Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sport cars of yesteryear

tell me more about the 250 LM and how it got to Middle earth
    Yes I know Im behind you guys, i like warm beer and it rains a lot here too.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Run by Scuderia Veloce in Australia, and in 1966 NZ sportscar races by Spencer Martin, then did a year with NZer Andrew Buchanan before rerturning to SV. Now owned by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    Brent raced it with the Jaguar engine. His "Special" claim to fame was when he raced it in the sports car races at Wigram and then fitted a type of hardtop to it and raced it in the Allcomers saloon car class later in the day.

He and Leo did get a bit of a hard time from Team Timaru over that but it did show that they were innovative.

Someone must have some photos of it at that meeting, it was a bit hard case looking.
    Didn't the Lycoming do something similar, but 3 classes? I heard a rumour way back when that it ran without guards in the singleseater class, guards on in the sportscars and a roof for Allcomers. Then again rumours are not always too correct!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    Didn't the Lycoming do something similar, but 3 classes? I heard a rumour way back when that it ran without guards in the singleseater class, guards on in the sportscars and a roof for Allcomers. Then again rumours are not always too correct!
    I can't remember it running as a saloon but it did run in both the single seater NZ Specials class and as a sports car at many meetings just by as you say, adding the guards

looks like ohakea 82 ex ivy stephenson climax buckler red paton ford{elva ford] story to come on this car lotus 7 dennis ganley ian hallet yellow buckler????

Heres a old shot taken by a then keen young fella with his own little camera. I actually bumped into him at Hampton Festival and he said he had some old photos. he sent them to me and I will post them on threads and may even start a thread for them and any similar shots taken by amatuers with ordinary gear. It is all good.

Can some one name the drivers and cars please ? come on Jim
    I think I know 3 of them
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Semi-Pro Racer
    Front row Riley (Lotus "19"), Harvey (Elfin 400), Boyd (Stanton Corvette)
    Second row Ross West (Lotus 23)(I think), John Armstrong (Lotus 15)(I think)

Thanks David I had Boyd and Harvey but was not too sure on Riley, and had no idea of other two.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Heres a old shot taken by a then keen young fella with his own little camera. I actually bumped into him at Hampton Festival and he said he had some old photos. he sent them to me and I will post them on threads and may even start a thread for them and any similar shots taken by amatuers with ordinary gear. It is all good.

Can some one name the drivers and cars please ? come on Jim
    I think I know 3 of them
    Was he photographing the cars or the girls?

No he was trying to get Bob Friends car in shot with Graeme Pierce standing on the observation point

Semi-Pro Racer
    According to John A, David is correct on all counts.

Thanks David. Timbo you raise a good point, as he was known to "look" around in years of past. Looks like the one in pink/purple was way before her time in dress code.
    Note Lexington wagon in back ground also and it looks like Lexington colours on Boyds Stanton

I've just started a dig through some old photo's and found a couple here of Peter Preston in his Buckler. The first during a LeMans start at Teretonga and the other at Wigram. Guessing around 1960/61. Unfortunately I didn't record any details on photo's back then. I recall it as being green with a white stripe.

Hi Wal, every Buckler photo you can find is sought!

Not strictly yesteryear, but some sports car photo's from Amaroo park, a circuit which is no longer with us.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks timbo, Amaroo sure was a neat little track with a nice flow.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by markec View Post
    My mate David Irving has been busy with Photoshop

Hay Guys lovley shot WHITCH ONE is on POLE Jamie A

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    My mate David Irving has been busy with Photoshop
    Wow, thats clever!