Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The Mc Begg

Thanks Wal. It was great to see the car there, and I really hope the field of NZ owned Can-Am cars continues to grow.

From the Southland Times today - click on the link below also updates on sidebars
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-tim...eap-of-history
    Last edited by Kwaussie; 02-16-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Weekend Warrior

fluxer.

Quote Originally Posted by Wal Will View Post
    One of the most valuable pieces of equipment I have had for this project is the welding torch George gave me a month or two before he died. It is one of the things that he kept with him through all his moves, and he had it at his house at Hervey Bay. It was used in the building of most of his 18 cars.
    I was very surprised when I was told that over in the U.K. gas fluxiing is no longer permitted.
    I have used the gas flux and nicklel bronze (and Georges torch) on all the components I have had to remake.
    Georges first fluxer was made from scrap steel tube with top and botom weled and bolted on ,one tube in nearly to the bottom, out let at the top. this was the norm untill the fm5 early 70s {based on my 6 years at working at the workshop.
    the

Weekend Warrior
    the car is a thing of beauty. didn,t that car have a monocoque chassis

Quote Originally Posted by openwheeler View Post
    Georges first fluxer was made from scrap steel tube with top and botom weled and bolted on ,one tube in nearly to the bottom, out let at the top. this was the norm untill the fm5 early 70s {based on my 6 years at working at the workshop.
    the
    this fluxer sound interesting, how does it work and what was he using as a flux?
    im doing some nickle bronzing on an old chassis at the moment. and cannot see how they got the factory welds so dam good. is this fluxer possibly the trick
    Last edited by rogered; 02-18-2013 at 10:31 AM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Pretty Simple, plans on the net, I have it 'saved' somewhere, but so damn well I cant find at moment.

It was a vapour flux that came through the acetylene hose. A cast bottle as the third bottle on the set. No need to dip rod into flux powder.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
    Pretty Simple, plans on the net, I have it 'saved' somewhere, but so damn well I cant find at moment.
    A link to the plans would appreciated.

Dale.

Rick Diehl built PDL Mustang 2 with a fluxing torch made out of an old truck remote mounted oil filter. You put the acetylene in one side and a pipe near to the bottom of the filter body, which was filled with the liquid you bought, mixed it all up as a gas and it came out the other side and burnt with a lovely green flame. I have brazed with one and it's like night and day, you can see the crap being washed away as you are heating the work. Not having to re dip into flux is a big help as well.

Weekend Warrior
    of course the trick is, un coated rod ,clean metal, heat cherry red, drop and flow, its just that ease

Journeyman Racer
    Name:  IMG_3961.JPG
Views: 1562
Size:  155.7 KBName:  IMG_3963.JPG
Views: 1546
Size:  123.5 KBName:  IMG_3966.JPG
Views: 1450
Size:  157.1 KBName:  IMG_3967.JPG
Views: 1492
Size:  151.5 KBName:  IMG_3971.JPG
Views: 1476
Size:  155.8 KBName:  IMG_4442.JPG
Views: 1471
Size:  143.3 KB
    Wal Willmott stretching the legs of the McBegg during the lunchtime demonstration - Classic Speedfest - Teretonga park 2013
    Last edited by southspeed; 02-26-2013 at 02:01 AM.

Journeyman Racer
    Name:  IMG_4444.JPG
Views: 1442
Size:  130.4 KB
    Wal Willmott stretching the legs of the McBegg during the lunchtime demonstration - Classic Speedfest - Teretonga park 2013
    Last edited by southspeed; 02-26-2013 at 02:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Silcock View Post
    Rick Diehl built PDL Mustang 2 with a fluxing torch made out of an old truck remote mounted oil filter. You put the acetylene in one side and a pipe near to the bottom of the filter body, which was filled with the liquid you bought, mixed it all up as a gas and it came out the other side and burnt with a lovely green flame. I have brazed with one and it's like night and day, you can see the crap being washed away as you are heating the work. Not having to re dip into flux is a big help as well.
    Any remote oil filter will do the trick, the acetylene just bubbles through the flux on its way to the torch and you can run the weld continuously. Best to have a dedicated acetylene set with this set up though because the hoses etc become contaminated with the flux and there will always be some residual. Pretty hard on hoses too if I recall correctly.

I cannot add a lot to the gas fluxer info other than agree to what has been posted. I was lucky enough to pick up this commercially made unit second hand in Christchurch several years ago. It has a bypass valve at the top but so much flux remains in the system for such a long time, that yes you really need a dedicated system.
    A friend in Auckland made a 'fluxer' that is just a auxilary oil filter unit complete with oil filter cartridge that he 1/3 fills with flux, then passes the gas through the in and out fittings. The filter 'wicks up' enough fluid that the passing gas comes out 'fluxed'. The flux is highly corrosive, and the filter has to be changed often.
    When I first went to England in the early 60's 'Gas Fluxing' was the way everybody built their tubular space frame chassis ((in Italy they seemed to electric weld - badly - at that time).
    Wishbones - gas fluxed - were then Cadmium plated.
    In England last year I was surprised that gas fluxing was not allowed. Cadmium Plating of course was banned many years ago, and I tend toward Nickel nowdays.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Journeyman Racer
    Name:  wall cowboy.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  114.9 KB
    Happy 76th Birthday to Wally Willmott
    Wally in his youth

photo: Kirby Guyer
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 02-28-2017 at 02:29 AM.

Thats a really coo photo Jerry. Thanks for posting.

Good work Jerry

I texted Walter this morning with birthday greetings. You may be interested to learn your old pal Howden and I took Wal to lunch last Monday down in Invercargill - where the sun shone, as it had since we'd arrived four days earlier!

Journeyman Racer

Birthday boy Wally and Howden

We were heading off to lunch and dropped in on David Brown. Howden is leaning on the recreation of 'Big Ed' that he and Wal built originally in the mid 60s!

Wal,
    inregard to above photo can you please contact Grant.
    think you will be very interested.
    cheers
    Attached Images Attached Images