Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GTX Series - Falcon XAGTs

PLEASE be very careful with Carjam info!
    At previous work we CJ'd a car which we were offered, shown to have live reg so we bought it, prepped for sale and then took for a WOF, passed, but the reg had been cancelled 2 months before we did the check. CJ said "not our fault, tough luck".
    Subsequently we checked another 2 vehicles, all OK'd but checked with LTSA and both had been cancelled a number of weeks prior.
    They also said I had a vehicle with a huge amount owing. As it was somewhat older I checked, sure enough, their info said my $2500 car had in excess of $120 000 (yep one hundred and twenty thousand) owing. I got them to check, and they then discovered their info had transposed a digit, VIN number was actually for a B Train. Apology, yeah right! Lost sale.

BJ won the GTX championship during the 1978 season.

Quote Originally Posted by Haga View Post
    There is a Lime Glaze/White InteriorXA GT coupe here in NI. It usually turns up at All Ford Days. Next time I see owner I will ask him if he knows history. Carjam does not show early plate nos for car.

Came across this photo a while back. Beleive it is Jim Richards (judging by door signage)? Any info?

Wow! Where have you been hiding this? Awesome pic, and one I've not seen before. You're right, this is indeed Jim Richards, and I'm 99.99% certain this photo was taken at Manfeild in February 1975. Rob Lester held a 70 lap endurance race in which JR put this Falcon on pole, and was the fastest car throughout, but was beaten to the finish by Inky Tulloch in an E-49 Charger. Tulloch was able to complete the full distance without having to stop for fuel, whereas JR had to pit the thirsty Falcon at least once.

The success of this race prompted Lester to get a Winter Endurance Series off the ground during the winter of 1975, with races held at Manfeild, Pukekohe and Bay Park. JR switched to co-driving a Z28 Camaro with Neville Crichton. I could be wrong, and would love to know for sure, but John Marslin raced an XA hardtop very similar the this one in the Winter Endurance Series. Is this the car Marslin raced?

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Emson View Post
    Photo of Jimmy in XA GTAttachment 9630
    Absolute dynamite photo there Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
    With regard to Bryan thompsons Pic Of the lime green Coupe.
    Barry Lloyd, an Ashburton Earthmoving contractor,who was More effeciantly know to his freinds as "BJ" , may have won the GTX championship on one occasion in one year with this car.
    He had also Competed in the "villa maria 300" around 1975-76 also with the same car. Hi son may have more info to validate those results.

Later on , he went back to 770 or E38 Valiant Chargers which were cars he had previously driven in Production Classes & at the B&H 500. etc.

Post GTX days were taken up with driving Ford Telstars in a production class & later in A Mazda RX7 Series.
    Foot note: as a younger man, He was an enthusiastic Competitor at the Waimate 50 Events in A MK 1 zephyr.
    Thanks for that info. Would be nice to know if the Falcon hardtop survived.

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Hi Steve, yes , that is his car,same as the pix sent to me.The son didnt know what happened to it and was hoping mine was this. No. I am sure a reg check would show something. Did I forget to tell you about the XBGT Sedan-not Coupe this time.Previous owner fitted top loader to it for racing.Well, guess where its heading-yep, into the coupe.That is the one on wheels not the one on the trailer.When Dale was here yesterday showed him the three .Have got correct B/W for the car.Funny the Lime Glaze doe not seem as bright in this photo as on my Coupe, yet it is original colour.I know on the Superbirds they highlighted it emerald-on this its definitely black. I mean, who would repaint their car this colour 80s-90s, even now. Comparable colour to Nevs HQ 350?
    Yeah you did forget to tell me about the XBGT John! Do you know anything about its race history? If you send me an email I can re-size any photos you want to post.

With Richo driving he passed everything but the petrol pump..

I am another one who would love to know the continued life of this XA Coupe after Richo. Dont want any more to end up like Nevs. Also the original racing RPO Coupes in AUS all 6 of them are gone, destroyed -no more. Ours hopefully have survived and need to be feted for that.
    So , now we have 2 known racing XAGT Coupes- the Lime glaze, and the Richo Red. I also know Phil Schubert and Craig Pulmans were the real deal GT Coupes as well. In the early 90s I did the last race meeting at Baypark and there was a red Coupe there-Franks Tyres I think. Falcon Engineering at Hobsonville raced an orange one also.Dont know if they were GTs , sure they were both XAs.Vern Muller had his in the 90s as well. Do Cobra Coupes get a mention on XAGT thread?
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 07-22-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Hi Steve,Damn, the trouble with my garage is that I keep puting thing in and forgetting about them.
    Did I remember to tell you that I had some MACH 3s and MACH 4s also or,...oh no did I forget to tell you about those as wel, man my memory is bad.l.Real muscle bikes.Standing quarter in 12 secs.One used to blow a GTHO into the dust at Kerrs Rd, Wiri in the 70s.Who else was there , apart from me and my loose cannon mate John Whiting? Dennis Marwood had the Custom Car Camaro there-loud!!!
    The photos Steve were 2 stranded red XA Coupes and I was wondering if people may recognise them as ex racing coupes at all or just chicken coopes.The red XBs owner was a circuit racer I do know that.Privacy prevents showing name or rego number.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 07-22-2012 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Emson View Post
    Photo of Jimmy in XA GTAttachment 9630
    Hi John, Yes I do still see Calvin from time to time. He lives in Sydney and I am in Brisbane. I just gave him a hard time about NSW losing to Queensland in the State of Origin recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Wow! Where have you been hiding this? Awesome pic, and one I've not seen before. You're right, this is indeed Jim Richards, and I'm 99.99% certain this photo was taken at Manfeild in February 1975. Rob Lester held a 70 lap endurance race in which JR put this Falcon on pole, and was the fastest car throughout, but was beaten to the finish by Inky Tulloch in an E-49 Charger. Tulloch was able to complete the full distance without having to stop for fuel, whereas JR had to pit the thirsty Falcon at least once.

