Thread: REPLICAS-REBUILD--REBUILT--BUILT--RULES.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart View Post
    That is the whole issue really, there are no RULES.
    What he have is a world wide debate with different opinions, like A-holes, everyone has one.
    PERSONALLY, they should be as close as possible to the original. If there are no components PROVEN to be from the original, they are tributes, copies or fakes.
    If they have 3 of the major components from engine, chassis, body, driveline or wheels (ie 3 out of 5) they are a rebuild/restore. This does NOT mean copies of the original bits, it is the genuine items.
    Any less than 3/5 then they can not be considered as anything better than tributes as someone else is able to make another with at least the same number.
    This is not my original thinking, it is just what Jenks said, and I just happen to agree.
    Seems logical and a sensible approach to stop this sort of senseless trackside bickering that is going on over the likes of the C2. There was only 1 "original", term loosely used here, the "Replica" has been rebuilt by the original people that ran it and again it is the only one in existence. Should it not be capped there ? It exists and should not be copied as there was never a 2nd in the first place.

Should in the case of the C2 it not simply be classified a REPLICA and be done with it. It is well known the exact car that raced is dead and gone, so no matter how many parts you say are from the original it is still going to be a replica and that will never change.

Replicas are running here in Aus with the Gp A and Gp C originals and without seeing the word Replica on the windscreen , you would never know and the public would not care. The Bob Jane A9X Torana is a classic example. A sensible approach is used however in that there are not multiple replicas of the 1 car. If the original is dead there is only 1 replica allowed from what I understand. Seems a sensible approach especially for events like at HD where sheep stations are not at stake like many drivers seem to think are now in an actual championship situation.

You could not compare the C2 rebuild with say the Cossack Victor which has resurfaced as it is obvious from pictures it is the original Victor and still exists so its rebuild can be fully documented.
    People want to see cars like the C2 and Morrari which can only be recreated and called a replica on the track with other cars that the original competed with.
    Seems simple but obviously not. The trackside bickering will just kill it as has always happened with the great classes in NZ Motorsport.
    Last edited by TonyG; 01-13-2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Clarified what I meant by bickering lol