Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ian "Red" Dawson

Yes we were all stunned that night. I can still his wife or girl been stopped getting onto the track

Semi-Pro Racer
    The Dawson Z28 is now owned by Kelvin Towns in Dunedin,the last two who raced it were Ross Cameron and Lawrence Bruce.

Red ran a Ford 39 coupe when he first started circuit racing,this was in turn replaced by the Willys ,he had the Willys and the Lola sports car at the same time ,I towed the Lola on its trailer to a couple of meetings for him at that time ,I have a photo somewhere still I think ,I also did some welding on the Willys chassis,brackets etc around the same time for him

Ex-Barry/Bryan Mustang.

Name:  05 Early to Late Levin 1967 1968 g006.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  103.1 KB

Name:  07 1967 1968 Pukekohe g005.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  110.2 KB

Name:  07 1967 1968 Pukekohe g019.jpg
Views: 2014
Size:  124.3 KB

I think he ran the '67 Mustang for three seasons before building the Camaro.

Name:  Coppins 2.jpg
Views: 2307
Size:  104.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    Just read an article you wrote on the Castrol GTX series Steve, and in it you wrote that Neville Chrichton drove the ex Red Dawson Gen 2 Camaro. Was this the same Gold Kensington Carpets car rebuilt or another that I don't remember ?
    Cheers
    Tony
    Did I say that? Sorry, I can't recall the article too well. It wouldn't have been the BNSW Camaro, that was sold to Don Peddie/Allan Dick. The GTX series was to different rules to BNSW. Maybe Dawson had a production Camaro too.

On the farm loaded up for a night at Epsom.

On the way to the ship for the Aussie trip, December 1958.

NZ Stockcar Team for Australia 1958. Red at right front.

Lots more to come.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Thank you all. I know there are lots of pics of the mustangs in the other threads. I was thinking more of the other cars he raced when I asked just like these here now. Great stuff.
    I always remembered him in a good way because when I asked for an autograph as a kid it was no trouble at all. He chatted to me for quite a while about car racing and that always stuck with me.

Cheers
    Tony

Semi-Pro Racer
    Not sure who to give credit for the photos to but Steve posted these on the HAMB site back in 2009

and
    Last edited by TonyG; 01-27-2012 at 08:43 PM.

Semi-Pro Racer
    The article on the GTX Camaros
    http://www.classiccar.co.nz/articles...gtx-series-183

and Inky Tullochs History page that also mentions a Red Dawson Camaro
    http://www.tullochmotorsport.co.nz/history.html

Semi-Pro Racer
    That $1000.00 per meeting to run the GTX Camaro would be drop in the bucket compared to todays NZV8 running costs!

IIRC Inkys drives in the ex Dawson car were during Allan Dick/Don Peddie ownership when regular Kevin Haig was overseas etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
    I clearly remember the Camaro in Gold but can't remember it in Marlboro colours yet I know it did run with Marlboro sponsorship at one stage. Does anyone have a photo of it in Marlboro colours. If so I would love to se it.
    Only in black and white.

Name:  Dawson 1.JPG
Views: 2106
Size:  100.6 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Thank you so much Milan. I found a drawing on google but this is the first actual pic in this colour scheme.
    I have been beating myself up over this as I lived straight across the road from the track and rarely if ever missed a meeting. The only reason I can think why I would have missed it would have been when I came over here on holiday to see my brother and I missed the whole xmas series at home.
    I sure don't miss that smelly toilet block (out of pic to the right) at the bottom of the hill in the background of this pic lol

Thats a beautiful photo Milan. Tony, Dawson raced the Camaro for 4 seasons I think; 1971/72 - 1974/75. It was only the 1974/75 season it was painted the red/white Marlboro colours, which in my opinion, didn't look nearly as nice as the gold of Kensington Carpets. Of course, the Marlboro sponsorship carried across to the first year of the Monza.

Name:  ph15.jpg
Views: 2632
Size:  129.0 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Thanks Steve and that also confirms why I missed it. I was in Sydney then.

Dawson in the ex-Hyslop, ex-Palmer Cooper-Climax

Name:  Dawson Cooper.JPG
Views: 1923
Size:  40.8 KB

and in the ex-Matich Brabham-Climax

Name:  Dawson Brabham.JPG
Views: 1943
Size:  67.7 KB

Here are a couple of photos taken at Pukekohe in period. I was always a great Red Dawson fan and he was always one to put on a show for the audience.

Last edited by kiwi285; 01-30-2012 at 05:05 AM.

Yep, confirms my old feelings that THAT Mustang was one very smart looking car. And looking her best under the trees (Pukekohe around 1969?). Lovely old photos of Red in the Brabham and the Cooper Milan. Do you know the locations? Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Murray Maunder; 01-30-2012 at 01:11 AM.