Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: New Zealand OSCA Database - Histories And Whereabouts

Weekend Warrior
    I hope you dont mind me jumping in on this thread but here are a couple of photo's of the Vigurs Celeste.Name:  sv_celeste.jpg
Views: 2133
Size:  40.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Weekend Warrior
    and of the man himself.......Name:  sv_camaro.jpg
Views: 2107
Size:  156.8 KB

Weekend Warrior
    Also Steve attempted to power the Celeste with a 4.1 litre turbo charged Buick V6....it was a failure.

Quote Originally Posted by gokiwi View Post
    I hope you dont mind me jumping in on this thread but here are a couple of photo's of the Vigurs Celeste.Name:  sv_celeste.jpg
    With pics like that, you can jump on whenever you like man, I remember the celeste well.i think it came to a fiery end on a trailer in a highway crash

With pics like that, you can jump on whenever you like man, I remember the celeste well.i think it came to a fiery end on a trailer in a highway crash

Weekend Warrior
    Yes I think that was when Steve destroyed the Bronco on the Kilmog coming back from Teratonga......replaced the Celeste with Avon Hyde's Commodore I think.

Awesome pics of the Celeste there Scott. Thanks heaps for sharing. I always wondered what happened to this car. I just assumed it had been quietly retired and was sitting in someones shed. Didn't realise it was destroyed on a road accident. Thats a real shame. Didn't Steve also own the ex-Clyde Collins Cortina at one stage? Did bits from the Cortina go into the Celeste?

Yes I think that was when Steve destroyed the Bronco on the Kilmog coming back from Teratonga......replaced the Celeste with Avon Hyde's Commodore I think.
    may be wrong, but had a feeling commodore was before celeste

Name:  vyke.jpg
Views: 1753
Size:  111.8 KB

photo of Barry Vyke Hillman Imp before it was scraped.

Rogered, yep wrong. Jigger got Commodore off Vigurs. Celeste was after Cortina I think.
    Last edited by Rod Grimwood; 06-04-2014 at 02:57 AM.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by tmann View Post
    Name:  vyke.jpg
Views: 1753
Size:  111.8 KB

photo of Barry Vyke Hillman Imp before it was scraped.
    Sunbeam Stilletto. This is after Bryan Bate's ownership, after which iirc it was sold to Sandy Powell, who drove in rallycross. Where it had a very nasty crash, the pics of which are on the Mini and Imps thread.

Name:  Tony Scan.jpg
Views: 1769
Size:  97.3 KB

Rodger Freeth starlet being rebuilt at Possum Bourne's home garage. Photo by Doug Crook.

Name:  starlet3.jpg
Views: 1687
Size:  114.2 KB

and another taken sometime later. more photo's to come

Wow, these are awesome! And they're dated. I assume this must have been when the car had its big rebuild with the new bodywork being fitted?

I remember interviewing Trevor Crowe about this car once. He built it and only raced it one season (1986/87 I think???), but it was still very fast, straight out of the box, and immediately faster than his first Starlet. But he said a lot of people don't consider it to be his car, because of its long association with Rodger Freeth. But I always considered it, in its original guise, to be his car, and in its reformed guise, to be Rodgers.

Now that I know how to post photo's I'll send more that show this car and it's rebuild.
    Have a photo dated 1988 as raced by Freeth, CRC colours, smaller guards and alloy cage.
    Photo above is 1990 with new steel cage and getting the larger guards as car is now.
    New cage and fabrication done by Doug Crook who also took these photo's

Name:  starlet5.jpg
Views: 1856
Size:  96.4 KB

sorry, should have posted photo's in order. this photo dated 1988, shows alloy cage and small guards.
    Rebuild photo's above ,1990, show steel cage, body ready for larger guards.

Name:  starlet inside.jpg
Views: 1944
Size:  168.2 KB

It's not often photo's are taken of the inside of a car, this was high tech in it's day, 1988

Brilliant Starlet photos.

Those bars that look like rulers just under the main part of the dash were Rodger's 'telemetry'. They were connected by cable to the suspension on each wheel and he had a video camera mounted to film them. From that he made adjustments.

As Tmann says, it was hi-tech for its day. Rodger was a very innovative guy.

Correct shano, you can see the black cable attached to the left hand roll bar going to one of the rulers.