was keenly sought after in the UK. Might even get $5,000,000 for it today. Hind-sight is a wonderful thing.

Sorry Amco 3 mistakes there 1st a couple of weeks back I wrote about the car been 1500 pounds{you replyed made for SHORT asse people} 2nd no one wanted it are you jokeing 3rd basket case hardley all he did take it back to original!! white I politly asked him why he didnt go back one more coat to blue ???but what would a Kiwi know?/ so no ans. Now why did you ask me to explain when you appear to know more than I

World Champion
    Jim, answers. [1] You did write about it, but we are all a bit forgetful on this site,especially me.
    [2] YOU wanted it, but couldn't afford it. Almost 1/2 the price of a new house.
    [3] It was a sort of barn find in that it hadn't been mucked around with.
    [4] Jim, when it comes to Jaguars, I have to bow to your superior knowledge.
    And, do you remember when we competed against it in a gymkhana, at a supermarket carpark back in 1970?

World Champion
    Or was 1968? You will have it in your little black book somewhere. I wonder if Dave ever had anything to do with the car.....like the engine swap, for instance.

Yes ran like a dog not meant for that sort of thing and living alone and comenting on here is taking it out of ..having dave burn my ears about manz hell iam not happy with what goes on But its like changing the goverment, and not picking on anyone but over the yrs.some things are hard to come to turns with and I dont wish to start only yesterday my son was up at 4am travel back from Taupo as Juno given an entry into sportscar race pick it up mt wellington. back to Taupo really wanted to seeif problem gone.Then problem if he starts 2 cars will go home as dont want to run against it!! it turned out ok but who needs it, like my Spyder 22yrs ago Alan Dick arranged an entry to sfos Timaru Queenstown and Dunedin. we drove down raced then drove home ,went back 8times over the next ten yrs allways invited and looked after recieved a lovelly trophy peoples choice along side a rare 2z2 Alfa and so on i decided to give tacoc another try with this nz built car entry accepted race 1 over then please report to stan What car is this ,He had no hell whats the word,I did tell him I had papers from FIa I think that Allan Currie had arranged that let me run anywhere in the world!!tacoc no thank you. Then the Paton cant run in the realays car has no doors this put all the Lotus out as well and so {we all ran but with some people it does not pay to win}Yesterday I loved watching and listening to ex Le Mans RSR run at Manfield I sat on the seats beside the dummygrid and admired all the muscle cars the noise the smell I am not all that interested in the rules .imagine fronting bup with the LYCOMING TODAY for the first time or a 34b coupe with a v8 in it.. I might have a rum now

World Champion
    Well, I'm glad you have got all that off your chest Jim. You deserve a rum, or two, just to recuperate. Yes I remember the D type being not very suitable for a gymkhana.....an in-or-out clutch. What isnt appreciated today is how SMALL they were....about as big as an old Mini.....with 265hp......Whew...... Bloody hell, Daves 'Blue Car' with 400+ should be able to go like stink, even though it is a wee bit heavier than a D type!! Found the problem with the water in No1 yet Dave?

Yes Gerald, small hole in the inlet port, epoxy putty is doing the trick, fingers crossed. Looks like your drive is safe as our contributing MSNZ VP has almost assured us that no one will be stopped racing on the basis of roll cage Homolagation. And as the Tui ads say Yeah right. Im still waiting.

Hi back on Jaguars received a photo of Daves jag after Millen had put his touches to it .sadly I cant come to grips with loading photos on here .I can still drive a 190 with 2 gearboxs though{I wonder how many know whats involved} 18gears in all .Hopfully Steve can put his copy on for us. then we can sit around and compare with the MILLEN CAR {sorry dont mean to use big letters but somhow my left hand feels left out}we can compare it with the Millen car that has been running the last 2 years. the only thing I.. and remember I am old IS the number 100

Semi-Pro Racer
    I gave the drivers seat of the blue car a rub for you today Gerald, I'm thinking you might need a cushion.

Possibly a leg brace as well the way it revs a shakey right leg !!! could be like Jan and I had a ride at Philip Is. 3yrs back in with Bob Jane in his 4.1 jag..He was 80yrs.old that yr. didnt think he would make 82 but hes still going he had just put a restraining order on his wife after a kitchen knife attack.His Pastor friend sat in the front with him while we squeezed in amongst the rollbar.Along with Norm Beechy in his Chev Imparla with 6 passengers who payed $500 for the one lap we started side by side ,then Beechy was gone Bob was rather timid but bloody brave to even try ,but 2nd gear it was just coming on to the cam and sounding real good but scarey thankfully he lifted off sad that it was ,downhill turning right the two in the front were both trying to engage 2nd gear with the whole convoy behind ,at the end he parked it on the road and his helper parked back on display,ever since watching it at Puke 1964? I loved that car and am real proud to have had a ride in it slow as it was thank you Bob

Hi ,just heard what was thought to be another earthquake in Christchurch, the roar and ground tremble.A blue flash and it was gone,turned out to be some hoon in what looked like in the moment it took to pass ,a MK 2 Jaguar!!!

World Champion
    Jim, yesterday I said you could have 2 rums, NOT the whole damn bottle!!!!!!!

But he's right Amco it was the blue car, how are those sessions at the gym going? keep them up because its far more powerful than I'd have thought possible.

Motorman article many of you will be familiar with.

Name:  Silcock XK 120 Article 1.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  141.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Silcock View Post
    Thats really interesting Stu, PD always told me that his father in law only bought land with trees on it as he reckoned if it would grow trees it would grow anything. In true pioneering fashion he then cut them down and grew grass. He always refered to his father as Walter prhaps an Anglicised version of Werner. He had tales of he and his mother flying across the Pacific in the flying boats and stopping each night at a smart hotels on thier trips home to NZ.
    Hey Stu I'm not sure if this is the place to post this but some time ago you posted a photo of my MK2 on the spectator banking at Bay Park. The reason for this indiscretion was that I had a very good start and was right there on the first lap , Paul Fahey got a bit wide on the exit to the start finish straight and knocked a bit of wood off the fence. This I tried to avoid and got into a bit of a slide. now real blokes don't back off in these circumstances, especially when your only 27 years old. So I ended up on the spectator bank, but worse was to come as my Mother was on same banking and even as you shot the picture was descending the stand with her skirt hoisted round her knees crying out'' thats my boy'' now you can see why I was in such a huury to leave the scene. I will also add that my Wife has also chosen to use that shot as the screen saver on my part of her computer , thanks mate

Semi-Pro Racer

Dave hasn't only owned Jags

Name:  Daves Ansaldo 6AN c.jpg
Views: 585
Size:  93.7 KB

One of his early cars,an Ansaldo 6AN 1923,

Come on Steve show us the Millen car so we can kick start this site please

Jaguar Photos

Here's a few photos for you to look at from the past JimName:  C type Front.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  125.9 KBName:  Champion D Type.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  94.2 KBName:  Gott Mk 2.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  111.5 KBName:  Leuch 120.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  86.4 KBName:  Mark 2.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  126.8 KBName:  XK140 Club Circuit.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  129.1 KB