Thread: New Zealand OSCA Database - Histories And Whereabouts

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Weekend Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Munty View Post
    Rod Hayman has the ex John Fisher/Don Elvy/John Heslin car. Don't know who had it before John. Anyone?
    Evan, I'm surprised you don't remember the early history of that car, (but then again as you were so young at the time you probably weren't interested)! (So you're excused).
    The ex Fisher Capri you mention was originally built for Frank Ryan (Tianou) by Brian Taylor in Dunedin, but not quite finished, Wayne Murdock (TImaru) almost finished it, Frank raced it a few times with 302 Windsor power then asked me to sort it out in return for racing it for a while with a cobbled up 326 Ford that I assembled from a trailor load of old bits, (there was a promise of some money and Zip Wholsalers sponsorship but these were never forthcomming), Clyde Collins bought it off Frank a few years later and Avon Hyde drove for him with 350 Chev power, I think Fisher bought it from Clyde, (unless it had been sold to someone else between times) as a roller and I changed it around quite a bit including converting to left hand drive and built up a good Hilbourn injected 350 Chev, lightened it significantly, fitted a Salsbury diff with 3 link and adjustable anti-squat and adjustable rear roll-center heights among other secrets, just when we, as a team were comming together, (Mark Smith, Grant Hawkins an myself), Fishers wife decided she had more important things to spend his money on than car racing so that was the end of that so Graeme Cameron (Dunedin) bought it and started to put a one piece front end on it but couldn't finish for various reasons so sold to Don Elvy as a basket case. Don put it together as a jigsaw puzzle and altho I did test drive it for Don I can't remember the intimate details although I did note it was back to right hand drive. Don raced it for a while but I think he struggled with it and I've often wondered what happened to it. In discussing it with Don it was clear that he did not get the good engine bits that we got for Fisher.
    PK.
    Last edited by Paul Kirk; 06-30-2012 at 10:06 PM.