Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: The Mc Begg

I don't know what the strange combination of camera/settings/light/film have confluenced together in these pics from Teretonga 1970, but the soft hue is really quite remarkable. There have been a few others from the same set on TRS over the last couple of years including two Begg FM2s sitting side by side, Ron Grable in the pits and a few pics from the left hander at the end of the main straight. Very nice.

Bert Hawthorne's Lexington Brabham and Gordon Edwards' Rorstan mini in the pit road ?

An earlier Begg .. pre McBegg ??

Barry Keen driving at Pukekohe 1968 GP meeting in January
    Name:  Pukekohe Jan 1968 #2, Begg 4.7 Barry Kean v2, CCI15102015_0001 (2) (781x800).jpg
Views: 803
Size:  156.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    I don't know what the strange combination of camera/settings/light/film have confluenced together in these pics from Teretonga 1970, but the soft hue is really quite remarkable. There have been a few others from the same set on TRS over the last couple of years including two Begg FM2s sitting side by side, Ron Grable in the pits and a few pics from the left hander at the end of the main straight. Very nice.

Bert Hawthorne's Lexington Brabham and Gordon Edwards' Rorstan mini in the pit road ?
    Cheers GD. Maybe the fog from Bluff created the soft hue!
    Was it Pierre Phillips from Portland rather than Ron G ?
    Last edited by Kwaussie; 03-08-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer

If your talking about the pics from the 'Ian Peak' collection IIRC these went thru conversion from slides to disc etc.... its a long time ago but I think we occasionally commented on some movies/slide shows that Ian put on at monthly ESCC meetings that some car colours needed a double take to identify, possibly a fact of life for film quality available back in the day!

Film quality 'back in the day' shouldn't really be an issue! Although some makes were preferred to others, I have a colour transparency of my parents taken at their wedding back in about 1941, where the colour is excellent.

The company dad worked for, for over 40 years as Production manager, were Commercial, Industrial & School's photographers, with several branches throughout the UK. He did extensive testing on films used and they settled on Ilford for black and white and Kodak for colour film and colour slides. When automatic machines first came in for colour processing, he would insist on a test strip then manually correct each negative by adjusting the yellow, magenta and cyan, until he got a picture quality he was happy with.

I did my own back to back testing in the mid 1960s and Ilford colour film wasn't a patch on Kodak. A few years later, and early Fuji film was also dreadful. There was a lot of cheap film around in the 1970s in the UK when there was a boom in photolabs offering a 'free' replacement film with your processing. Often the film quality wasn't too clever.

Film colours can also fade, so when scanning, there is often an option to compensate for dust, fading, graining and even backlight. I suspect that many of the pics posted on this site, and others, could be enhanced considerably - but it can extra take time and care of course. Using Photoshop to get rid of scratches or dust spots after scanning can take even longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwaussie View Post
    Cheers GD. Maybe the fog from Bluff created the soft hue!
    Was it Pierre Phillips from Portland rather than Ron G ?

No

Name:  grable teretonga 70.jpg
Views: 745
Size:  159.3 KB

Name:  grable teretonga 70 1.jpg
Views: 724
Size:  141.7 KB

Was thinking about Phillips yesterday though, Kwaussie. Came out to the first Bay Park Formula A meeting with the Lola T140, came back and drove the Begg, then came back again and drove a Titan FF. All with a fairly low profile.

Found the Begg FM2s as well. I don't know Ian Peak, but these are magic. There was a pretty good lineup of talent that season as well.

Name:  beggs teretonga 70 peak.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  166.8 KB

There have been a few others from the same set on TRS over the last couple of years including two Begg FM2s sitting side by side, Ron Grable in the pits and a few pics from the left hander at the end of the main straight. Very nice.
    Read your post as "two Begg FM2s sitting side by side, Ron Grable in the pits and a few pics from the left hander......"

Thought what's GD putting Ron Grable into one of the Begg FM2's ? Sorry mate

My fault buddy, poor punctuation. I am still in touch with Ron, who remembers his Tasman days with great affection. He was pretty much a hero of mine with his performance at Bay Park in December '68.

All good stuff!
    Is the new McBegg doing much racing in 2017?

Quote Originally Posted by Kwaussie View Post
    All good stuff!
    Is the new McBegg doing much racing in 2017?
    Can be seen in Hayes Hardware in Invercargill every day!

Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Wilkinson View Post
    Without getting into a debate on the accuracy of 'Historic Racing Cars of New Zealand' Graham Vercoe laments the McBegg having being sacrificed to make an OSCA car. From memory Viva sounds right....
    I'm getting older and memory's failing but the only Osca car I remember that was built using racing car components, (in those days) was a Datsun 180b owned by --------------? (I'll remember soon, or Rod McElrea knows).
    The car had the front and rear suspension, transaxle, and Chev engine with crossover Crower inlet manifold and Lucas mechanical injection (which I set up/tuned on the car) out of a F5000 McLaren (I think). Maybe it was from the Begg!
    I remember being very concerned about all that engine weight being supported by the nice shiny (and weak) tubular wishbones from the single seater!
    Sadly the owner was killed in a testing acident when the clevis pin fell out of the brake pedal.
    PK.

Semi-Pro Racer
    It was Kelvin Cameron, IIRC ( and like you Paul I get a bit of delay in the memory now n again ).Wish I still had all the old OSCA newsletters, its probably in them. Would not have been from a 5000 car Keith Laney had? Steves pic below it has Cameron on W/screen
    Last edited by Jac Mac; 03-27-2017 at 03:43 AM.

This is from the John Brewer Collection posted elsewhere on here. Is this the car parked next to the Camaro?

Name:  644448_524187877620275_1901266107_n.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  91.4 KB

That sounds like the car built from the ex Pederson M18.