Thread: Elfin 400 and Lola T70 Baypark Raceway 1969

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer

Heron Mk 1 Bay Park

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    My photos (which would not reproduce ) from that meeting don't seem to have the rollbar as it appears on the mystery car, but I would not be positive on that. The rear wheel almost looks an open wheeler one!
    See this detail of original photo, slightly enhanced as to colour, contrast, etc. Sorry about size, something not right with usual "Postimage" facility.

[/url]Name:  Heron Detail.JPG
Views: 676
Size:  11.1 KB

I think you are on the money, Oldfart.

Rear wheel does look like an open wheel. I thought maybe it was rear of clubman car, but car in photo is obviously rear-engined! "Rollbar" you mention is not rollbar, it is the side stringer of a small flight of steps leading from trackside to top of bank.

Car appears to be the Robertson Heron, but without rear section of body(at least). Driver is looking over his left shoulder, maybe saying "where's my tail gone? It was there a minute ago!"

Does this scenario ring any bells for anybody? Did he start without tail due to a practice shunt, or did it come off in the paddock? Don't think they necessarily had warm-up laps then??

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer
    On second thoughts (or 3rd or 4th.....), as it would be a 2-2-2-2- grid, more likely Robertson is looking over his shoulder because he is backing into his grid position, perhaps having been late onto the grid and having to dive in from the side.
    Did anyone take a photo? Did he race the car without the tail section and did it affect the aerodynamics? Who knows (or cares?).

Stu

The rear body from memory got its first modification when the "big Handle " exhaust was fitted ,later I think wider wheels and tyres went on to it ,with more mods to fit the same ,Jamie A.might remember ,it may well have run with out the reat body at some time,
    I will check what further info I have retained from that period

I presume that these are the cars the thread was started about.

Getting back to the front row a B/P it was Baron In the M/k one HERON Jamie A