Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Garry Simkin Collection - Part 1

Yes

Who is sitting next to Matich in the photo above?
    Which one is the Matich Mac?
    Is the #26 Neil Allen?

Can we get get some more ID's, even for the ones you recognise as being easy? Just to help us younguns out.
    More of the 'atmosphere' shots please

Cheers
    Lee

Sorry.....

The Matich McLaren is the metallic blue #10
    Niel Allen is #26
    Kevin Bartlett Mildren Chevrolet is #5
    Graeme Lawrence #14 Ferrari
    The white #25 Lotus is David Oxton. This is at Levin. This car was originally intended for George Follmer. The same car appears in at Pukekohe in pink STP colours. Its driven here by Chris Amon, after Vince Granatelli purchased it, following the disappointing showing of Amons March 701 (#2) at Levin. Oxton drove this car at Pukekohe, and Teretonga.
    The Cambridge McLaren is Frank Radisich
    The yellow #3 Surtees TS8 is Mike Eyerley

Hope I got that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Final post. Nice portrait shots, chilling in the pits.

Attachment 6421

Attachment 6420

Part 2 will follow. Thanks Garry for sharing these.
    The three guys in this shot from Levin are Bill Simpson, USA, Frank Matich and his mechanic Graham ''Lugsy''Adams, later to become known for his exploits in an XU1 Torana and a self built F5000 car. He called it GA 1 or similar, we preferred The Lugsamatic.Somwhere i have pics of it i must drag out.
    Garry

Thanks for sharing these Garry, very enjoyable and great shots. The McRae McLaren on the grid is terrific.

Thanks once again Garry for allowing these to be posted here and that you have managed to get the posting of responses underway.

The orange sports car in post # 6 is Gary Deakin in the ex Baron Robertson Heron T/C Ford at College Rd, Pukehou, Hawkes Bay during the running of the Gold Star event held there in december 1969.The blue open wheeler is Ken Bleakleys Cooper Ford, he won the open wheel class at the same event.
    The bearded gent to the left of frame in post # 11 with Graeme Lawrence and Derek Bell is a real photographer, Jack Inwood.
    Garry.

Fantastic, thanks Garry. This thread has really been popular, has had over 1000 views in just 3 days!

Thanks Garry. I have enjoyed these, even moreso with some ids now, and certainly look forward to Steve posting the next batch.

Cheers
    Lee

Garry Simkin collection

Great pics, Garry: all the signs of a productively misspent youth!

Yes John, you're right about that!