Thread: BURT MUNRO

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    If you go on to the net you will see the bike that is in the usa ,that they are saying he used on all his runs on the salt, so what has the bike in nz got to do with what Burt did at Bonneville.

Semi-Pro Racer
    As far as I know the original Indian and a Velocette are still in the Hayes Hardware store on the main street of Invercargill.
    http://www.ehayes.co.nz/burt-munro/
    It's been a couple of years since I last saw them, but they've been there a long time, and it would have been big news if they'd been sold, especially the Indian.

Several replicas were made for the movie, I think by Phil Mauger in Chch (who races the ex Denny Hulme McLaren M23). I'm not sure who owns these bikes but they appear at shows from time to time, and probably travel the world. I had heard that an original streamlined shell that Burt left in the US has been rediscovered since the movie came out.

Custaxie50, the net is a pretty big place. Could you provide a link to the website that you were reading.

Cheers,
    Malcolm

Edit: Just found this:
    http://www.motorcycleclassics.com/bl...ble-beach.aspx

Talk about over restored.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-28-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CUSTAXIE50 View Post
    If you go on to the net you will see the bike that is in the usa ,that they are saying he used on all his runs on the salt, so what has the bike in nz got to do with what Burt did at Bonneville.
    true, but not the engine. He initially travelled back with the bike but then left it there and brought the motor back. When they outlawed his bike Roger Donaldson took him back to do a documentary so he built up a motor to use and sell with the bike. The one over there has been 'restored' to immaculate condition, The engine in the bike here still has the number 50R627 the original number likely restamped as it's unlikely those cases lasted all those years.