Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nissan Mobil 500 Races - VHS videos and official results/entry lists

Nissan Mobil 500 Races - VHS videos and official results/entry lists

Gday all - have heard great things about this form - Aaron Noonan from Channel 7 V8 Supercars in Oz ...

Have interest in all sorts of bits and pieces being posted about on here ... whether it be old results, old chassis, all sorts of stuff.

First question Im asking ... wanted to get people's brains whirring on official results from the Wellington and Pukekohe 500s of 1985 through to the early 90s ..

Any clues on where to turn some of them up?

Hello Aaron and welcome!

the only results I have seen on the interweb (apart from wiki which is not very good) are here:

http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...C%20Races.html

But the Pukekohe races only go up to 1989. Pukekohe winners were, of the top of my head:
    1991. GMS/Richards/Skaife Nissan GTR
    1992. Schnitzer/Pirro/Winkelhock BMW M3

I cannot remember the 1990 winner. These races have always been of much interest to me, as that is what sparked my passion for circuit racing, visiting many of these races in my teenage years/early 20's.

If anyone has any VHS footage of these races I am very interested in buying or trading for other footage, I have some of these races, but incomplete set. I can also copy from VHS to DVD if required.

Conrad Timms

Last edited by conrod; 04-18-2012 at 08:46 PM.

Gidday Aaron, its great to see you on here. There should be plenty of people here who can help with your request. I just wrote an article on the 1985 street race for Aussie Muscle Car a few months back, so have the results from that year, plus I should also have '86. Will unearth them for you.

World Champion
    Very interesting race Steve. I am curious to know whether anyone actually has a copy of the full race from 1985. There are a few highlight packages of the 86 race, but not the 85 one. Although highlights would be fine, I would actually like to know if there is a full copy of the race.

Cheers Steve - sounds great!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Conrad
    Can help with some VHS have sent you a message with contact details.
    Graeme Banks

Sorry for the delay on this Noonz, I've always been easily distracted! Not sure if you've seen it yet but Frank de Jong has posted the Wellington Street Race results on his excellent Touring Car website. Looks like the 1988 results are missing, I will try and find those somewhere, but here are the results for 1985 - 1993: http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...C%20Races.html

In the list above, the second 1987 race is missing, this being the NZ round of the WTCC, the results of which are here: http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jon...ellington.html

Semi-Pro Racer
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Wellington_500, they seem to have a few results .

Somewhere in my collection of older motorsport stuff it the full TV broadcast of these meeting minus all the add breaks. They were copied off the TV by our boys while we were away being part of it. Until then we did not know that the younger one had a concentration span any longer than about 5 seco0nds but he sat there and paused the video every time an advert came on for the duration of the program

Will do some digging out over the next few days.

HI Carlo, if you need any copying to DVD I am happy to do this for free, I have a machine that will do this. I am copying a few from VHS to DVD at the moment.

regards Conrad

I too would be incredibly keen to see and purchase a copy of any of the Nissan Mobil races if you still have them - I too had them on VHS for many years but my genius brother taped over them much to my disgust. Cheers, Jarrod

Conrod: I have a box full of all sorts of VHS, can you pm me on what machine you have, were to get one and how to do it etc.
    cheers grimmie64@xtra.co.nz

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    Conrod: I have a box full of all sorts of VHS, can you pm me on what machine you have, were to get one and how to do it etc.
    cheers grimmie64@xtra.co.nz
    email sent

Semi-Pro Racer

Dec 3 1989

Name:  Nissan Mobil 1989 Dec 3a.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  154.1 KB

Great photo of my all time favourite touring car. Can someone please advise if the above to M3s were the same spec as the cars that ran in the DTM series? Ive tried finding the specs of each but have been unsuccessful in doing so.

From the video footage I have seen, the Schnitzer cars at the NM500 were Group A from 1987-1989, and then from 1990-1992 they were DTM spec. cars. A friend of mine has the 1990 NM500 winning car (in NZ) and it is definitely DTM spec. I have recently organised the purchase for another friend of the 1992 Schnitzer car, it is in NZ now and also full DTM spec. Not sure how many people realise there was a difference between Gp.A and DTM, (and quite big differences too!)

Conrad

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Great photo of my all time favourite touring car. Can someone please advise if the above to M3s were the same spec as the cars that ran in the DTM series? Ive tried finding the specs of each but have been unsuccessful in doing so.

Cheers for that conrod, that clears it up. Would the DTM spec M3s be appearing at any meetings? would love to see these in action at some stage

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    Cheers for that conrod, that clears it up. Would the DTM spec M3s be appearing at any meetings? would love to see these in action at some stage
    yes there were several at the Hampton Downs Festival of Motor Racing in January. Here is a couple.

This one is the 1990 NM500 winner (then became Benson & Hedges, before finally Diet Coke), and the second is mine, a Bigazzi 1992 DTM car. Most of these will be at the Lady Wigram meeting at Ruapuna in November.

Conrad
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by seaqnmac27 View Post
    Very interesting race Steve. I am curious to know whether anyone actually has a copy of the full race from 1985. There are a few highlight packages of the 86 race, but not the 85 one. Although highlights would be fine, I would actually like to know if there is a full copy of the race.
    think I have a full copy will have to start digging in big boxs of tapes

Quote Originally Posted by conrod View Post
    yes there were several at the Hampton Downs Festival of Motor Racing in January. Here is a couple.

This one is the 1990 NM500 winner (then became Benson & Hedges, before finally Diet Coke), and the second is mine, a Bigazzi 1992 DTM car. Most of these will be at the Lady Wigram meeting at Ruapuna in November.

Conrad
    Many thanks Conrad, I will make sure im at that meeting. Good to see a nice original example. Did Bigazzi run Steve Soper? if so is your car the ex Soper car? what is the history on your car and how did it end up in your hands if you dont mind me asking?