Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mc Begg

Journeyman Racer
    Here is a story or as they are called Thread that I have done on another Forum about Wally. I hope the Roaring Season members enjoy it:

http://forums.autosport.com/index.ph...wally+willmott
    Last edited by Jerry Entin; 02-06-2012 at 07:34 PM.

On one hand the days don't seem long enough. On the other they are a way too long.
    I received the bulkheads and flooring/undertray back from the painters this morning and have now started to bond and rivet these to the chassis.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

This photo just turned up yesterday from Barry Keen. He thinks that it was taken as the car exited the pits for the first time.
    Barry said that George was a bit worried about cooling the motor and had made the air inlet scoop quite large. As a result he managed to scoop lots of gravel and grass.

I think that I was standing very close to that position. Hope that you stay with the green tint perspex Wal

World Champion
    Barry doesn't look too keen ....how close of a colour match do you think that photo represents?..looks pretty much like Mclaren orange..a bit lighter maybe

The colour in the last photo is amazing - I think that Brian Nicoll who is in Invercargill will remember.
    I am sure that Brian told me at the time that George wanted the same hue or strength of colour as McLaren orange but in 'Begg yellow'.
    I still think Brian said it was a tint colour as in Yellow Chrome or Lemon Chrome.
    Wal must be in contact with Brian N.

Yeah that green always looked good on those cars. The one that I got with the body from Jay was unfortuneatly broken. Probably make a mold and get them slumped down here - but definatly green.

I was talking colour to Barry yesterday and he sticks with 'Yellow'.
    I have not been in touch with Brian - but I must - it is so yellow in some photo's and orange in others.
    I just don't want it close to 'McLaren Orange' (which has become a bit like 'British Racing Green' where everyone has a version).

Hi Wal,

Fantastic project, looking forward to the finished article, always have been a fan of the big sporties. Met you briefly back in the 70 - 72 AMR Days at 711 Malvern Road/Toovern Motors when I was doing "school work experience", I was cleaning sumps and sweeping floors.

This stuff is all the Mc part of the McBegg so I have taken the liberty of doing it 'as it was done in the day'.

Beautiful job. (Beautiful - is that appropriate for a hairy chested sports car?)

Well, it looks **** hot.

some nice things about you on the TNF Wal , and i can see why the quality of your work is peerless fantastic

I was told once that if you ever had to eat an elephant the best way to tackle it was just one mouthfull at a time.
    The gearshift tube had to take a bit of a detour around that No.8 exhaust. I figure that George would have approached that nice and simple.
    'Radiator/nose mount/air intake box' is back on, brakes are piped. Just keep on chewing.

Another pearl to the string. This one came from Georges daughter Jacqui over in Brisbane.
    Barry suggested that the smoke behind the car came from wheel spin as he changed gear, I'll leave you to make up your own mind on that.
    It looks like a yellowy orange again!

Is that left rear wheel tucking in a bit? The tyre patch looks quite strange.

The whole thing is not all that aesthetically pleasing at this point in its history.
    In a way it looks as if those rear springs are so soft that the car is getting torque wind up.
    Maybe Barry is right and that is wheel spin.

The Chevy swap almost done, Wal stepped back in the borrowed Invercargill workshop and picked up his camera.

There is an old saying in motor racing, "If it wasn't for the last minute nothing would get done."
    It's a forgone that the last week will be a 'sh*t fight'.

Weekend Warrior
    You probably knew it would be the day you started the project, its part of the fun.

We all thrive on the pressure.

Looks like a water leak to me.

You don't appear to have lost your "touch" for building neat stuff! What a great project with which to be involved. Building something like this up correctly is a huge challenge but you appear to be up to the task. Looks like a "runner" isn't too far in the future. I'll be watching....