Thread: The Mc Begg

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I cannot add a lot to the gas fluxer info other than agree to what has been posted. I was lucky enough to pick up this commercially made unit second hand in Christchurch several years ago. It has a bypass valve at the top but so much flux remains in the system for such a long time, that yes you really need a dedicated system.
    A friend in Auckland made a 'fluxer' that is just a auxilary oil filter unit complete with oil filter cartridge that he 1/3 fills with flux, then passes the gas through the in and out fittings. The filter 'wicks up' enough fluid that the passing gas comes out 'fluxed'. The flux is highly corrosive, and the filter has to be changed often.
    When I first went to England in the early 60's 'Gas Fluxing' was the way everybody built their tubular space frame chassis ((in Italy they seemed to electric weld - badly - at that time).
    Wishbones - gas fluxed - were then Cadmium plated.
    In England last year I was surprised that gas fluxing was not allowed. Cadmium Plating of course was banned many years ago, and I tend toward Nickel nowdays.
    Attached Images Attached Images