Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: GTX Series - Falcon XAGTs

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow, I love this photo. This must have been very early 1974? It was painted blue later in the year wasn't it? Pretty sure it was blue when it won Bathurst.
    Gossy broke with tradition when he changed from his normal Tru-Blu colour to yellow for 1973. but he was unlucky at that years Hardie-Ferodo 1000 and the car was rebuilt for 74 and changed back to the usual blue.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The one and only XA GTHO Ph4 ever built.
    Its owner is a member of The GT Club Inc.
    The car featured on our newsletter front cover a few years ago.

This is a for sale advert for it in the newspaper in 1985...
    It had a colour change in its early life but is now back as it was built.
    You will also notice that an AC unit had been fitted which incidently required the HO4 badge on the dash to be removed.

The XA GTHO dash badge....

Last edited by Ellis; 08-20-2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: add pic

[QUOTE=Ellis;17148]The one and only XA GTHO Ph4 ever built.

You will also notice that an AC unit had been fitted which incidently required the HO4 badge on the dash to be removed.

Wow - what would that be worth these days. Some one has a great investment there. Does he take it out much Ellis or keep it hidden away ? Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    The one and only XA GTHO Ph4 ever built.

The XA GTHO dash badge....

Would love to see more ads from that old newspaper! Ellis, you say the one and only XA Phase 4, weren't there 3 or 4 built?

Steve, you are correct , there was more than one, four sounds more like it.No thanks to Evan Green.$6000 would buy one ...then.

Whilst there were 4 XA Phase IV’s built the other 3 were built up at the race factory , so this was the only one to go down the production line and the only one to receive it’s correct factory GTHO I.D. plate.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Steve, you are correct , there was more than one, four sounds more like it.No thanks to Evan Green.$6000 would buy one ...then.
    The 3 race prototypes were std XAGT's pulled from the production line and
    built/modified at Mahoneys Rd. They had XAGT compliance plates.
    The Green car was the only XA GTHO ever to go down the production line and plated as such by Ford.....so one....the Calypso Green one.

The car makes few appearances, it was the subject of a resto last year which was covered by some magazine. The long time owner is very private but has made the odd unannounced visit to the monthly GT Club Inc meetings.
    Last edited by Ellis; 08-20-2012 at 07:04 AM.

Parnelli, Ellis, thanks for clearing that up.

Semi-Pro Racer

Only the one with this on plate

Wow, that one line speaks volumes!

Weekend Warrior
    Name:  PC100470.JPG
Views: 1613
Size:  164.8 KBName:  PC100460.JPG
Views: 1529
Size:  160.8 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
    with Further regard to Bryan thompsons Pic Of the lime green XA Falcon Coupe & other comments,

OLD MATE, Barry Lloyd, an Ashburton Earthmoving contractor, more often know as "BJ"; may have won the NZ GTX championship in 1978 with this car.
    Race prepared by Timaru Guru, Wayne Murdoch, the car certainly figured well in all the points & placings in probably 2 seasons.

BJ, always the consistant driver , became a very much admired & liked, competitor.

Teretonga was his pick of the south island circuits ,where; the long front straight suited the legs of the falcon.

He had also Competed in the "villa maria 300" at Manfield, 1977 ? with this car, along with fellow ashburtonians , Rod Mclrea & Russ Haines [ X Robbie Franecievic Rx2 -capella coupe] at the same event.
    Also at Races at Baypark & pukekoe on one or two ocassions during the GTX series.

Geeee was Barry only 41 when he past , I remember him well , the green Falcon , seemed very big time in those days , Wayne;s car was also fast also [noddy] If i remember right Barry was a hard doer, I was about 18 yr old , Barry always a happy go chap... & then there was Inky he had a go , in an xagt ....... out of the SI guys Wayne extracted the best of these cars .......Know doubt about that

Hopefully some of these cars might be on display at Lakeside in July.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Geeee was Barry only 41 when he past , I remember him well , the green Falcon , seemed very big time in those days , Wayne;s car was also fast also [noddy] If i remember right Barry was a hard doer, I was about 18 yr old , Barry always a happy go chap... & then there was Inky he had a go , in an xagt ....... out of the SI guys Wayne extracted the best of these cars .......Know doubt about that
    John Christie still has his XA GT which of course was the one that Inks drove for him. He also spent quite a bit of time looking after BJ too.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi285 View Post
    Hopefully some of these cars might be on display at Lakeside in July.
    Lets hope that they get asked to bring them. Have not heard that Bowdens have been asked to bring anything yet.

Jim Richards is racing the coupe in the "Pool 200" at Manfield. I think Jerry Clayton was owner at time. The car is a genuine RPO83. I bought the car in 1980 as a road car and for the first few years I raced it I used to drive it to the race meeting but after breaking gearbox input shaft at Bay Park I started to modify it bit by bit and trailer it to meetings. I have raced it in quite a few different classes over the years and still give it a few runs at Auckland Car Club meetings at Pukekohe and Hampton Downs. Phil Schubert

Phil- was this Craigys car before you?
    Its always great to see your car at race meetings still being used.
    Craigs black one still just sits and sits .

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Jim Richards is racing the coupe in the "Pool 200" at Manfield. I think Jerry Clayton was owner at time. The car is a genuine RPO83. I bought the car in 1980 as a road car and for the first few years I raced it I used to drive it to the race meeting but after breaking gearbox input shaft at Bay Park I started to modify it bit by bit and trailer it to meetings. I have raced it in quite a few different classes over the years and still give it a few runs at Auckland Car Club meetings at Pukekohe and Hampton Downs. Phil Schubert
    Thanks Phil, thats great info.

Name:  JimRichardsXAGTCoupe.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  115.0 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Grant Sprague View Post
    Have a few photos of Barry and Jimmy Little racing at Ruapuna and Levels in the SIPS series, and the Southern 200 at Ruapuna, in the early '80s. At Wigram too, iirc.

The Barry Lloyd car as shown in post #12 is owned by a guy near Dunedin, He has had it for 20 + years, is used but not often.