Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: The 'Other' Ferrari 250 GTO

On u tube dial fangio v brabham see 1978 sandown race ,following year {79}was when david mckay smashed the 250LM quite badly an oil line putting oil on tyres was the reason!!

are you the jim short that they tell me ,who had a bit to do with the first custaxie that was made.

no sorry just a poor old truck driver who did ent even have a state house to live in went to tokoroa in 1958 never saw the custie run

silverstone around 1995.

Just noticed a wee snippet in the article which Wally posted in the McBegg thread that says Don McDonald used this car for a crack at the Speed record but "only" did 152.3mph.

Semi-Pro Racer
    "Only" in that they were chasing a 10-year-old class record which stood at 157.4mph

David do you know any thing about the ferrari sports kenny had in his storage for several yrs.???

Semi-Pro Racer
    Assuming we're talking about the same one, it had started life as a 2-litre Mondial raced at Macau in the mid '50s, then had the engine replaced by a 3.0, thereby becoming in effect a 750 Monza. When Kenny acquired it in Singapore (initially at least in partnership with Graeme Lawrence) in the 1970s it was with a 3.4-litre engine, ie, an 860 Monza. He couldn't get a body built for it and eventually sold it, still unrestored and bodyless, overseas around 1986. I believe it's now back in 2.0 Mondial spec

Hi thanks thats the one

The Mondial Jim refers to and Dave gives the history on was a car I saw in Kenny's lockup which had a big dog on a running chain which was best to keep on the right side of. I have a photo some where. Was a very dirty looking thing and I did not know what I was looking at except it had this perky little twin cam (4 cyl ??) motor standing upright in the engine bay. I think it had some body attached.
    Beside it was a 500 Cooper look alike that had been used in Hillclimbs by ?? (well known name) who I may remember in due course. It was very dirty and rudimentary with grip tyres and think had a 500 motor.
    Later I heard the story about a car having some joint ownership issues which sounds like the Mondial I saw. Hell that must have been over 25 yrs ago!!
    If I can sort out how to post photos I will put them on. When I scan them it says they are too big. Any help to this newbie welcome....Chris Read.

Chris, re the pics, there is a good site you can use called Tinypic, where you can upload your photo and resize it to what you need, then you just copy and paste the info into the forum here. Really easy to use. Quite a few members on here use it. The tools here on the forum are also easy to use, but you need to have the photos at a small enough size they'll be accepted, which seems to be your stumbling block. Tinypic can be found here: http://tinypic.com/index.php

Just email me if you have any questions, would love to see your photos: enquiries@monsterracewear.co.nz

Can't find the photo of the little Mondial in Kenny's lock up referred to earlier above, but have found one of the Cooper type look a like that was sitting along side the Ferrari. Has Duckams sponsored and a twin. Was used in hName:  K Smith car 80s 2 001.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  46.5 KBillclimbs and pretty rough. Any one recognise it? Chris Read, Arrowtown.

Semi-Pro Racer
    It does look very Cooper-like. Could it be the RGR?

Not the RGR, it never had a Vincent

Semi-Pro Racer
    I've just had a quick flick through my photos - reckon it's Steve Boreham's MkX Cooper, which did run a Vincent (as well as just about every other motorcycle engine you can think of) and did go to Ken Smith. Towards the end of its long hillclimbing life the car ran with a horizontal nose stripe as in Chris's photo

Yes the shed was full of Minor gards and bonets ect stacked to the roof,all ex Dominion Mtrs. I guess

I reckon you are right David, as usual.

You are right...Steve Boreham was the guy I was trying to remember...will leave the car id to you. I reckon I was in Kenny's lockup in the early 80's.
    Another mystery solved. Chris Read,Arrowtown.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x30...o#.UY4J45NjXSh
    link
    The hoare car "bucking" it pilot
    Last edited by rogered; 05-13-2013 at 11:39 PM.