Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mc Begg

Difficult to know Steve. It would be interesting to hear what Digby had to say on that. It does not look to be all that well braced in a sideways direction in the early shots, and then it is not there in 'the spin'. The photo's could have come from different events.

Unusual for Invercargill but we had a very wet and cold final Club meet of the season today and Kevin Thompson (Southspeed) kindly presented me with a lot of photo's he took at the February meeting. These two jumped out at me for a start.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Wal Will View Post
    Difficult to know Steve. It would be interesting to hear what Digby had to say on that. It does not look to be all that well braced in a sideways direction in the early shots, and then it is not there in 'the spin'. The photo's could have come from different events.
    Thanks Wal, yeah it'd certainly be interesting to know. I know aero aids can be effective when done correctly, and the mid to late '60s were a fascinating period as relative freedoms in single seater and sports car racing allowed teams a lot of experimentation. I know many didn't really understand them, but still, its fascinating to study the directions people headed in during this period when the rules allow complete freedom.

From the photos found on a rubbish dump thread. Sorry they are the best these are ever going to be.

Bob Homewood came up with the photo's and program showing the car at Pukekohe on the 12th of March 1972 and wearing the same paint job, but the number 224. In these photo's it looks like a 1 has been put on to change the number to 124 and it has sprouted a new (different from the Terry Marshall shots) wing. Anyone got a lead where these last photos were taken?
    She is starting to look a bit tired and must be nearing the end.
    That is a much more serious wing Steve, I would think that it would be making a difference now.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wal Will View Post
    Anyone got a lead where these last photos were taken?
    Looks like Timaru to me, Wal

Quote Originally Posted by David McKinney View Post
    Looks like Timaru to me, Wal
    I agree with you David, taken from the embankment at the end of the esses off start / finish straight.

So was this a race as part of a series?
    Any sequence/dates here?

This one Wally, I will see if I can dig up some results next time I am out at the circuit

NZ Sports Car Championship
    (NZRDC 1960/72; SCANZ 1973/86; 2-litre limit from 1974)
    1986 Jamie Aislaibie (Sid III)
    1985 Jamie Aislaibie (Sid III)
    1984 Lester Reader (LJR)
    1983 Lester Reader (LJR)
    1982 Bruce Turnbull (Fronzelli)
    1981 Bruce Turnbull (Fronzelli)
    1980 Bob Homewood (Rhubarb 3)
    1979 Jamie Aislaibie (Sid)
    1978 Jamie Aislaibie (Bray)
    1977 Charlie Bensemann (Rhubarb 3)
    1976 Colin Smith (Rhubarb 3)
    1975 Bob Hyslop (JRM)
    1974 Ian Bisman (Begg)
    1973 Jamie Aislaibie (Sid-Jaguar)
    1972 Gary Pederson (Gemco-Oldsmobile)
    1971 Grahame Harvey (Elfin-Chevrolet)
    1970 Jim Boyd (Lola-Chevrolet T70)
    1969 Grahame Harvey (Elfin-Chevrolet)
    1968 Andrew Buchanan (Elfin-Chevrolet)
    1967 Andrew Buchanan (Ferrari 275LM)
    1966 Jim Boyd (Lycoming Special)
    1965 Barry Porter (Lotus-Climax)
    1964 Barry Porter (Lotus-Climax) and Johnny Riley (Lola-Ford)
    1963 Barry Cottle (Lola-Climax)
    1962 Barry Cottle (Lola-Climax)
    1961 Malcolm Gill (Lycoming Special)
    1960 Malcolm Gill (Lycoming Special)

Semi-Pro Racer
    There were two championships in 1971-72-73
    You have listed the winners of the Over 3000cc series
    Under 3000cc champions in the respective years were
    1971: Gary Deakin (Heron)
    1972: Danie Lupp (Rorstan)
    1973: Dave Waldron (U2)

Wal: I think the likeliest date for the Taylor Timaru photo is 23/10/72. He was a non-starter there in both previous seasons

Thanks David, I am just trying to get the sequence of those later photo's right. We still havn't got to the point of it's final demise - but this thread has been a great help and an enjoyable ride.

Well today - 44 years, and a few months later, I managed to get Barry Keen (and the same crash helmet) back to Teretonga.
    Apart from a bit of a leak from a rocker cover gasket, and some quite old and hard rear tires, every thing went very well.
    With those rear tires you might as well leave 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear out of the box, and still be gentle when you step on it in 4th.
    I put quite a few laps on it without the body, just to check for leaks.
    Putting the body on changed the car from a go-kart to something that feels quite well mannered.

Amazing. Wal, you're a star.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Those series of Proof photo's would appear to be from around 71, as the rally photo's seem to be from the 71 Heatway.No guaranties though, Wal you have those Pics on a disk I sent you. I also asked Wal a few months back regarding the where abouts of where those garage pictures were from and he did not know, as most of the photo's seem to be from the Timaru / ChCh area it would seem plausible that they were taken in this area. But there are some from the south so its any ones guess unless the location is recognized.
    The car is looking a picture Walter, its a credit to your ability.

Thanks to Fiona Michells I received some more photo's from yesterday. This thing is one serious go-kart. Fiona was quite fascinated by Barry's helmet.

Great work Wal

Thank you for allowing us to see the progress.
    A great piece of Motor race history preserved for the future

Time to confess. It is a well know fact that 'work expands to fit the time available', with the deadline of February past I relaxed a bit and spent more time than George took building the car originally, just finishing off the 'bits and pieces'.
    Hopefully it will eventually gather its own character.

Just pure majic Wil. It's a credit to yourself and all involved.

PS how did it feel with no body, bit breezy. Bet you wish you had longjohns on.

Nah, c'mon, it is Invercargill/Teretonga.
    The feel after the body went on was that of a completely different car. I guess a lot of that is 'being exposed to the elements' but the whole thing (maybe me as well) became a whole lot less nervous with the body on. It is very light and responsive, to the point that I will probably wind a bit more castor into it, but it initially feels that it will be quite 'friendly'.

Semi-Pro Racer

The Man Himself.

Name:  walter willmott 2.jpg
Views: 1201
Size:  159.2 KB