Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photos: The Ian Peak Collection - Part 1

Photos: The Ian Peak Collection - Part 1

Name:  Clark pits 2.jpg
Views: 1948
Size:  159.6 KB

I get really excited whenever I receive a new collection of photos for The Roaring Season. But this latest batch really has me buzzing, because its something a little different. We have some fantastic photo collections on the site, that people have very kindly taken the time to share, and include various amateur and professional images from Australia, the UK, and New Zealand. However, much of the content of the NZ collections has been from the North Island, with very little coming from the South.

New Zealand is a small country, with a population of just over 4 million, but there is a good chunk of water separating the North Island and the South Island, and as a result, the two islands have often gone off and done their own thing when it comes to motor racing. Sure, the Tasman Series travelled nationwide, but many South Island racers didn't travel north (nor North Islanders south), because crossing that stretch of water is a pretty expensive little operation. And therefore, many of the cars that appear in this collection haven't been seen in other collections shown elsewhere on this site. And, likewise, many of the scenes in this collections are completely unique.

I have to thank Mark Quertier for arranging this collection. Ian Peak was a motorsport enthusiast from Gore, and when he passed away, his collection was purchased from his estate by Mark's father. The majority of the pics are from Teretonga, which, as you'll see over the coming weeks, had some pretty unique features. But Ian also travelled on occasion to Wigram and Timaru, and a small number of snaps are from these two venues.

There are just under 200 photos in total, so I'll split them into several parts, so each photo can be enjoyed for what it is.

So, here it is, Part 1 of the Ian Peak Collection.

OK, kicking off here is the Teretonga round of the 1968 Tasman Series. This race was dominated by Jim Clark, who held a comfortable lead from Chris Amon and Frank Gardner, before spinning through the infield after hitting a bump, with 7 laps remaining. Likewise, both Amon and Gardner would also spin their positions away, much to the surprise of a grateful Bruce McLaren, who'd been lying fourth for much of the race in his BRM.

Clark recovered to place second, from Gardner.

Here McLaren enjoys his moment on the back of the victory truck.

Name:  1968 winner Bruce McLaren.jpg
Views: 1913
Size:  134.6 KB

Clarks Lotus 49 Cosworth donk

Name:  Clark Lotus 49T.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  167.0 KB

Graham McRae's Brabham dropped out early after the crankshaft broke

Name:  Graham McRae.jpg
Views: 1853
Size:  156.2 KB

Denny Hulme at speed and on his way to sixth place in the Brabham

Name:  Denny Hulme Brabham BT23 Cosworth.jpg
Views: 1888
Size:  91.3 KB

The on-site Firestone tyre bunker

Name:  Firestones.jpg
Views: 1726
Size:  142.7 KB

Someone here with more knowledge than me will be able to correct me on this one. I don't think this is the Tasman Series Teretonga race. The photo caption says this is Allan McCully. If so, he is driving the Brabham Tony Shaw had campaigned in the National Formula Championship. This photo would then be one of the races from the 3 Round Teretonga Championship? Can anyone help with this?

Name:  Allan McCully Brabham BT18.jpg
Views: 1962
Size:  70.4 KB

The business end of Amon's Ferrari

Name:  Ferrari 246T Amon.jpg
Views: 1745
Size:  166.2 KB

Superb pit shot has Amon's Ferrari sat quietly among the grass and straw.

Name:  Amon Ferrari 246T.jpg
Views: 1766
Size:  165.7 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    What lovely photos - particularly the Firestone tyre bay - can you imagine that now.......?

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Someone here with more knowledge than me will be able to correct me on this one. I don't think this is the Tasman Series Teretonga race. The photo caption says this is Allan McCully. If so, he is driving the Brabham Tony Shaw had campaigned in the National Formula Championship. This photo would then be one of the races from the 3 Round Teretonga Championship? Can anyone help with this?

Name:  Allan McCully Brabham BT18.jpg
Views: 1962
Size:  70.4 KB

Old racing cars.com says its Peter Yock also that its a Lotus, McCully would be 69 using that site
    Last edited by seaqnmac27; 02-08-2013 at 02:35 AM.

Thanks Sean, I don't know that this particular photo is from the Tasman event though, I believe it could be another event at Teretonga.

Couple of action shots here of Amon

Name:  Amon Ferrari.jpg
Views: 1751
Size:  85.0 KB

Name:  Amon 1968.jpg
Views: 1847
Size:  85.8 KB

Semi-Pro Racer
    Many of these shots would have been taken on the friday practice day as there are not many cars in the main straight parking areas, actual race days were packed with cars on main straight and trucks with stock crates for viewing platforms around the back of the circuit, the stock truck 'Gran Prix' was something to witness when they opened the gates early on saturday to the rear/western car parks, Marks Dad 'Stewy Q' could elaborate on that, being one of the competitors

Ian Peak was one of those guys who just got on with what he liked doing, his collection of scratch built models ( His own work ) was amazing, very meticulous and made all his own gears etc for whatever he was building, maintained the timer & operated it for the many speed events run by the ESCC. As well as the pics of motorsport I think Stewy might also have some photos of the models etc he built which would be worth a thread on their own.

Jac, many thanks, thats a great insight, and much appreciated. You may well be right about some of these being from practice. In other shots the extent of the huge crowds can be seen.

Stunning pit shots of Clark and his Lotus. There is so much going on in these photos, yet the setting looks so relaxed.

Name:  Clark pits 2.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  159.6 KB

Name:  Clark pits 1.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  172.6 KB

OK, something a little different now. In fact, something a LOT different! The next small group of photos are from Timaru, kicking off with this mixed bag of saloons. Some help here with names would be great. The leading Anglia looks to be the ex-Dave Simpson/Frank Radisich car, which Gary Sprague took to the South Island. But is this still Gary pictured here or another owner? The purple Mini with chopped lid looks a lot like the car raced in the late '60s in the North Island as an Allcomer by Tony Gilbertson. Can anyone help? The tall wing behind the Mini of that attached to Scott Wisemans E Type, while further back, the orange A40 looks like the Peter Bennett Lotus powered car that ran as an Allcomer in the '60s. Next to the A40 is the Sabre sports car! Definitely plenty of variety.

Can we fill in all the gaps here?

Name:  Timaru Allcomers.jpg
Views: 1881
Size:  105.2 KB