Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Other' Ferrari 250 GTO

Semi-Pro Racer
    There's one in David Manton's recently published book Enzo Ferrari's Secret War

Somebody asked what it was like to drive. Remember this was 1967. Now just because I drove it, does NOT mean that I gave it any "welly", in fact I thought it was a bit of a bucket of bolts. My sports car, TF replica with a B series was actually nicer to drive. Obviously not the performance, but the GTO rattled and shook and banged around some. The box was not easy to use, and in all reality it took away any enthusiasm for the Prancing Horse which is yet to return. I suspect that being able to use it on other than suburban streets might have been a lot different.
    When Logan negotiated to buy the car, one of his stipulations was that it must have reverse gear.
    Not long after he got it back to Hamilton reverse failed, when the transaxle was pulled down it was soon apparent why. Someone in Christchurch had simply taken out a set of gears, and replaced them with sprockets and chain. This might have worked, had something a bit stronger than pushbike chain been used! The other notable thing was the bits of road metal inside the case!
    One of the other memorable things was the use of the fuel tank from the single seater days, this meant that to fill it you reached inside with the fuel nozzle and filled approximately where the parcel shelf would have been on any other car. Of course the fumes hung round too, as well as any spillage.
    Logan was an inveterate collector, had most of the remaining Mistrals in his yard at the time.

WOW this is an interesting thread !!
    Im not into this era of car probably cos I'm too young but the car owners are themselves as interesting as the car
    Will we ever see people like them again??
    How many racing Ferrari cars where in NZ?
    not just passing thru to race but lived there?
    Im not a ferrari fanatic but i think a ferrari living in NZ is more interesting than any ferrari living anywhere else in the world
    Logan sounds like an interesting character and can you imagine being at school and your teacher effectively comes to school in an F1 car WOW !
    Yes I know Im behind you guys, i like warm beer and it rains a lot here too.

Quote Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
    Im not into this era of car probably cos I'm too young but the car owners are themselves as interesting as the car
    Will we ever see people like them again??
    How many racing Ferrari cars where in NZ?
    not just passing thru to race but lived there?
    Im not a ferrari fanatic but i think a ferrari living in NZ is more interesting than any ferrari living anywhere else in the world
    Logan sounds like an interesting character and can you imagine being at school and your teacher effectively comes to school in an F1 car WOW !
    Well probably the most significant Ferrari that held NZ ownership would be the 375 that Froilan Gonzales raced to victory at the British GP in 1951. This car spent many years in NZ, owned and raced by Ron Roycroft.

Perhaps the most colourful Ferrari, as far as its post GP racing history goes, was the 555 that ended up being fitted with a Morris Minor body and small block Chevy motor: http://www.theroaringseason.com/show...hlight=morrari

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    ...the 375 that Froilan Gonzales raced to victory at the British GP in 1951
    Prove it
    There's a lot of dispute (outside NZ) about this. There seems no doubt the Roycroft car was 375/2, the same number as the Gonzalez British GP winner. But was the Gonzalez 1951 375/2 the same as the 375/2 supplied to Rosier in 1952 (and hence to Roycroft)?
    (I don't know the answer)

Semi-Pro Racer
    How many racing Ferrari cars were in NZ?
    Six F1-based cars:
    1. The Roycroft 375 as above
    2. Supersqualo FL9001
    3. Supersqualo FL9002 (briefly)
    4. Pat Hoare 4-cylinder special
    5. Pat Hoare V12-engined Dino 246
    6. Graeme Lawrence rear-engined Dino 246

And among sports/racing cars:
    1. 750 Monza
    2. 250LM (briefly)
    and post-period
    3. 375MM
    4. 500/750/850

there is the whitehead monza that jenson drove .had plenty of debates over this car ,the car was a 860 with a 3.4 mtr.the same mtr. an gearbox as his and parnells squallos.it sat in newmarket for some time up for sale. but did not sell it had two bulges in the bonet and adiferent grill. sadly moes publication refer to them as 750 monzas!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Prove it
    There's a lot of dispute (outside NZ) about this. There seems no doubt the Roycroft car was 375/2, the same number as the Gonzalez British GP winner. But was the Gonzalez 1951 375/2 the same as the 375/2 supplied to Rosier in 1952 (and hence to Roycroft)?
    (I don't know the answer)
    Wow! Thanks David.

