Neville, I'm with you in wishing Hampton Downs the best of luck in their very brave bid to build a world class circuit, and during the recession too, big cojones those guys!
VIR hosts some great events, about 8 spectator race meetings this year including ALMS which takes over from the Daytona Prototype round. They have a major vintage race around September but the biggest draw spectator-wise is the AMA motorbike event. Other club type races I attend are SCCA and SVRA (vintage) but spectators aren't encouraged, probably the insurance costs are too high for the clubs. VIR survives by hosting track testing, driver schools etc and with a combo of track layouts they sell about 450 days per year. I guess HD might be aiming for that broad market also.
When I moved here circa 1999 I was shocked to realise how popular NASCAR is, kind of like rugby is in NZ (I can only speak for my part of the east coast), for example when I go to diners for my cholesterol jolt the general topic of conversation from a cross section of all ages was how Earnhart was better than Gordon etc etc and most people are polarised around drivers or the four car manufacturers. Indycar, F1 never seem to get mentioned at this level, thank goodness for Speed Channel and Versus!
Dale Mathers also mentioned the high entry fees here and I agree with that, for me to run some vintage races fees and insurance are a major part of the budget, thousands not hundreds of bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Milne View Post
Grant, I have not been to VIR, yet. Of late, work schedules and the restoration of both an old car and an even older house, have put a crimp in apre time activities. Over the years I have been lucky enough to get to Sears Point, Talladega, Daytona, Summit Point. Mid-Ohio, Watkins Glen and Indy.
Like some, I was surprised that Baltimore managed to attract AND host an Indycar race...Although it was quite successful, from an attendance point of view, it was still problematic, financially, and that's with both city and state involvement and commitment. No wonder, then, that H/D are still finding their way. It's early days yet, for H/D; it's a brave effort and they deserve to succeed