Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Widebody S4 Lotus Seven

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Widebody S4 Lotus Seven

Last edited by Paul Wilkinson; 03-22-2016 at 02:03 AM.

Hi there Paul, yes this is definitely the right place to post your request. I'm sure someone on here will be able to help. Good luck with your search.

does Bob sell these 25 bhp stickers ? like to see a pic of this car

Hi Paul,

I also have a wide body S4, the ex- Murray Bryden car that ran in the Australian Sports Car Championships (when it was for Production Sports Cars) in 1980 - 81. A mate has just finished a wide body conversion on a Norwich S4 and there is also the ex- Dick Smith S4 still running around out of Canberra.

My car ran 1840cc TC, injected and 5 speed Hollinger though laterly it ran with a Pinto 2 Litre and 4 speed. I will be putting it back to TC as time and funds allow.

Do you know if Steele Bros actually produced a wide body version or did Charlie produce a one-off?

I would be interesting to compare notes. I will scan some photo's.

CCR

Quote Originally Posted by aussiemonza View Post
    Hi Paul,

I also have a wide body S4, the ex- Murray Bryden car that ran in the Australian Sports Car Championships (when it was for Production Sports Cars) in 1980 - 81. A mate has just finished a wide body conversion on a Norwich S4 and there is also the ex- Dick Smith S4 still running around out of Canberra.

My car ran 1840cc TC, injected and 5 speed Hollinger though laterly it ran with a Pinto 2 Litre and 4 speed. I will be putting it back to TC as time and funds allow.

Do you know if Steele Bros actually produced a wide body version or did Charlie produce a one-off?

I would be interesting to compare notes. I will scan some photo's.

CCR
    Aussiemonza
    I have just found this site whilst browsing The Nostalgia Forum" on Autosport and came across this forum which I have a VERY personal interest in. I have read through all the comments and I think perhaps a few of them need to be discussed further.
    In my opinion any resemblance between the MB car and a Lotus Super 7 Series 4 was purely coincidental. To this day I still don't know how it ever got a CAMS Group D log book. I did a hell of a lot of research on S4 sevens and went to Pomgolia to purchase the real thing after mant discussions with "the powers that be at CAMS". I got my log book only to find that MB then got a log book for what was basically a "hot rod". My memory was that it was powered by a full house Cosworth FVA or BDA can't remember which one and the chassis bore no resemblance to a S4 chassis. Any way that is all in the past, he got away with it so good luck to him. He certainly kept the 934's on their toes at the tight circuits!
    As for my old car in Canberra. I converted my race car back to a road car( ie bolted on some road wheels and tyres) and sold it to a chap called Ian (?) McLaren. I was told on good authority that he was killed in the car when it took off on the Westgate Freeway in Melbourne and hit a road sign and burst into flames. If that is not the case I will be very happy to know that Ian and car are still OK.!! My car was a Lotus factory built 7 and had the chassis plate to prove it so if anybody has any info on "current" owner wouldn't mind contacting him/her as I live just down the road on Vic/NSW border.
    Will post some more info to set the record straight about racing 7's and some photos of my car undergoing "wide body conversion" and build if any interest.
    DS

Quote Originally Posted by W154 View Post
    Aussiemonza
    I have just found this site whilst browsing The Nostalgia Forum" on Autosport and came across this forum which I have a VERY personal interest in. I have read through all the comments and I think perhaps a few of them need to be discussed further.
    In my opinion any resemblance between the MB car and a Lotus Super 7 Series 4 was purely coincidental. To this day I still don't know how it ever got a CAMS Group D log book. I did a hell of a lot of research on S4 sevens and went to Pomgolia to purchase the real thing after mant discussions with "the powers that be at CAMS". I got my log book only to find that MB then got a log book for what was basically a "hot rod". My memory was that it was powered by a full house Cosworth FVA or BDA can't remember which one and the chassis bore no resemblance to a S4 chassis. Any way that is all in the past, he got away with it so good luck to him. He certainly kept the 934's on their toes at the tight circuits!
    As for my old car in Canberra. I converted my race car back to a road car( ie bolted on some road wheels and tyres) and sold it to a chap called Ian (?) McLaren. I was told on good authority that he was killed in the car when it took off on the Westgate Freeway in Melbourne and hit a road sign and burst into flames. If that is not the case I will be very happy to know that Ian and car are still OK.!! My car was a Lotus factory built 7 and had the chassis plate to prove it so if anybody has any info on "current" owner wouldn't mind contacting him/her as I live just down the road on Vic/NSW border.
    Will post some more info to set the record straight about racing 7's and some photos of my car undergoing "wide body conversion" and build if any interest.
    DS
    W154, PM sent.

