Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tom Donovan

Semi-Pro Racer
    Toms on the left, I don't recognise the other one.

Both cars are seriously cool.

These photos courtesy of Warwick Clayton.

Name:  1080.jpg
Views: 1104
Size:  124.1 KB

Name:  1351.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  91.0 KB

Name:  1343.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  99.3 KB

Name:  1085 A.jpg
Views: 1006
Size:  107.5 KB

Name:  1237.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  111.2 KB

More from Warwick Clayton.

Name:  4-25-2012_002.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  128.6 KB

Name:  4-25-2012_001A.jpg
Views: 969
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  4-25-2012_003.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  104.4 KB

Name:  4-25-2012_004.jpg
Views: 972
Size:  120.7 KB

That,s my mate Thomas at his Best He never gave up trying to go fast even when it turned to Shit. Thanks to Warwick & Steve those photos tell what we all tryed to do was race and be fast ? Jamie

From a few posts back - Hi Gerald!

Both cars were Toms - not sure who the other guy is. I have a few photos from Toms collection - via Neil Whiting who was a friend of Toms. Yes a shame about the A30 - we did try though! It was full of sand as if it may have been raced last down in Nelson on the beach. It was a four door converted to 2 doors - the sills had been cut off so it looked more in proportion.

There were a lot of chopped A30's back in the day - at least one is still around too.

Semi-Pro Racer
    U2 in the background is Lindsay McCutcheon. Both he and photographer Warwick Clayton are Dannevirkians.

Semi-Pro Racer

Supplied by Tom to the now owner

Name:  Tom Donavon 5cb.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  158.6 KB

Semi-Pro Racer

The Typhoon on its last outing in 1996

Name:  Typhoon 5b.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  152.8 KB

Hi how many U2s did Lindsay McCutcheon have?as I bought one for my boy in 80__2 Digby Taylor the sailor round the world man owned it as well a lot of others,I sold it Billy Ming who raced mainly on the club circuit,

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jim short View Post
    Hi how many U2s did Lindsay McCutcheon have?as I bought one for my boy in 80__2 Digby Taylor the sailor round the world man owned it as well a lot of others,I sold it Billy Ming who raced mainly on the club circuit,
    Jim. Lindsay owned only one U2. On a few occasions he drove a Terrapin he had helped build and then hung up his helmet and went on to work in the service crew for Malcolm Stewart on the Audi Quattro

Thanks I only drove it once at Puke ,was rather a wake up At the time I had damaged my back {3 times} and had the Paton that I had been using ,but I was anable to work and self employed, Stuart came and helped out so to thank him I bought the U2 from Paeroa for him.It certanly had a bigger and more powerfulll mtr. than the Paton,,This day at a Taccoc meet he was running it and I was hobling around,then in the afternoon I told him to give me his overalls as I really had to try it out, plus there was nothing very fast running.On the 2nd or 3rd lap I was flying up the back straight when to my disbelief a blue car was pulling me in hand over fist..what the hell is this car then Dennis Ganely in the Lotus 11 went past!!!He could never get close to the Paton and here I have a more powerful car and hes passing me!! Now when the Doctor tells you these pills will affect you I guess he knows best

Jees Jim and I thort it was the einkholl .?? does aney one have any thorts on Tom D,s tow cars and vans thay should be worth a few pages on there own

Sorry Jamie but I guess I will have to join Oldfarts corner on that speil

Semi-Pro Racer
    Keep it up Jamie, Jim needs some competition.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jamie View Post
    Jees Jim and I thort it was the einkholl .?? does aney one have any thorts on Tom D,s tow cars and vans thay should be worth a few pages on there own
    The Falcon wagon could probably tell a few tales if it still existed.

Yo Russ dont know what happend to it? After the big crash on the Foxton strights it was never the same it did not like travling along the ditch alonside the road with the tralor and race car .this was the result of some dick pulling out of a side road all its trick suspison got bent ?? but it would still hit the ton going up the gorge out of Welleywood but the handling had turned to shit .Now the Transit V8 that is for next time.

Semi-Pro Racer

In the Tree's

Name:  Tom Donavon Hillclimb a.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  149.5 KB

ops tOM,SS CRASH BANG OUCH HAVENT SEEN THAT ONE HE KEPT IT ON QT HE HAD a BIG OOPS DOWN SOUTH AND ENDED UP IN HOSPITAL with A broken leg gave up hilclimbing after that the March was never quite the same?? JAMIE