Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Ian "Red" Dawson

Just to get back to the subject.
    I always admired Red Dawson as someone I met on odd occasions during those great days of NZ motor racing.
    The times at Wigram spent at The Esplanade in New Brighton and the various hotels in the southern cities were very enjoyable.
    One day in particular was after Wigram and he was convinced that I should buy his Brabham and I was sure that I was not interested.
    He went outside and walked around my car and made an offer as a trade on the BT7/4 and said he would give me the balance interest free for what ever time I wanted. Rod Coppins was there and also Johnny Riley - I can remember them rolling their eyes so I said we will talk about it next week in Invercargill.
    Upshot was I sold my car the next day for what Red had mentioned as a trade.
    I was very happy and spent a few bucks buying drinks for the Dawson, Coppins & Riley families the next weekend.
    A great and tough race driver but a very good family man.

the man drove a Brabham, what a sad day today, Jack, Sir Jack gone at 88, a very good innings, great driver and car maker too !!. Our heroes are diminishing, as are we ..

Spot on Steve. I was the guy who was asked to move the engine back. I hated doing it to this original car. Ross Cameron owned it at the time and we cut the firewall and essentially moved it back and inserted a 12 inch spacer to join everything back up. Sorted out brake and clutch as cheaply as we could in the tiny space left Built up front and rear engine mounts and it is all go. Arguably 1 sec faster at Levels.