Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: BRYAN FALOON

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    I have the same photos,what do others on the rs think about putting them up.
    Rob Collier, Francis Atkins and I were mechanics for Bryan when he ran the Brabham. I'm not sure if Rob and Francis are active on this site but personally I would have no objection to seeing any of the accident pics posted here.
    I have the same collection of newspaper articles, one of the reports showed Graeme Lawrence's wrecked Lola but described as Bryan's car. The Brabham was comparatively lightly damaged compared to Graeme's car, it would be easy to assume Bryan was in the Lola. I have always thought it was a miracle that Graeme wasn't killed also.

Having been brought up in Levin in the heady days of the Levin Motor Racing Circuit, I have many recollections of things and people automotive.

I remember Bryan mostly as the driver of a Ford 105E Anglia (gray or pale blue, I think)
    I recall this road registered car becomming progressively lower and louder as weeks & months when by.
    I remember Bryan racing it successfully at the track but also it being driven along Queen Street past our family garage (Hudson & Burnham) where I often worked after school.
    I think Bryan and his family used to attend the church nextdoor to the garage.
    I will have a look through my old Levin memorabilia to see if I have any pics of the driving star from the past who was taken from us far too early.
    Ross

Quote Originally Posted by bob homewood View Post
    Attachment 5633

Happier days for the nice guy and the nice lady
    Bob, great photo, I'm thinking the guy working on the rear of the Brabham is Rob Collier, one of the unassuming but brilliant Kiwi engineers that work away in the background without much recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by Grant Ellwood View Post
    Bob, great photo, I'm thinking the guy working on the rear of the Brabham is Rob Collier, one of the unassuming but brilliant Kiwi engineers that work away in the background without much recognition.
    Grant I probably have collected a few more photos lately ,we are overdue for a catch up ,I was talking to Rob yesterday by a strange coincidence

Journeyman Racer
    I have the programme from that fateful day in '72
    Must admit I liked the idea of having the NZ Motorcycle TT races in the same programme !
    People got value for money then...

Hope the competitor list shows up ok

Name:  1972 NZIGP Cover.jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  72 NZGP.jpg
Views: 1779
Size:  152.4 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jeff; 02-07-2014 at 02:02 AM.

Wow, thanks for that Jeff : amazing to scoot through that list and see not just the calibre of the great drivers and their associated machinery from those far-off and heady times, but all those others who balanced the fields : up-and-comers, has-beens, legends and dickheads alike : they're all there. So many memories...

Journeyman Racer
    Here's a few more pages from the 72 GP Programme :

Name:  72 GP 1 litre Saloons 1.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  94.7 KB

Name:  72 GP F.F List.jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  72 GP 4 litre saloons.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  Pukekohe 72 Big Bangers.jpg
Views: 1592
Size:  75.1 KB

Journeyman Racer
    Name:  GTX Competitor list 72.jpg
Views: 1575
Size:  117.0 KB

Well another year rolls by, will pop down there this weekend as I try to do each year.
    Last edited by CUSTAXIE50; 01-09-2015 at 05:24 AM.

Well another year rolls by, will pop down there this weekend as I try to do each year.
    Hi Custaxie
    I visited Bryan's grave during my visit to NZ a couple of weeks ago, looks very tidy so thanks to whoever looks after it.
    Grant

Hi Custaxie
    I visited Bryan's grave during my visit to NZ a couple of weeks ago, looks very tidy so thanks to whoever looks after it.
    Grant
    Tidy yes,but the head stone needs some work dont you think Grant.
    Last edited by CUSTAXIE50; 03-05-2015 at 01:43 AM.

Tidy yes,but the head stone needs some work done you think Grant.
    Some of lettering on the headstone is getting hard to read but the overall condition is quite good.

Bryan died at 29 years old, when I worked with him in my teens I thought he was "old", what I would give to be 29 again.....

Some of lettering on the headstone is getting hard to read but the overall condition is quite good.
    I will ask around about getting this fixed.

Custaxie, I would like to assist but perhaps we should check with his family first. Can you email me direct - ellwoodusa@yahoo.com

Custaxie, I would like to assist but perhaps we should check with his family first. Can you email me direct - ellwoodusa@yahoo.com
    I was talking to a lady in Levin about this today,she told me the council is going through the place doing all the headstones up,i will phone them up to see what the story is on this.

Quote Originally Posted by frd1 View Post
    I never had the privilege of meeting Bryan but owned the old #57 Anglia for a fair while. Everyone always spoke very highly of him. I'll see if I can load a picture of him at Cabbage Tree, at this stage he had gone to the 1650 cc engine with a locked diff.Attachment 10102

Some years ago - might have been around 15 - I happened to be in Hamilton when a National car show was on at Mystery Creek so I went to have a look. I was wandering around in the building and came across an Anglia 105E racer. Talking to it's owner, he told me it was Bryan Faloons old car and he was restoring it to exactly how it was when Faloon raced it.
    The guy was very friendly but before we really got into a conversation some acquaintance of his walked up and commenced talking over the top of me ( one of those people who didn't get taught manners when he was young ) so I wandered off.
    When I saw it the car was well advanced in it's restoration so it seems strange that it wasn't completed and become known.

Anyone know anything about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Noo Noo View Post
    Some years ago - might have been around 15 - I happened to be in Hamilton when a National car show was on at Mystery Creek so I went to have a look. I was wandering around in the building and came across an Anglia 105E racer. Talking to it's owner, he told me it was Bryan Faloons old car and he was restoring it to exactly how it was when Faloon raced it.
    The guy was very friendly but before we really got into a conversation some acquaintance of his walked up and commenced talking over the top of me ( one of those people who didn't get taught manners when he was young ) so I wandered off.
    When I saw it the car was well advanced in it's restoration so it seems strange that it wasn't completed and become known.

Anyone know anything about it?
    I'm guessing Murray Whitehead in Palmerston North still has Bryan's car, he made a great job of restoring it back to its period specs.

I'm guessing Murray Whitehead in Palmerston North still has Bryan's car, he made a great job of restoring it back to its period specs.
    Yes Murray still has the car. It has been used at a few events, mainly hillclimbs and goes well. Murray does not live in Palmerston any longer. At this time he is not in the best of health, but as always optimistic, and looking forward to a great recovery.

Name:  bryan faloon 001 (2).jpg
Views: 863
Size:  74.0 KB

How's this for coincidence?
    Last week I asked if anyone knew about Bryan Falloon's old Anglia that I saw when it was well advanced in it's restoration. Today, I was hunting for something in my shed, picked up an old POR15 catalogue and saw this photo on the front cover. The car itself.

David Hunter