MB ended up running an all alloy 2lt Alloy Twin Cam on injection in 1981 (he tells me) but sold the car in 1982 to the Alan Jones Driving Centre/Jim Murcott without the Twin Cam, 5 speed g'box, and centre-lock wheels. Murcott put the Pinto in, 4 speed and Rebels. That's how I got it after being fire damaged.

CCR

Aussiemonza
    DS
    I too would love to see pics.

I was hoping we would have heard from W154 by now!

Aussiemonza
    DS
    As requested
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi sounds like the rex nalder car he lives in tauranga ,,spent $$$ to make it fly;; jaimie worked on it in rotorua i have vidio competing against paton ,early 80s rex sold me his E type roadster in 81 for $20,000 then missed the fun and bought this strange 7 he raced at wigram83?? it blew up if i remember would rev to9000??

prety shure rex got it of steel bros, but looking back whaat seemed ages wasent that long maybe he only had it a yr.???

World Champion
    S4 - to post a pic scroll down to the Go Advanced tab then click on the manage attachments

Hi
    When we raced them we made a few changes to stiffen things up a bit. We had a brace across the front to support the tops of the towers. the rear end was the one point that gave the most problems. the chassis when loader had a habit of breaking at the base of the roll bar mounting tube or where the top arm bolted to the very rear of the chassis where bolted to the body. The other problem was the big rubber bush the located the lower arm to the diff. We replaced these and made the rear end more placed and didn't move around as much, the bushes had so much movement in them it was almost impossable to control the rear end. If a bar is placed in the bottom of the boot and linked the body and the chassis, with the 2 top suspension arms together alot of the rear flex is also removed. All this flex contributed to the axle trmping that was common.

Hi Trevor
    What is the Chassis number of your 7. I have a list of most of the cars

Quote Originally Posted by S4seven View Post
    Hi Trevor
    What is the Chassis number of your 7. I have a list of most of the cars
    S4seven. where do the numbers "3060" and "3995" fit in?

Quote Originally Posted by aussiemonza View Post
    S4seven. where do the numbers "3060" and "3995" fit in?
    The above photo will answer 1 of your questions.

DA

Looking for advice on what the pedal bracket was on a SteeleBro S4? Was it a donor part (Triumph/Ford) or a Lotus/SteelBro fabricated part?

Quote Originally Posted by S4seven View Post
    Hi
    When we raced them we made a few changes to stiffen things up a bit. We had a brace across the front to support the tops of the towers. the rear end was the one point that gave the most problems. the chassis when loader had a habit of breaking at the base of the roll bar mounting tube or where the top arm bolted to the very rear of the chassis where bolted to the body. The other problem was the big rubber bush the located the lower arm to the diff. We replaced these and made the rear end more placed and didn't move around as much, the bushes had so much movement in them it was almost impossable to control the rear end. If a bar is placed in the bottom of the boot and linked the body and the chassis, with the 2 top suspension arms together alot of the rear flex is also removed. All this flex contributed to the axle trmping that was common.
    The only way that the rear could roll was for the chassis to flex, or for the suspension points to yield. I scrapped the forward facing arms and fitted new trailing links, together with a Panhard rod. This with other corrections, turned it into a motor car. Just what was Chapman thinking about?

I do not think I have the chassis number recorded anywhere, but will be pleased to check for you. Last seen in was down in the Waikato somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Sheffield View Post
    The only way that the rear could roll was for the chassis to flex, or for the suspension points to yield. I scrapped the forward facing arms and fitted new trailing links, together with a Panhard rod. This with other corrections, turned it into a motor car. Just what was Chapman thinking about?

I do not think I have the chassis number recorded anywhere, but will be pleased to check for you. Last seen in was down in the Waikato somewhere.
    I have the Bainbridge Lotus 7 (907 engine) they built after ‘acquiring’ from Steeles. It has an S3 body but on what would seem to be S4 wider chassis and also the rear suspension as described in this thread.
    On a winter rebuild of front suspension, although wasn’t done for racing, a mechanic friend (& racer/builder) suggested we look at rear set up while on stands….& he spent a fair bit of time shaking head as to design & associated risks of flex & damage....let alone handling deficiencies. His ideal option was rebuild, as described by Trevor, but for budget reasons opted to rose-joint key points to allow flex – and in particular to protect the chassis which seemed to be the biggest risk of damage should untoward occur.
    Another option/thought to the mix I guess…..