Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Other' Ferrari 250 GTO

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Did you ever find out why it sounded different David?
    No I didn't. Just put it down to the acoustics of the setting (though Spa is hardly like any NZ circuit I can recall )
    Maybe they'd made some change to the exhaust system for the faster circuit, which brought the note closer to my memory

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    As we don't have a dedicated books thread, this might be a suitable place to mention that Enzo Ferrari's Secret War, by modest RS member David Manton, is now available. It has a lot about Pat Hoare and the GTO conversion, amidst lots of other fascinating revelations
    Details at http://www.ferrarisecretwar.com/buy.html

Excellent call, David. I've fired in an order for a copy with amazon.com, at the mo the book is listed as Not Yet Available, however they are very good and will always email you when your order is about to be dispatched. Has all the ingredients of a genuine Ripping Yarn !

I have fond memories of this car. Logan Fow was my teacher at primary school in the 60's and he'd often bring it to school where I would literally stare at it in awe until the morning bell rang. I can still picture the scrapping of its underside as he drove it over the curbing into the school car park... and the engine sound, don't even get me started on that!
    I also went to his house several times (my aunt was also a teacher at the same school) in the hope of getting a glimpse or (better still) a ride in this amazing machine... there was nothing else like it and it certainly had a big impact on me.

As for Logan, I understand he wasn't short of a penny and was only teaching for the love of it. I understand his families wealth came from Turners and Fows (later to become Turners and Growers). Logan was probably the most eccentric person I've ever known, but in the best possible way... and yes, his house was full of kites.

Hey Chris, great story!

Then again, having seen it race in the hands of Nigel Corner, himself a bloody good pedaller, and with that howling V12, it makes for an amazing car in its current guise. Not to mention, a memorable one.
    Just off the top of my head, was this the same chassis that was cartwheeled at a goodwood revival a couple of years back? pretty sure it was Mr corner that was dispatched from behind the wheel

Hi there Roger, yes it was. I think the crash stirred up talk of more safety equipment such as compulsory rollecages being fitted to these cars to which the Corner's responded by saying they would retire their cars immediately if that happened.

hello Steve, this site(which appears is you creation ) is fantastic. I have only come across this evening,
    On the ferrari subject i had a funny feeling this was rebuilt back to Phill hill spec with V6 dino engine?
    Am i correct???????

Semi-Pro Racer
    Hi there Roger, yes it was. I think the crash stirred up talk of more safety equipment such as compulsory rollecages being fitted to these cars to which the Corner's responded by saying they would retire their cars immediately if that happened.
    That doesn't ring any bells
    Nigel did run the car once or twice after that
    It's the millionaires' insurance companies, not wimpy drivers, who are behind the pressure for rollover bars

Photos before and after we removed the body from the Hoare/ Fow Ferrari.

[ATTACH]30Name:  Top-2.jpg
Views: 1881
Size:  70.3 KBName:  Top.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  73.9 KB32[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images  

As posting those photos took more than all my computer skills, I couldn't figure how to include text: These are some photos I took when we removed the NZ built GTO bodywork from the Ferrari before sending it off to Neil Corner. The original single seater chassis was remarkably intact and original underneath when the bodywork was removed, including the rear mounted fuel and oil tanks even down to most of the single seat body mounts etc.. Logan had either got the single seater bodywork when he bought the car from Pat Hoare or acquired it subsequently but it was all there and intact when we shipped the car. Logan took the GTO bodywork away as Neil Corner had no interest in it.
    Last edited by Howard Wood; 08-14-2011 at 06:26 AM.

World Champion
    What neat pictures posted by Howard of the 'naked' GTO, obviously on Logans drive. Wonder what happened to the bodywork as it apparently didn't go with the rest of the car. Howard do you know? Does anyone know whether Logan is still alive, as there doesn't seem to be a listing in the telephone directory, not that that means anything. Wouldn't it be great to have a chat to him about the GTO in his ownership. Restored PROPERLY today that would be one hell of a car.

World Champion
    I'm sure it must have been Logan who christened the GTO...'CHARLOTTE'..... Doesn't sound like something the ever-so proper Mr Hoare would have called it. I suppose 'Charlotte' conjures up an image of a beautiful woman. The GTO was certainly that. And it appears that Logan is no longer with us.....one of Hamiltons characters thats for sure. I have a rather nice, and very complicated kite which always reminds me of Logan.....can still see him down on Innes Common trying to tame some contraption he had coaxed into the air.

Logan always referred to the car as "Charlotte" but I have no idea about the name's origin. Logan died several years ago and was a most eccentric but engaging person. His Grandfather was a 4 times mayor of Hamilton during the '20's and the Fow's Furniture (or was it Flooring) store in central Hamilton was one of the family businesses.

The photos are actually taken in front of my parent's house in Hamilton where John Anderson and I removed the body after I brokered the sale to Neil Corner. I was back in NZ for the Jan '78 Formula Pacific series but had had a major pre season testing accident at Puke (after a mechanical failure but doesn't everyone say that) and was in plaster waiting to go back into hospital for more bone grafts at the time so had a bit of time on my hands!

I understand the "GTO" bodywork still exists, to me the proportions didn't look right and it really was the most impractical road car imaginable. Although many people, including on this forum, think it was a loss to change the car back but it was the last Ferrari front engined Formula One car and I still think that is the correct historical spec for it. At least that's how I rationalised it at the time!
    Last edited by Howard Wood; 08-14-2011 at 06:33 AM.

World Champion
    Howard, you say....'thats how I rationalized it at the time'.....it sounds as though you had serious doubts that you were doing the right thing back then!

I did, but only as regards the car leaving NZ. The continuation and preservation of the car was more more certain with Neil Corner's money and Dick Crostlewaithe and John Gardiner's restoration skills than by being driven on NZ roads by Logan.

Oh, and I had just destroyed my race car, my "career" was toast, I was completely broke as well as broken so I needed the commission money from the Ferrari sale.
    Last edited by Howard Wood; 08-14-2011 at 09:02 AM.

Wow, Howard, those are wonderful photos! Thanks so much for posting them.

I had the pleasure of driving this car when Logan owned it. He also was a very keen caver and often threw all his muddy overalls and stuff in the car!
    He picked up a hitchhiker when on his way to Wellington. Apparently the poor guy hardly spoke after about Cambridge, and Logan was somewhat surprised that he was not thanked for the 6 hour trip.
    The reverse gear fitted by the Hoare empire is another story in itself.

Great story Oldfart! What was the Ferrari like to drive?

World Champion
    Oldfart, please tell us what it was like to drive the GTO, because I'm sure there are lots of us on here who would like a first hand description. Imagine driving it to Wellington!!!!! Logan must have been a TRUE enthusiast. Wonder how many miles to gallon it did, not that it mattered to him, and the fact that it must have been reasonably tractable to do that sort of journey. Still I think your senses would be somewhat dulled after 6 hours in that cockpit. I can imagine the hitch-hiker clasping his groin in an attempt to protect vital organs from the gears, when then eventually escaped from the box!!!!! All that singing and whining must have kicked up quite a racket. And what about the heat? I'm not even sure that the windows rolled down, but they may have. A pioneer motorist if ever there was one. Brings back memories of Ron Roycroft driving the Bugatti from one end of the country to the other. Tough guys.

Jackie Stewart drove this car in two seat form at Wigram on the Friday practice day in 1966?
    Lots of photographers were around the Ferrari when he came in but I have never seen a photograph of the occasion - someone from Christchurch must have a copy somewhere!
    Last edited by Kwaussie; 09-29-2011 at 01:23 PM.