Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: REPLICAS-REBUILD--REBUILT--BUILT--RULES.

World Champion
    If anyone has a spare half an hour, this is worthy of a perusal.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/fer...hy-bother.html
    The last time I saw the Custaxie was under spotlights at the Car Show in the Addington showgrounds. She was parked down the back . near the Ed Roth T- shirt stand. It must have been late 1967, I can remember seeing the Patterson bigfoot footage on TV when we got home and thinking it was somehow apt. We kids were mesmerised and I can't remember a single other car that was there that night - says it all. Purely from a spectators perspective, I would love to see Robbies 002 on track again with the fastback Anglias ,the new Morrari recreation, Ron Sylvesters Chevy etc etc . Just make it happen somehow please.

Semi-Pro Racer
    You have nailed it, Howard, short and sweet.I was going to say the same thing, but you have shortened down my version, with out loss of meaning!!! 10 points.
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Wood View Post
    This has been thrashed over already ad infinitum on a thread called The Race Replica Debate., or at least until about page 5 when the thread was hijacked by some clown. There is ample provision for the creation of replicas and recreations, tribute cars for the most part, frankly are a crock of s@#t.

Nobody who knows what they are doing is seriously suggesting ALL the original components MUST be used and modern safety standards need to be included if the car is to be used in competition. However, absolutely, if verifiable knowledge of say the rivet pattern used is available why would you not replicate that.

It seems to me that the debate about how accurately a car should be rebuilt or replicated is driven by those too lazy or unskilled to do the job properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    Gary Orton and associates and it was never built as a 100% replica
    who.

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    who.
    I thought John Millar (a real "good guy" and the man behind the Dauphine-Corvette 1 and 2), from Motueka built C2 with "help" from Robbie
    C1 was masterminded by Tony Kriletich and others I'm sure, apparently Tony "couldn't be found" when C2 was created....

Does anyone get the feeling that Mr CUSTAXIE50 either helped build/owned/still has the remains of C1 ???????

By the way, I am one of only three people that has raced C2, and I can tell you it was pretty "period" to drive, still had e type jag brakes, cr65 tyres, pressed steel rims, bus steering wheel etc and at Teretonga was doing the same lap times as in '67 or whenever it was there..... C1 that is

Quote Originally Posted by dekon View Post
    I thought John Millar (a real "good guy" and the man behind the Dauphine-Corvette 1 and 2), from Motueka built C2 with "help" from Robbie
    C1 was masterminded by Tony Kriletich and others I'm sure, apparently Tony "couldn't be found" when C2 was created....

Does anyone get the feeling that Mr CUSTAXIE50 either helped build/owned/still has the remains of C1 ???????

By the way, I am one of only three people that has raced C2, and I can tell you it was pretty "period" to drive, still had e type jag brakes, cr65 tyres, pressed steel rims, bus steering wheel etc and at Teretonga was doing the same lap times as in '67 or whenever it was there..... C1 that is
    Its all been said before on here about the time i had with the custaxie that was built in 1966, you may like to have a look back at what has been put up here on this car.Now you say you are one of only three who have raced the new car,you use this word-period-yes that word allso has been used on here on how this new car was built,no need to go down that road again i think.We all know how it was built and we all know how the old car was built dont we.I have said before that i have a number of parts from the old car,and have said what they are on here also.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by shellsport View Post
    Autorama " 67 "
    Autorama 67 - that was it , thanks shellsport. I think Thunder427 had something to do with running it
    Last edited by bry3500; 06-25-2013 at 09:04 AM.

Miles was the then president of Kustoms car Club who ran the show, I had just joined the club .Promoted a second show in 68 if I recall and bought over several top Aussie cars .

Semi-Pro Racer
    ....What was the Question ???.......................Autorama 1967, Autorama 1968, Autorama 1969/70,three Cars imported for show from Australia, I'll find time to tell this story one day, how to run a Autoshow when the Whahine has sank, there is a three month shipping strike, but the show went on ,great times ,a great challenge, wouldn't change a Day !!!......................Myles/thunder427

NB; Hello!!, to Duncan, that name rang an immediate Bell!!!,they where Fun times !!
    Last edited by thunder427; 06-25-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    Gary Orton and associates and it was never built as a 100% replica
    Did you read the Nelson Mail Story on the Custaxie at all.

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    Did you read the Nelson Mail Story on the Custaxie at all.
    Francevic revives the Custaxie 17/07/2009

BEAST IS BACK: Robbie Francevic's rebuilt Custaxie.Colour me ... gone. For motorsport fans of a certain era, that phrase still brings back fond memories of a race car so dominant, the rules were changed so it could not be raced.

For drivers who took part in the 1967 Allcomers series, it probably brings back nightmares.

The phrase was written on the back of Robbie Francevic's Custaxie, a hybrid of a 1955 Ford Customline body and a Ford Galaxie 427ci V8 engine (which spent its previous life in a race boat), which he built in a garage with the help of his friend Tony Kriletich in Auckland.

After a shaky start, Francevic and his car went on to dominate the series, winning 23 races in a row. However the class was deemed too dangerous, and that season was the only one the Custaxie competed in.

Francevic went on to forge a successful career, including winning the Australian Touring Car Championship in 1986, but the car was put out to pasture, with many but not all of its parts sold or left to deteriorate.

While it was no longer tearing up the track, the car remained in the minds of many a race fan.

"People used to ring me up and say, `You tell us how to build it and we'll build a replica'," Francevic said from his home in Auckland.

"And I'd say to those people, 'No I'm sorry, you're welcome to build a replica but it will not be that original car because I'm the only one who knows how to build it."

However, egged on by Peter Talley and fellow Motueka resident John Miller, who had recently completed a rebuild on a Renault Dauphine, Francevic decided to rebuild the Custaxie.

"Because he [Miller] built the Dauphine and he was raving about that, I said, My Custaxie can beat that'.

"So you get a little bit of competitiveness coming in and away we went," he chuckled.

Using what original parts remained (part of the chassis and steering, and rear axel), Francevic and Miller spent over a year building it in Motueka.

Now back in its original form it is temporarily being housed at the World of WearableArt and Classic Cars Museum.

Temporarily, because next month Francevic intends to test it at Ruapuna, and race it at Hampton Downs when it hosts the Bruce McLaren Memorial event.

Now 67, Francevic said he had no hesitation getting back behind the wheel. "None what so ever, no problem, I'm looking forward to it.

"I probably won't enjoy it as much as modern race cars which have beautiful brakes and gorgeous responsive engines and power steering, but it's going to take me back a long way."

WOW general manager Peter Van Humm said he was delighted to look after the Custaxie.

He had fond memories of it from when he was a timekeeper at Wigram as a youngster, saying it was so powerful it would set the grass on which it was standing on fire when it was started.

"It was so successful at the time, it became folklore."

Francevic's friend Garry Orton said the Custaxie, barring some safety measures, was almost exactly the same as the original. "Back in the day they would have had two toothpicks and a piece of straw," for safety equipment

Doesn't actually say who the builders were but I guess at least there is a Replica- Tribute car about.