Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GTX Series - Falcon XAGTs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    There is a Lime Glaze/White InteriorXA GT coupe here in NI. It usually turns up at All Ford Days. Next time I see owner I will ask him if he knows history. Carjam does not show early plate nos for car.

Came across this photo a while back. Beleive it is Jim Richards (judging by door signage)? Any info?

That is a fantastic photo.I have never seen this one before.I always thought he went from sedan to XC Coupe sports sedan.WOW.Carjam the rego anyone?Is this track Baypark- judging by the yellow flowers

Photo of Jimmy in XA GTName:  rsz_jimmy_richards-steve_emson.jpg
Views: 2608
Size:  92.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Emson View Post
    Absolute dynamite photo there Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Emson View Post
    Hi John, Yes I do still see Calvin from time to time. He lives in Sydney and I am in Brisbane. I just gave him a hard time about NSW losing to Queensland in the State of Origin recently.

Its always a great feeling when the Maroon put away the cockroaches. Calvin must really be suffering.
    Tell us about your racing over there
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 07-22-2012 at 07:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Its always a great feeling when the Maroon put away the cockroaches. Calvin must really be suffering.
    Tell us about your racing over there
    In 1994 I bought a Gemini for the Qld State Championship, just to see if I could still drive a car. Mainly for my kids to see that their old man actually did race. Won virtually all the races and the Qld State Championship 1994. Raced a HQ a few times setting the lap records straight at Lakeside. I then bought a XY Falcon GTHO (replica) for Historic racing. I only raced it when I felt like it, but did win 2 Qld State Championships and a few other things with it. This was the fastest car in Qld and even won the muscle car shootout to make it offical. I should have raced V8's years ago as I really enjoyed that car. Stopped racing after 2001. I really spent a lot of time getting Historic group NC & NB off the ground and I created the Qld Cup (with rules so I couldn't win it in the Falcon). Also got Cams to organise the Championship. Took a lot of doing to get these cars out of the sheds and racing. It is now very strong here with big fields.

Sorry to everyone for highjacking the thread.

Hey Steve Em-you say you should have raced V8s years ago.
    When and why did that magic moment happen.
    You had always been a Datsun icon. Every day in the 70s-80s people would wake up in the morning secure in the knowledge that what ever the day would throw at them ,Steve Emson would always be in a Datsun Coupe.
    To hear this is a real shock to the system.I can live with this news,because you chose the brand that I like.
    Why dont you bring the car -should comply if its a replica-over and have a play with us in the Historic Muscle Cars in January? Dale needs a playmate on the front of the grid
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 07-23-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haga View Post
    There is a Lime Glaze/White InteriorXA GT coupe here in NI. It usually turns up at All Ford Days. Next time I see owner I will ask him if he knows history. Carjam does not show early plate nos for car.

Came across this photo a while back. Beleive it is Jim Richards (judging by door signage)? Any info?

Wow! Where have you been hiding this? Awesome pic, and one I've not seen before. You're right, this is indeed Jim Richards, and I'm 99.99% certain this photo was taken at Manfeild in February 1975. Rob Lester held a 70 lap endurance race in which JR put this Falcon on pole, and was the fastest car throughout, but was beaten to the finish by Inky Tulloch in an E-49 Charger. Tulloch was able to complete the full distance without having to stop for fuel, whereas JR had to pit the thirsty Falcon at least once.

The success of this race prompted Lester to get a Winter Endurance Series off the ground during the winter of 1975, with races held at Manfeild, Pukekohe and Bay Park. JR switched to co-driving a Z28 Camaro with Neville Crichton. I could be wrong, and would love to know for sure, but John Marslin raced an XA hardtop very similar the this one in the Winter Endurance Series. Is this the car Marslin raced?

Thanks for sharing.

With Richo driving he passed everything but the petrol pump..

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow! Where have you been hiding this? Awesome pic, and one I've not seen before. You're right, this is indeed Jim Richards, and I'm 99.99% certain this photo was taken at Manfeild in February 1975. Rob Lester held a 70 lap endurance race in which JR put this Falcon on pole, and was the fastest car throughout, but was beaten to the finish by Inky Tulloch in an E-49 Charger. Tulloch was able to complete the full distance without having to stop for fuel, whereas JR had to pit the thirsty Falcon at least once.

The success of this race prompted Lester to get a Winter Endurance Series off the ground during the winter of 1975, with races held at Manfeild, Pukekohe and Bay Park. JR switched to co-driving a Z28 Camaro with Neville Crichton. I could be wrong, and would love to know for sure, but John Marslin raced an XA hardtop very similar the this one in the Winter Endurance Series. Is this the car Marslin raced?

