Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elfin 400 and Lola T70 Baypark Raceway 1969

Elfin 400 and Lola T70 Baypark Raceway 1969

I recently discovered this picture. I enjoyed watching all of the big banger sports cars from around this time.

Me too! And I would love to see it..

The most important thing on the Elfin 400- it was a big block. The others that were built by Elfin in Aus were not big block.That I believe makes it all the more unique. Graham Harvey also removed the original Elfin body that Buchanan ran it with , and got a GEMCO Special body of Pederson to put on it.

Found this in old scrap book
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Would Buchanan in the Elfin be Andy Buchanan? Bloody neat picture Rod!

Yes, Andrew Buchanan was the original owner/pedaller, Steve. Car was a crisp white with one red stripe down the side. Later, under Harv's ownership it was pale blue with orange stripes outlined in black. In either guise, it was one horn machine.

And we're STILL keen to see colinjt's pic from the original post...

Weekend Warrior
    Even better we would love to see some pictures and see the condition it is in today

Cheers
    Lynds

Hay Guy I think that is Puki as I was racing the cooper with the Supercharged 3.8 in it Jamie

Journeyman Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Hay Guy I think that is Puki as I was racing the cooper with the Supercharged 3.8 in it Jamie
    I think you are correct Jamie, I remember we celebrated your 50th in the pub that night ;-)

As an aside, the Pukekohe esses pic wouldn't be from 1969 either. Harvey would have been in the Elfin by then, and Jim Boyd pedalling the Stanton Corvette. The pic is most likely from the '67/'68 season, and Boyd was probably not far behind in the Lycoming.
    Which he'd probably driven to the meeting...

If that is the date no I would not have been there Jamie

Must have been away celebrating your 49th then, Jamie...

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    Yes, Andrew Buchanan was the original owner/pedaller, Steve. Car was a crisp white with one red stripe down the side. Later, under Harv's ownership it was pale blue with orange stripes outlined in black. In either guise, it was one horn machine.

And we're STILL keen to see colinjt's pic from the original post...
    Ahh, wow, thanks. Thats great info. The Ferrari he raced was well documented, but I didn't seem to know about the Elfin. Andy actually lives about 20 mins form me and is good mates with the guy who lives across the road. I keep meaning to organise to meet him.

He popped up in a Brabham, then the Ferrari, then the Elfin, then I gather packed in the racing to go back to being what he was always described as, a "gentleman farmer" from the Masterton area, if I recall. Certainly had some good tackle at his disposal during a short career.

Hi Steve, there is no shortage of documentation on the Elfin out there under Buchanan and Harvey ,maybe a bit hazy with subsequent owners. Harvey change the big block 396 to a 350

Finally, the picture ! Thanks Colin, worth the wait. But the question is, to what car does exhaust of the third starter on the front row, just visible behind the Elfin, belong ?

I believe it was the Daimler Heron, a strange looking car and never really up there with the Lola and Elfin.

I don't recollect the Heron Daimler with anything other than 8 separate pipes going up.

John Moynahan in the Stanton Corvette , maybe?