Thread: Doane Spencers Sunbeam Tiger

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    World Champion
    Markson, this post has nothing whatever to do with the Doane Spencer Tiger, but it concerns Sunbeam Alpines in general, and as you are obviously a Sunbeam enthusiast, having posted pictures of a project you are/were engaged in, I thought I would just give you a warning. I'm not sure whether you go back over early threads to check on their content, but there is one which I implore you NOT to read.......Yards and Yarns, page4, post 69. I have never had the pleasure of meeting another Sunbeam ALPINE enthusiast, and I guess it wont happen, should you be tempted to read 69. I stress that my experience was just that...MY.
    Have often wondered where that car went to, but my name will be on the ownership papers, as well as Zac Urlich, the original owner, should any one have restored it.

I think Allan Currie would not like you Amco.he is now in a home in Havelock north ,he came out here to NZ with Ron Flockhart also claimed to date Jim Clarks sister back in Dunns?

Name:  img001.jpg
Views: 5041
Size:  36.9 KBHi Markson,nice pictures of the Tiger/Alpine club cars.The MK2 tiger was a much improved model with it,s 289 engine but a rare bird today. Shelby American also built a Tiger MK1 race car and it was driven by Lew Spencer,no relation to Doane I think.
    Last edited by mid-year; 05-13-2012 at 05:10 AM.

World Champion
    Jum, I thought Alan Currie had died. Clearly not. A good guy.....sat my MSNZ oral exam at his place in Hamilton. And yes he did have a nice Tiger, and wasn't there some thing extra special about it.....an owner or the engine??? Wonder where it is. Last time I saw it was at the Bruce McLaren festival.

World Champion
    Also just wondered Steve whether this thread could be expanded to all Alpines/Tigers in general, as apart from your first post, most of the rest have been other than the Doane Spenser car. Just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Also just wondered Steve whether this thread could be expanded to all Alpines/Tigers in general, as apart from your first post, most of the rest have been other than the Doane Spenser car. Just a suggestion.
    Probably best to start a new Tiger/Alpine dedicated thread Gerald, looks like there is plenty of interest in this.

Quote Originally Posted by mid-year View Post
    Name:  img001.jpg
Views: 5041
Size:  36.9 KBHi Markson,nice pictures of the Tiger/Alpine club cars.The MK2 tiger was a much improved model with it,s 289 engine but a rare bird today. Shelby American also built a Tiger MK1 race car and driven by Lew spencer,no relation to Doane I think.
    Hey Pete, thanks for posting that. Its the first colour picture I've seen of the Shelby Tiger. Rootes Group approached Shelby to build this car in 1964, but the results weren't what they had hoped for, so approached Doane Spencer.