Thanks for sharing.
    I have been looking at this car. I think it is Manfield and I think it is possible I was in this race. Possibly driving with Neville Bailey in my little white GTX Datsun Coupe. If it is the same race, we ran out of fuel on the last lap and the car stopped on the circuit. Neville got it started again and we won our class.

I could well be wrong, but i had an idea that this is the phil schubert car now.
    does any body know for sure??????????

Thanks for sharing.

Jim Richards is racing the coupe in the "Pool 200" at Manfield. I think Jerry Clayton was owner at time. The car is a genuine RPO83. I bought the car in 1980 as a road car and for the first few years I raced it I used to drive it to the race meeting but after breaking gearbox input shaft at Bay Park I started to modify it bit by bit and trailer it to meetings. I have raced it in quite a few different classes over the years and still give it a few runs at Auckland Car Club meetings at Pukekohe and Hampton Downs. Phil Schubert

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    Jim Richards is racing the coupe in the "Pool 200" at Manfield. I think Jerry Clayton was owner at time. The car is a genuine RPO83. I bought the car in 1980 as a road car and for the first few years I raced it I used to drive it to the race meeting but after breaking gearbox input shaft at Bay Park I started to modify it bit by bit and trailer it to meetings. I have raced it in quite a few different classes over the years and still give it a few runs at Auckland Car Club meetings at Pukekohe and Hampton Downs. Phil Schubert
    Thanks Phil, thats great info.

Name:  JimRichardsXAGTCoupe.jpg
Views: 1461
Size:  115.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Haga View Post

Hey Haga, can you flick me an email please: enquiries@monsterracewear.co.nz I emailed you yesterday about this pic, not sure if you got it or not. Thanks.

John, you will get me banned from this site for getting way, way off topic.Name:  rsz_championship_winner.jpg
Views: 2292
Size:  125.9 KB This car was an icon in Queensland, firstly with the driver that built it Lloyd Bax. I bought it off Lloyd and everyone built various cars including Lloyd (E49 Charger) to try and beat it when I owned it. Lloyd became one of my best mates, but we lost him to cancer. That and Queensland Raceway (they closed Lakeside) being a silly circuit were you do not need a lot of ability (IMHO) made me put it in the shed for years. I sold it to Russell Wright- a long story,....................no one could believe i sold it, not even my family.
    Amazing car to drive, 429hp at the rear wheels, 143mph (232KPH)through the left hand kink at Lakeside, and full power slides in 3rd up out of of hungry corner. I am getting goosebumps writing this! It had quite a reputation this car. You even got standing ovations sometimes at the trophy presentations.( from the Wayne Wakefield fan club)
    To put it in perceptive (maybe) it was several seconds a lap quicker around Lakeside than Moffatts GTHO with Moffatt and Kevin Bartlet driving in group C specs. Lloyd used to work on all the Bowdens cars in their extensive collection. These times come from Lloyd.The one that won everything over here. Also quicker than Big Pete Geogahans super falcon which had 600hp+ and fuel injection etc etc.
    Some say it was amazing to watch, and it was the only car that I drove that scared my Wife to death.(around Lakeside). Anyway I am all excited now after talking about it.
    The V8 thing,............I had a choice at one stage, buy the formula Pacific, ( not a good car) or Jimmy Richards Sidchrome Mustang. Jimmy said if I went to Australia with the Mustang, i would not win but I would get noticed. My crew all said they would move to Aussie with me. That would have been interesting.
    Last edited by Steve Emson; 07-23-2012 at 07:30 AM.

A photo of the Phil Schubert car at Pukekohe in 2011. That is one mean looking machine and Phil really drives it hard. Looks and sounds great.

Last edited by kiwi285; 07-23-2012 at 05:25 AM.

Great pix kiwi285. It is amazing that so many of these coupes are XA.
    Hope to add mine soon.

Hi Steve Em-you just keep writing boy.This site has taken a lot more hits since you have been here.
    Pretend this thread is hungry corner-JUST DONT BACK OFF.
    In just one week we have passed 1063 visits, thats the interest in these Fords.
    Great restoration there of the blue XC
    Any video links to see you running in it.
    Any more wheels like that sitting there ?-my HMC XA Coupe would look great on those.
    Paul Newman once wrote...When you are not racing , you are just waiting to race.....
    You know what you want to do.
    Until you do , keep your blood hot here.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 07-23-2012 at 05:18 AM.

Hey Haga, can you flick me an email please: enquiries@monsterracewear.co.nz I emailed you yesterday about this pic, not sure if you got it or not. Thanks.
    Hi Steve.... As per email photo owner happy to publish photo here for info....but not to be published commercially without his permission. cheers Haga