Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Elfin 400 and Lola T70 Baypark Raceway 1969

Hmmm, now that you mention the Heron, maybe it was Baron Robertson in the Heron with the upswept chrome exhaust. Don't recall the Stanton Corvette having anything othert than twin drainpipe exhausts straight out the back.

Definitely not. The Heron had all pipes pointing skyward and I am familiar with the Stanton Corvette. There is a thread on Sports cars in NZ from this era and there are a few pics of the Heron there showing those features.
    Last edited by colinjt; 04-21-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: adding more information

Semi-Pro Racer

Not That Heron, the Other One

Quote Originally Posted by colinjt View Post
    Definitely not. The Heron had all pipes pointing skyward and I am familiar with the Stanton Corvette. There is a thread on Sports cars in NZ from this era and there are a few pics of the Heron there showing those features.

This is the Mk 1 Heron Baron Robertson at the wheel Pukekohe December 1967. At that stage it had a Lotus TwinCam engine.

Stu Buchanan (not related to Andy, well not that Andy)

Semi-Pro Racer
    I think the photo may well be from the Bay Park Gold Star meeting on 16 November 1969.

Front row would be Boyd, Harvey, and a 'clubmans' type car, possibly Bob Hyslop's JRM(?). Lola #44 would be D Wallace.

Stu

Checked out the thread - Kiwi big banger Sports Cars of late 60s to early 70s in the hope of identifying that particular car but did not have any luck. Hard to tell if the number is 44 or 14. Sadly picture quality makes it hard to be sure (only an Instamatic camera)

I'm sure it's 44, think it's the ex-Ivy Lola. Yep, that's the Heron I meant. Maybe the amazing Milan will appear and help us out...

My photos (which would not reproduce ) from that meeting don't seem to have the rollbar as it appears on the mystery car, but I would not be positive on that. The rear wheel almost looks an open wheeler one!

My Motorman mag from Bay Park, Oct 4 Gold Star says Baron Robertsons Heron ran third throughout- ie third on grid, third at finish. Bob Hyslop 4th,then Aislabies Cooper Jaguar and Lola Climax of Dave Wallace.
    Tom Donovan could not race in the Handicap as he jad no overalls.
    Next race meeting at Bay Park was November 16 ,also Gold Star.Third fastest time in practice was Bob Hyslops potent little 1.6 JRM Ford.
    That would put him next to the big boys at the front. Dave Wallace was next in the Lola 1.2 ,then the Stanton
    Hope this info helps.
    Jamie A would remember I am sure
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 04-21-2013 at 08:34 PM.

The third car in the photo with the upswept exhaust is I believe the Heron of Baron Robertsn ,I had some discussion with Baron about buying the car about the time of that meeting as he was wanting to move onwards and upwards and I think it was on the merit of that meeting that discussion took place ,its strange actually I nearly brought that car of Baron twice over the period of his ownership at different times but he could never quite put the next part of his move in place
    Last edited by bob homewood; 04-22-2013 at 04:11 AM.

Bob-. just been reading an article on you fitting a supercharger to an A40 Farina in 69/70
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 04-22-2013 at 01:41 AM.

(Tom Donovan could not race in the Handicap as he had no overalls.)

Tom saving weight as usual...

I have seen a photo of the Heron Daimler V8 at port road sprint in wellington with 4 into 1 pipes on each bank

Where was that article ,that was my mates car !
    Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Bob-. just been reading an article on you fitting a supercharger to an A40 Farina in 69/70

Bob-I can scan this and send to you as an email
    Motorman April 1969-Improving the breed-case for the Blower, by Graeme Booth.
    2 hour job to fit it, longer to fit the pulleys.
    Have Larrys D-Type here

Semi-Pro Racer

Heron Mk 1 Bay Park

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    My photos (which would not reproduce ) from that meeting don't seem to have the rollbar as it appears on the mystery car, but I would not be positive on that. The rear wheel almost looks an open wheeler one!
    See this detail of original photo, slightly enhanced as to colour, contrast, etc. Sorry about size, something not right with usual "Postimage" facility.

[/url]Name:  Heron Detail.JPG
Views: 674
Size:  11.1 KB

I think you are on the money, Oldfart.

Rear wheel does look like an open wheel. I thought maybe it was rear of clubman car, but car in photo is obviously rear-engined! "Rollbar" you mention is not rollbar, it is the side stringer of a small flight of steps leading from trackside to top of bank.

Car appears to be the Robertson Heron, but without rear section of body(at least). Driver is looking over his left shoulder, maybe saying "where's my tail gone? It was there a minute ago!"

Does this scenario ring any bells for anybody? Did he start without tail due to a practice shunt, or did it come off in the paddock? Don't think they necessarily had warm-up laps then??

Stu

Semi-Pro Racer
    On second thoughts (or 3rd or 4th.....), as it would be a 2-2-2-2- grid, more likely Robertson is looking over his shoulder because he is backing into his grid position, perhaps having been late onto the grid and having to dive in from the side.
    Did anyone take a photo? Did he race the car without the tail section and did it affect the aerodynamics? Who knows (or cares?).

Stu

The rear body from memory got its first modification when the "big Handle " exhaust was fitted ,later I think wider wheels and tyres went on to it ,with more mods to fit the same ,Jamie A.might remember ,it may well have run with out the reat body at some time,
    I will check what further info I have retained from that period

I presume that these are the cars the thread was started about.

OH so Cool after all these years Jamie A

Getting back to the front row a B/P it was Baron In the M/k one HERON Jamie A