Six F1-based cars:
    1. The Roycroft 375 as above
    2. Supersqualo FL9001who had this car
    3. Supersqualo FL9002 (briefly) when you say briefly educate me- was this owned by the owner of 9001?
    4. Pat Hoare 4-cylinder special
    5. Pat Hoare V12-engined Dino 246
    6. Graeme Lawrence rear-engined Dino 246
    how many cars remain in NZ?

And among sports/racing cars:
    1. 750 Monza
    2. 250LM (briefly) was it on loan or sold back to northern hemisphere?
    and post-period what do you call post period
    3. 375MM
    4. 500/750/850
    anyone able to post photos?

I managed to get a copy of David's book here via Amazon, really enjoyed the story and of course obviously very well researched.

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    There's one in David Manton's recently published book Enzo Ferrari's Secret War

Semi-Pro Racer
    To briefly answer driftwood’s questions:

Single-seaters:
    2 and 3. After Parnell and Whitehead had campaigned the Supersqualos in the NZ international series they sold them to local drivers Tom Clark (FL9001) and John McMillan (FL9002). After only a handful of NZ events both new owners took them to Australia to race: McMillan sold his car there – hence its “brief” time in NZ ownership

Of the six cars resident in NZ at various times, the total remaining is 0

Sportscars:
    2. The ownership of the LM was never entirely clear. It was believed to have been owned in NZ by Andrew Buchanan, but was returned to Scuderia Veloce in Australia, who had campaigned it before, so maybe it was a lease deal. As far as I know it’s never raced in the Northern Hemisphere, unless in historic tacing comparitively recently

3 and 4. I should have had a colon after the ‘post-period’. Both these cars were imported long after they had ceased to be competitive propositions (or indeed compliant with any regulations)

When these cars came south to race was it part of the deal that the cars had to be sold to locals as part of the import tax/import bond? or is that an urban myth

Semi-Pro Racer
    Depends if you were lucky enough to find a buyer
    There was certainly never any compulsion for the cars to be sold

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Wood View Post
    Logan always referred to the car as "Charlotte" but I have no idea about the name's origin. Logan died several years ago and was a most eccentric but engaging person. His Grandfather was a 4 times mayor of Hamilton during the '20's and the Fow's Furniture (or was it Flooring) store in central Hamilton was one of the family businesses.

The photos are actually taken in front of my parent's house in Hamilton where John Anderson and I removed the body after I brokered the sale to Neil Corner. I was back in NZ for the Jan '78 Formula Pacific series but had had a major pre season testing accident at Puke (after a mechanical failure but doesn't everyone say that) and was in plaster waiting to go back into hospital for more bone grafts at the time so had a bit of time on my hands!

I understand the "GTO" bodywork still exists, to me the proportions didn't look right and it really was the most impractical road car imaginable. Although many people, including on this forum, think it was a loss to change the car back but it was the last Ferrari front engined Formula One car and I still think that is the correct historical spec for it. At least that's how I rationalised it at the time!
    The bodywork was stored in Te Awamutu in the nineties and is probably still there. Next time I'm in Te Awamutu I'll call on the chap.

When these cars came south to race was it part of the deal that the cars had to be sold to locals as part of the import tax/import bond? or is that an urban myth
    I always thought that one of the reasons the local drivers took their newly acquired imported cars across to Australia to race was that they avoided having to pay the import tax/import bond.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Slightly different point to the one raised but, yes, it was an attraction for Australian and New Zealanders to take their car out of the country once a year if they had entered the country under bond. I presume there came a time when the value of the car was sufficiently reduced for the bond to be payable - or did the bond apply only for a limited time?

i think the 250lm was owned by david mckay when spencer martin raced it later on he {dmc }crased in front of fagio ,i remember him saying he could put out his hand and touched ,,he then rebuilt it and a group of them owned it

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes, David McKay = Scuderia Veloce

david the 500 you mention is that the kenny smith mondel he owned with graham lawrence had no body???