Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
Interesting thread, Bob. I recently interviewed Ginger Molloy who talked of having his first race at Seagrove and I wondered where it was (Ginger went on to become one of NZ's most successful ever motorcycle racers).
Don't know if you are still unsure of Seagrove's location -- as "Oldfart" said in a previous post, it is on the south shore of the Manukau Harbour, a bit east of Clark's Beach and Waiau Pa, a WW2 airfield built on reclaimed mudflats.

It was later used by DSIR(or whatever they are now) and Ak University as a Radio Research Station, with Antenna pylons erected on the runway which rather spoiled it for car and Motorcycle racing. The 1951 motorcycle TT races were run there on 1 Jan 1951 on a 4-mile all-sealed track involving runways, access roads with uphill and downhill sections. I think the cars ran mostly on the runways, but I have seen a few photos of cars racing with trees and bushes in background, so maybe they ran on other roads as well. Maybe someone out there can remember back that far - i.e. 1946-52ish.

Stu