Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Philip Island Historics 2012

to the Grid
    Attached Images Attached Images       

McLaren M8F Can-Am car is ex Vic Elford.

World Champion
    Great day at Phillip Island, Drove down in Frank Borgs beautifully kept Sunbeam Alpine..Part of the Shannons Convoy of Classic Cars..In front of us was a Ferrari Daytona, behind us a GT40, no need for the stereo!!. The Alpine is going to be used next week at the Grand Prix in the parade lap for the drivers.
    What a fantastic selection of cars at the island, both on and off the track, I nearly spent as much time in the spectator car park as in the pits. The F5000 brigade put on a great show, it was a pleasure to hunt down Rod G and have a long chat.. Roaring Season is also a social networking site it seems.
    Keep those pics coming Angria!.
    PPS... there were several nasty accidents,From Rod's description of the F5000 crash on Saturday, the driver was lucky to escape serious injury or worse!
    Last edited by bry3500; 03-11-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 105angria View Post
    Rod in shot they had a lot of work with with car lose in transport container
    dodgy looking character in that orange lola pic

World Champion
    This one happened right in front of us...Carrera was munted

Im assuming it was a t332, but which car is it that is shown here badly damaged
    Quote Originally Posted by 105angria View Post
    have 300 pics first couple of days

no 25 Stan Redmond. I heard he was thrown from car ,had chipped ankle

frogs and a swede

assd

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by rogered View Post
    Im assuming it was a t332, but which car is it that is shown here badly damaged
    according to Rob G the accident happened in Fridays practice ...the driver was thrown out onto the track...very lucky

Quote Originally Posted by bry3500 View Post
    according to Rob G the accident happened in Fridays practice ...the driver was thrown out onto the track...very lucky
    No, Stan was in his car, he has seat belts and plenty of them. The unfortunate guy who got exited from his car was the driver of the Cooper Bristol which hit the pit wall very hard and he had no belts ? not a nice site when you are working on car and hear a almighty thump and sprapping noise, look up and see a wreck (it was a mess) sitting in the middle of track and then notice no one in it, walk out as an official sprints past and a women is screaming her head off up the pits a bit, look out pit fence and about 50 metres up the the track is somebody laying spead eagle like a starfish on his back on the track. It was pretty upsetting for every one.

A couple more of McLaren Can Am. It was a beast. New to team and they slowly got into it as week end progressed. As mentioned the car was beautiful. The sound is awesome, makes things happen when it pass's at speed.

Will put some more photos up when time permits to resize.

Hey guys, thanks for the great photos, and covering descriptions. Shows that Goodwood doesn't have a stranglehold on great classics any more. Those F5000s must have been great around that beautiful flowing circuit.

Cooper Bristol pre prang

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Grimwood View Post
    No, Stan was in his car, he has seat belts and plenty of them. The unfortunate guy who got exited from his car was the driver of the Cooper Bristol which hit the pit wall very hard and he had no belts ? not a nice site when you are working on car and hear a almighty thump and sprapping noise, look up and see a wreck (it was a mess) sitting in the middle of track and then notice no one in it, walk out as an official sprints past and a women is screaming her head off up the pits a bit, look out pit fence and about 50 metres up the the track is somebody laying spead eagle like a starfish on his back on the track. It was pretty upsetting for every one.
    Thanks Rod..no wonder I couldn't find the Cooper on Sunday..nice to catch up btw

Hey Murray Philip Island is an amazing event, very well run , thrilling, inclusive, and the variety every year I allways se a dozen or more things ive never seen, Goodwood would be a trip but PI is up there and 1hr from home fantastic

Any Requests got a lot of pics

World Champion
    Seeing as we have just been talking about crowds, or lack of them on the HD thread, could I ask what sort of a crowd attended this weekend. I know we can't compare with NZ, as there is potentially a much larger base to draw from there, but would like a comment from someone who was there. A request for pictures......yes. Some action shots of the Nb/Nc saloons would be appreciated.

Hi Amco ,the growd was good main straight was full on Sat with cars spread right around track at other good spots [you can drive right around the outside at PI and prettywell park were you like] sorry my action shots are all very distant had lens problem [i dont know how to use it]

in the Pits