Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GRAHAM McRAE

thanks pall mall
    Attached Images Attached Images     

all the ones that you have put up are later cars some have been changed around a little have they not .if you look at motorman march 1972 front cover you will see the car that was there that day in levin it could also be the car that was also lost in a fire .Graham was a guest speaker at the levin car club in 1972 and my father inlaw was there and he got Graham to sign the cover of the motorman mag ,would be good to see one of his f5000 cars with the same paint job on it ,that test day in levin the car was all matt black.

Its a great looking car,is that the one that was lost in the fire do you know.

Is that the one Roger Williams used to race in historics?

World Champion
    I always believed Graham was, somehow, slightly underated compared to the other household NZ motorsport names.. As a driver and constructor he whupped the best of them. I didn't realize that he competed in the 1973 Indy until recently.. Nice pic of him around the 44 second mark in this F5000 promo video..
    Last edited by bry3500; 02-16-2012 at 06:15 AM.

World Champion

Ampol

Advertising
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dexter Dunlop got his hands on the McRae Leda GM1 from the usa and raced it for a time,i think that was the car that was lost in that fire ,also i do have a good story on Graham at Indy in 1973 he got to have a run in two cars ,and he had a run in F1 also will see if i can find all this and put it all up--AND YES RUSS WAIT.

World Champion
    Custaxie..I would like to hear that story about the Indy and wasn't Graham involved in the huge shunt in front of the pits at the British Grand Prix, 1973?, Silverstone I think....
    Last edited by bry3500; 02-16-2012 at 10:21 AM.

The story of Graham's 1973 Indy deal was told in the May issue of 2003 NZ Classic Car.

He was Rookie of the Year and had been running in the front group - in a race marred with drama - rain, damaged drivers and delays.

It is one of those little mysteries that he never raced at Indy again.

I am still looking for the story that i have,he did have two cars to work with,the first car an usa driver had but could not get up to speed so Graham did some work on the car and got it up to speed,in the end the usa driver got to drive the car.Graham ended up with some old car that he worked on and allso got up to speed-shit this is going back will have to find the full story to get it right---i think it said they were running at speeds of 265mph now you must understand all this is off the top of my head ,because its 39 years ago if this is not right-there will be some in the know can have there say on Indy and f1,by the way michael what did allan get up to on his Birthday.

Worked with Graham in 1986 at Calder Park, we were working for John Sheppard Automotive building the Nascars and Graham was driving the Volvo 242T Touring car.

Getting a car up to speed was mentioned earlier, I remember Graham saying about one car he was driving that didn't have the piston dome shape that he wanted so he Tig welded them to the shape /comp' that he wanted.

He was looking at renting a Ferrari back then to flop a mold off.

World Champion

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    Did graham race an austin healey early in his career, I was working at this guys house the other day and he had 1 in his garage, he called it the "ex graham mcrae austin healey"

Semi-Pro Racer
    Yes, a six-cylinder model, reg BN1864