Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Garry Simkin Collection - Part 1

The Garry Simkin Collection - Part 1

Name:  garry simkin home.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  135.7 KBWe have Mike Feisst (kiwi285) to thank for these photos appearing here. Garry Simkin, like so many keen young race goers, wasn’t a professional photographer. And like many others, Garry figured nobody would want to see his old photos, because he didn’t have the flash gear, and was just an amateur enthusiast. But in fact, the opposite is true. As he told me, "They were mostly taken on an old Voightlander camera and are obviously quite amateur, but may be of interest to others".

These photos are gold, and incredibly enjoyable to see. They tell a story, they capture in time a small slice of history. They capture the rudimentary safety standards of the period, the backgrounds, the grandstands, the flaggies, the sea of spectators lining the edges of the tracks. And fortunately for us, Mike Feisst was able to convince Garry that his old photos would be appreciated by us, which they are.

Garry has joined up as a member on The Roaring Season, so I’m hoping he’ll jump in adding captions to these photos. These days he lives in New South Wales, Australia, and his spare time is eaten up through his love of air-cooled powered racing machines (both cars and bikes), and his involvement with the Loose Fillings newsletter, which he prepares along with Graham Howard and Terry Wright.

You’ll see there are double-ups of many photos. In fact, most of the photos were doubled-up on Garrys cd. Without the luxury of a powerful zoom, many of the cars were some distance away, so he has later come back and cropped them to enlarge the cars. This has improved some of the photos, but others I prefer the originals, as they often tell the story of what is happening in the background, and to me, the background in these old shots can be as interesting as the stars on the track. Sometimes, however, I couldn’t make a decision on which to show, so have just shown both!

The photos are all from New Zealands three North Island tracks; Pukekohe, Bay Park, and Levin, during the period spanning 1969 (ish) - 1972. There are approx 200 in all, so I'll be splitting them over 3 parts.

Anyway, here it is, the Garry Simkin Collection - Part 1. Enjoy.

Great photos, that one of McRae on the grid is absolute magic.

A few gems in there ! Can't say I recall ever seeing the McRae twincam in Crown Lynn colours.

Presumably the #8 Cambridge Brabham is Graham Watson ?

Is #45 Dauntsey Teagle ?

And the driver of the Heron still has a bit to learn about aerodynamics...

Banned
    Don't apologise for the quality. Just great to see them.

Yep, I agree Russ, these are gold.

Love that first shot of the #18 Cambridge car. Assume the McRaeTwin cam that GD refers to is the #36 car?

More! More!
    Lee

Boy, these are going down a treat!

Name:  Cars_026.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  124.2 KB

Name:  Cars_027.jpg
Views: 1508
Size:  136.5 KB

Name:  Cars_028.jpg
Views: 2233
Size:  96.5 KB

This one gets its own post! Love your work, Garry. Note the guys in the background. "Racing? What racing!"

Name:  Cars_030.jpg
Views: 1524
Size:  88.9 KB

They would be looking at the 2 Mercury Cougars (cars) in the shot wouldn't they. Know that is something you do not see now, 1 a bird in a bikini at the races and 2 a Mercury Cougar. I wonder if this were the saying "Cougar" came from. This site is full of history.

And great photos, that is history.

Hey that's my mother!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by GD66 View Post
    A few gems in there ! Can't say I recall ever seeing the McRae twincam in Crown Lynn colours
    The first one was red, the second black

Is #45 Dauntsey Teagle ?
    I think it's the original Cuda of Jim Stone (though brother Ross also raced it)

thanks Steve ,Garry, allways something great daily ,the tasman Ferrari was the nits tits as a boy , thanks that may be the first time its appeared here, was Graham Lawerence the only one to drive this ?