Quote Originally Posted by nalracer View Post
Hey Paul, I came across this thread by accident, I am Rex Nalders son, The old man had this car when I was a teenager I am now late 40s. The car was purchased early 80s from a prison officer in Turangi, The old man did some research, and found out that the car was built as a factory show car by Steele bros, was approx 2in wider than stock and was plain black, only one of its kind. Car also handled like it was on rails, as he had suspension strapped down (literally with wide leather straps) he had all the rear spare wheel mount filled, no holes - was raced on wide 13in hotwire mags. Engine was a stock 1600 twin cam (mild work). He took it to wigram and was second fastest car (fastest, 930 turbo porsche) punched it off start, big oil surge, destroyed engine! Jamie aselby(rotorua) rebuilt engine, dry sump, 48 weber side draft carbs(not on exaust side),headers custom built through side of car 1pc, wild cam, built to run at 13:1 comp I think he was also running double valve springs combined with competition alpha romeo pistons .Car was later sold to some clown who was gonna "drag" it in Auckland - he would have owned car approx 3-5yrs and old man is a perfectionist,so car was mint, was also sold on a custom made single axle trailer in mint cond. He then purchased a 1970 Pontiac firebird 455 b/block. Repowered with a 454 LS7 nascar engine, spent a fortune on race specing car, I think he still holds “P” circuit lap record in Tauranga. That car went to Auckland too, and has since disappeared =cheers
Hey welcome to the site, great info you've posted here. Re your dads old Firebird, I think Shane Johnson owns this now.