Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bruce Wells Collection - Catalina Park - Part 2

The Bruce Wells Collection - Catalina Park - Part 2

Name:  bruce wells katoomba 2.jpg
Views: 3409
Size:  112.3 KB

I've been really looking forward to posting the series of photos taken by Bruce Wells at Catalina Park, Katoomba, from 1965. Its quite amazing how much the motorsport landscape changed in Australia between 1964, and 1965. Touring car racing saw the arrival of the first Mustangs to race in Australia, while in Sportscar racing, such exotics as the Scuderia Veloce Ferrari 250LM and the Ron Thorpe Cobra were both exciting new additions to the local scene.

The ever present 'Humpy' Holdens still battled on, while Norm Beechey claimed his first Australian Touring Car Championship aboard his new Mustang, and the last of the Jaguar MkIIs had now disappeared off the scene in front-line competition, with Bob Jane stepping out of his example, and jumping aboard his own newly acquired Mustang.

I'll post captions where I can, but please feel free to jump in and help ID any cars and/or drivers you recognise.

Anyway, here we have Part 2 of the Bruce Wells Collection, from Catalina Park. Enjoy!

So kicking off, and straight away I'm scratching my head over the Cortina thats obviously spent a bit of time on its lid. Bruce has dated this photo as being February 1965, but hasn't given any info on the photos. My first thought was that it is Pete Geoghegan. Did he ever roll his Cortina? Any help with the Cortina #4 would be appreciated. Note the aggressive exhaust on this car. Two Neptune Racing Team cars follow, those of Norm Beechey and Peter Manton in his left-hooker Mini. Can anyone tell me why the Mini was lhd? Was it because the 1965 ATCC race was held at the anti-clockwise Sandown track? Seems a bit excessive to go to such lengths though.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 3258
Size:  90.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 3165
Size:  78.4 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 3239
Size:  77.0 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 3500
Size:  80.9 KB

More shots of the Tridents Racing Team. Here is Jim McKeown in his Lotus Cortina, plus another shot of the Beechey Mustang. Note the Mustang still wears its early solid steel wheels before changing to 5-spokes. The stunning engine bay shot, with all those beautiful downdraught Webers, is again the Beechey Mustang. Can anyone ID the E Type? I'm guessing Niel Allen?

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 2896
Size:  83.1 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 2835
Size:  71.8 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 2917
Size:  94.3 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 2950
Size:  82.6 KB

I love this first shot. Who is Norm Beechey shaking hands with? He is wearing a Tridents shirt, so is obviously a part of the team. Can anyone help?

I can't get enough of the Humpy Holden shots. These cars have so much character and look fantastic on the swooping Catalina Park circuit. This is the Francel FX diving inside another car thats given something/someone enough of a whack its popped the hood open. Whose is car #25? Could this be Harold Thynne? #46, in the last shot, I believe is the John Hall car. Can anyone help with the others?

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 2996
Size:  113.5 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 3081
Size:  101.4 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 3021
Size:  81.4 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 3200
Size:  75.4 KB

OK, I'll take a punt and say the EH Holden is that of Brian Muir. Can someone help with the FJs?

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 3390
Size:  80.4 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 2910
Size:  77.9 KB

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 2922
Size:  75.2 KB

Elementary Holmes, slack seat belt on a right hand corner and he's slipped across to the left hand side.......

Can anyone tell me why the Mini was lhd? Was it because the 1965 ATCC race was held at the anti-clockwise Sandown track? Seems a bit excessive to go to such lengths though.

Views: 3239
Size:  77.0 KB

Views: 3500
Size:  80.9 KB[/QUOTE]

Looks like he took the steering wheel with him!

Semi-Pro Racer
    Ian Geoghegan in the #5 Mk1 Cortina that rolled, Peter Manton in the #2 LHD Mini, incidently the cortina tripped & rolled right in front of the Manton Mini-... at Catalina Park. no contact...source ( Ford, the racing history..)

Thanks Jac. Any clues as to why the Mini was lhd? Last three from this particular event, including George Murrays Austin 7 special.

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 2783
Size:  81.5 KB

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 2793
Size:  94.5 KB

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 2956
Size:  90.7 KB

OK, next batch. These are from another 1965 meeting, held, I believe, in May. Kicking off here, and I'm at a loss identifying the drivers in this first post, other than the Rowe MG. Any help would be appreciated.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 2852
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 2815
Size:  102.0 KB

Views: 2854
Size:  97.8 KB

Views: 2883
Size:  93.3 KB

There appears to have been a race held at this meeting just for Minis, which included some sort of Le Mans start. Its hard to tell if those are the drivers running across to the tracks (without helmets), or if the people running across the track just tag the cars when they get there, at which point, each car, with driver already inside, charges off.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 2956
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 2914
Size:  133.2 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 2799
Size:  107.9 KB

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 2776
Size:  105.4 KB

Oh, the Elan and Sprite in the previous post are those of Peter Meyer and Doug MacArthur.

The Studebaker appears to be the same car raced by Warren Weldon/Bruce Slattery at Bathurst in 1965.

I'm trying to ID who the driver of the inverted FX Holden could be. Perhaps Bruce Stewart?

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 2930
Size:  95.0 KB

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 2757
Size:  85.2 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 2854
Size:  131.8 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 2746
Size:  95.1 KB

Here we have Pete Geoghegans new Mustang, which raised the bar from the time it arrived in Aus, winning the ATCC at Bathurst in 1966. Here Geoghegan battles with Beechey. Actually, I started this batch of photos stating I thought they were from a May 1965 meeting, but I don't think that can be correct, as the Geoghegan Mustang apparently didn't make its race debut until August 1965.

The 250LM is the beautiful Scuderia Veloce machine, driven here, most likely, by Spencer Martin.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 2758
Size:  96.0 KB

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 2609
Size:  119.3 KB

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 2682
Size:  91.4 KB

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 2733
Size:  91.7 KB

That second shot showing Geoghegan swinging past the Olympic sign is just stunning, and really highlights that this track could bite at any moment if you get your lines a little wrong.

Actually, I'm wondering if the #22 Valiant in post #10 might be the same car raced at Bathurst that year by Alton Boddenberg/Digby Cooke.

Just a few more, will keep posting tomorrow.

Here we have, again, Geoghegan, doing what he does best, sliding the Mustang, along with Beechey, and Martin in the Ferrari. Note Beechey now has 5-spoke wheels fitted to his Mustang. Is this the same meeting where Bob Jane destroyed his Mustang?

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 2650
Size:  78.1 KB

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 2675
Size:  83.2 KB

Name:  17.jpg
Views: 2656
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 2553
Size:  112.2 KB

Is this the same Ferrari that spent some time in New Zealand with Andy Buchanan?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Is this the same Ferrari that spent some time in New Zealand with Andy Buchanan?
    Yes, also driven here the season before by Spencer Martin at the International meets.

Semi-Pro Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    If my memory is not playing tricks I seem to recall it had to move from Aust for a period to avoid import duty.

Again ...What great quality period shots....Thanks

Ellis