Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Bruce Wells Collection - Catalina Park - Part 2

OK, finally, here are the last three photos from this meeting. Here we have the superb Ron Thorpe Cobra, with hardtop roof, while the #44 Lotus Elan is driven by a young Fred Gibson. But can anyone ID the pretty little sports car Fred is chasing?

Name:  21.jpg
Views: 1871
Size:  92.5 KB

Name:  22.jpg
Views: 1834
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  23.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  92.4 KB

Re the hard-top on Ron Thorpes Cobra, there were apparently only three Le Mans hard-top lids made by the AC factory, and I spoke with Ernie Nagamatsu (who owns one of the three) about the lid on the Thorpe Cobra, his best guess was that it was made in Australia, which is most likely the case. But I'll find out what the story is with this top. Unless someone on here already knows the answer?

World Champion
    I think it is a Turner.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    I think it is a Turner.
    Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    Re the hard-top on Ron Thorpes Cobra, there were apparently only three Le Mans hard-top lids made by the AC factory, and I spoke with Ernie Nagamatsu (who owns one of the three) about the lid on the Thorpe Cobra, his best guess was that it was made in Australia, which is most likely the case. But I'll find out what the story is with this top. Unless someone on here already knows the answer?
    There were other hardtops than the LeMans versions made for Cobras, one at least available from Shelby. I would love to see a side on or rear shot of Thorpe Cobra to id the top on it. Front view suggests it is a bit different from the others I have reference for, so could be made in Aussie.
    Regarding the Le Mans version, I think these days it is a case of three being made and all ten still survive!

World Champion
    i. Can anyone tell me why the Mini was lhd? Was it because the 1965 ATCC race was held at the anti-clockwise Sandown track? Seems a bit excessive to go to such lengths though.

Yes , apparently Manton changed the steering from race to race . depending on which way the track went.. eg Warwick Farm RHD, Sandown,Catalina LHD etc

Thanks Bry, thats great info.

Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    There were other hardtops than the LeMans versions made for Cobras, one at least available from Shelby. I would love to see a side on or rear shot of Thorpe Cobra to id the top on it. Front view suggests it is a bit different from the others I have reference for, so could be made in Aussie.
    Regarding the Le Mans version, I think these days it is a case of three being made and all ten still survive!
    Thanks Gavin, I found this link from Autopics which show the hardtop to be a factory top, not a Le Mans top. This is the first side profile shot I've seen of the car: http://www.autopics.com.au/cache/ite....html?cache=no

Great, I could never find a side on photo. Yes that is the Shelby top, even they are pretty rare, they were used on the drag racing Cobras as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Holmes View Post
    I love this first shot. Who is Norm Beechey shaking hands with? He is wearing a Tridents shirt, so is obviously a part of the team. Can anyone help?

I can't get enough of the Humpy Holden shots. These cars have so much character and look fantastic on the swooping Catalina Park circuit. This is the Francel FX diving inside another car thats given something/someone enough of a whack its popped the hood open. Whose is car #25? Could this be Harold Thynne? #46, in the last shot, I believe is the John Hall car. Can anyone help with the others?

Attachment 6494

Attachment 6495

Attachment 6496

Attachment 6493

Re the Beechey shot, L to R, Max Stahl (Racing Car News Publisher), Norm and Claude Morton, Claude was Norm's chief spanner for many years.

Thanks aussiemonza I'm amazed at the information people can recall from so long ago.

These shots are just superb, and give a great sense of the atmosphere at the circuit. I took a walk around it on Saturday and while substantially still intact it is slowly being reclaimed by the bush. There are works of some kind taking place also with holes cut into the track surface in various places ready for concrete to be poured, not sure what the purpose of them is though.

Craig

Semi-Pro Racer
    .....Bob Jane raced a Dark Red E-Type around this time,so I'm guessing !!!!!!! Bob Jane,will ask the question tomorrow!!...regards thunder427/MJ

Quote Originally Posted by aussiemonza View Post
    Re the Beechey shot, L to R, Max Stahl (Racing Car News Publisher), Norm and Claude Morton, Claude was Norm's chief spanner for many years.
    Thanks Rowan, another member on here, Ellis, pm'd me saying he thought Claude Morton might have been the guy Beechey is shaking hands with, but wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for clarifying that. Bruce Wells photographed for several magazines at the time, mostly Motor Racing News, but likely also photographed for Racing Car News, hence the pic with these three guys in it. Thanks for the info Rowan.

Quote Originally Posted by thunder427 View Post
    .....Bob Jane raced a Dark Red E-Type around this time,so I'm guessing !!!!!!! Bob Jane,will ask the question tomorrow!!...regards thunder427/MJ
    Thanks Myles, yep thats right, Bob did race an E Type, it appears in part 1 of the Bruce Wells Collection from Catalina Park. This is it in 1963 pictured below. I know Niel Allen raced a grey E Type during 1964/65, and his had black wheels, so am just taking a punt this could be him. Can anyone confirm either way?

Name:  2 R Jane.jpg
Views: 1636
Size:  113.0 KB

OK, time for some more additions to this thread. Bruce has marked this folder as "KA 7-65", which to me means July 1965. If anyone ifs able to confirm this, I'd appreciate it. Several cars in this first post as seen previously in this thread, including Fred Gibson in the Lotus Elan, the Ron Thorpe Cobra, and George Murrays Austin 7 Special, but note also Pete Geoghegan in the Lotus 23B, and you also catch a glimpse of the nose on Leo Geoghegans Lotus Elan, chasing the Turner.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  83.3 KB

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1757
Size:  72.5 KB

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 1676
Size:  96.1 KB

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  77.8 KB

Can anyone ID the Lotus 7 pictured here? Rear view of the Lotus is the Geoghegan car again.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  71.0 KB

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  86.0 KB

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 1673
Size:  95.6 KB

More Humpys, more Lotus 7's, plus Leo Geoghegan in the Lotus 32. Any help to ID the Lotus 7 and Humpy drivers?

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 1562
Size:  101.9 KB

Name:  16.jpg
Views: 1764
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  18.jpg
Views: 1754
Size:  89.3 KB

Name:  20.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  71.8 KB

OK, last posting for Catalina Park here folks. This includes Pete Geoghegans Lotus Cortina, plus several Humpy Holdens, including a fairly rare shot of an earlier FJ, which by 1965 were far less commonly seen than the FX. Thanks again to Bruce Wells for sharing this amazing collection. The next chapter for the Bruce Wells Collection will be from Lakeside. Stay tuned.

Name:  22.jpg
Views: 1824
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  23.jpg
Views: 1812
Size:  92.0 KB

Name:  24.jpg
Views: 1778
Size:  85.9 KB

Name:  25.jpg
Views: 1788
Size:  87.3 KB

Name:  26.jpg
Views: 1813
Size:  90.8 KB

Just a wee taster for the Lakeside chapter, including visitor Ken Miles, in his Cobra.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1801
Size:  73.5 KB