The success of this race prompted Lester to get a Winter Endurance Series off the ground during the winter of 1975, with races held at Manfeild, Pukekohe and Bay Park. JR switched to co-driving a Z28 Camaro with Neville Crichton. I could be wrong, and would love to know for sure, but John Marslin raced an XA hardtop very similar the this one in the Winter Endurance Series. Is this the car Marslin raced?

Thanks for sharing.
    I have been looking at this car. I think it is Manfield and I think it is possible I was in this race. Possibly driving with Neville Bailey in my little white GTX Datsun Coupe. If it is the same race, we ran out of fuel on the last lap and the car stopped on the circuit. Neville got it started again and we won our class.

Its always a great feeling when the Maroon put away the cockroaches. Calvin must really be suffering.
    Tell us about your racing over there
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 07-22-2012 at 07:11 PM.

I also know Phil Schubert and Craig Pulmans were the real deal GT Coupes as well. In the early 90s I did the last race meeting at Baypark and there was a red Coupe there-Franks Tyres I think. Falcon Engineering at Hobsonville raced an orange one also.Dont know if they were GTs , sure they were both XAs.Vern Muller had his in the 90s as well. Do Cobra Coupes get a mention on XAGT thread?
    As far as Im aware, Phil Schuberts car is the real deal too. Craig Pulmans XBGT coupe (the black car), was also the real deal - was originally a factory wind back sunroof car. Later converted to TraNZam spec with a wild fibreglass flare/front end, and is owned today by an avid Ford owner south of the Bombays. Was it Vern Mullers blue XAGT coupe that got impaled on the tyre at the "Wings and Wheels" classic at Ardmore in the early 90's? I remember the Falcon Engineering coupe too...

Craig went out and bought the car off a car yard.No one picked up a body with hard to track down pieces like today.As Verns car is running XC front ,is that the result of the impaling,I wasnt there.Tell us some more of that day...after all this is your XAGT site.Maybe Vern or his mechanic Spanners was to donate to a good cause here.

Its always a great feeling when the Maroon put away the cockroaches. Calvin must really be suffering.
    Tell us about your racing over there
    In 1994 I bought a Gemini for the Qld State Championship, just to see if I could still drive a car. Mainly for my kids to see that their old man actually did race. Won virtually all the races and the Qld State Championship 1994. Raced a HQ a few times setting the lap records straight at Lakeside. I then bought a XY Falcon GTHO (replica) for Historic racing. I only raced it when I felt like it, but did win 2 Qld State Championships and a few other things with it. This was the fastest car in Qld and even won the muscle car shootout to make it offical. I should have raced V8's years ago as I really enjoyed that car. Stopped racing after 2001. I really spent a lot of time getting Historic group NC & NB off the ground and I created the Qld Cup (with rules so I couldn't win it in the Falcon). Also got Cams to organise the Championship. Took a lot of doing to get these cars out of the sheds and racing. It is now very strong here with big fields.

Sorry to everyone for highjacking the thread.

I could well be wrong, but i had an idea that this is the phil schubert car now.
    does any body know for sure??????????

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post

Thanks for sharing.

Well, hey its the right colour and would answer some questions .
    To Steve Em-you are a part of NZ racing, we are honoured to have you here.You , like a lot of Kiwis are shaping Queensland.-GTHO, Maroons supporter, doesnt get better than that.
    What do you think of the Transam series?
    Keep donating.

Hey Steve Em-you say you should have raced V8s years ago.
    When and why did that magic moment happen.
    You had always been a Datsun icon. Every day in the 70s-80s people would wake up in the morning secure in the knowledge that what ever the day would throw at them ,Steve Emson would always be in a Datsun Coupe.
    To hear this is a real shock to the system.I can live with this news,because you chose the brand that I like.
    Why dont you bring the car -should comply if its a replica-over and have a play with us in the Historic Muscle Cars in January? Dale needs a playmate on the front of the grid
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 07-23-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Hi Steve Em-Looking at your accomplishments over there is phenominal. Firstly that is quite an achievement in racing the Falcon.
    Getting CAMS to organize a Championship also a milestone On both sides of the Tasman we all agree that for motor racing it is vital to get cars out of sheds and on the track.Even sorting out classes to run in is a minefield. I am a strong Historic person, modern running gear in these old cars is hot rodding, nascar motors belong on nascar tracks.I love to see the XY and XAGT running as they were designed, warts and all.
    Please tell us more of your experiences over there. Any lessons learnt are worth listening to

Quote Originally Posted by Haga View Post
    There is a Lime Glaze/White InteriorXA GT coupe here in NI. It usually turns up at All Ford Days. Next time I see owner I will ask him if he knows history. Carjam does not show early plate nos for car.

Came across this photo a while back. Beleive it is Jim Richards (judging by door signage)? Any info?

Hey Haga, can you flick me an email please: enquiries@monsterracewear.co.nz I emailed you yesterday about this pic, not sure if you got it or not. Thanks.