Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Race Tracks

But clearly the timing and the context showed I was not talking about a bike race...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Were motorcycles ever raced at Phillip Island? I mean on the circuit used for the AGP...

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    But clearly the timing and the context showed I was not talking about a bike race...
    it seemed pretty clear to me, sorry I was confused Ray

Not wanting to prolong this, but the next paragraph gave the full meaning...

"According to Fast Tracks (admittedly a book primarily about car circuits in Australia), motorcycles raced on a longer 12+ mile circuit which included most of the AGP circuit from a date somewhat later in 1928 than the 100 Miles Road Race, which later became renamed as the Australian Grand Prix."

The circuit the Australian Grand Prix for motorcycles has used is just under three miles. It was three miles, but they shortened the inner section a tad because the ground there was always wet and caused it to break up.

i finally managed to get this on you tube. There's some motorcycle footage from twyford 1964 Ahuriri 1956 and some cars at ahuriri later on plus some other stuff too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ITA...UYbP8LBYDaqLpE

Seagrove - Cars Cars and Bikes.

Cars from the Arthur Siddall albums, thanks to Duncan Fox, The Northern Sports Car Club albums
    There are several pages of racing at Seagrove - Will put the NSCC related stuff on that thread too !
    This is just one of the pages Event in 1947;

Name:  NSCC 1947 #549 Seagrove Sprints 1947 MG's Singer Moris Morgan  MG  Singer Morris others Duncan F.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  175.8 KB

Cars a report from an article event in 1949 - thanks to Bob Homewood - another NSCC guy who has a good archive of NSCC early years - not the 1940's but more into the 1950's and 1960's
    One page of Arthurs album is from November 1949 - could be the same event.
    The article mentions a lot of NSCC members and also mention the " Competitors Car Club of Auckland " holding an event in November 1948 the season opener - was that actually Northern Sports Car Club ?

Name:  NSCC #591 Seagrove 1949 Magazine report Bob Homewood .jpg
Views: 787
Size:  176.3 KB

Bikes - some details of a Motorcycle event at Seagrove in 1947 the Magazine report from December 1947 of an event in November - also from Bob Homewood - this is for " jellywrestler "- have sent it to him separately.

Name:  Seagrove #6 Motorcycles Magazine article 1947 Bob Homewood .jpg
Views: 739
Size:  169.6 KB

Name:  Seagrove #7 Motorcycles Magazine article part 2 1947 Bob Homewood .jpg
Views: 710
Size:  96.6 KB

today taurangas old photo news went on line, good resource https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

If you go through the rest of the booklet you come across this colour photo. Someone may be able to identify the cars and drivers for us.

Name:  mmr.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  94.3 KB

No 7 - Ken Sager Lotus 20

Green & Yellow Cooper-Holden - Brian Rice

No 18 Ken Kaye - Kato Special

Red Car at the back is Ivan Cranch's Maserati-Jaguar

The red car at front left could be John Riley's Lola Mk 1 sports car.
    Last edited by Milan Fistonic; 04-27-2020 at 10:41 PM.

bell block 1980's, my understanding is that there were car races there, does anyone know anything about it? thanks

talking to someone today local and asked about a circuit in wingate in lower hutt, he confirmed there was but no more info on dates etc.does anyone here know anything about it? sounds like 1950's

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    No 7 - Ken Sager Lotus 20

Green & Yellow Cooper-Holden - Brian Rice

No 18 Ken Kaye - Kato Special

Red Car at the back is Ivan Cranch's Maserati-Jaguar

The red car at front left could be John Riley's Lola Mk 1 sports car.
    John Courtney owns and runs the Kato Special

Another Old and lost Track - that " Jelliewrestler " inquired about

An old Airfield circuit - 3 runways with connecting Taxiways in the middle of farmland, near the Rakaia River, at Hororata, close to Rolleston ..

Te Pirita ..
    This is an image he sent me.
    1st added as a better image..

Name:  te pirita #16 v3 sml old and new merged cropped (542x800) (2).jpg
Views: 441
Size:  119.6 KB

** 2nd photo - originally posted .the track overlay is in the wrong position.. . oops.
    Name:  te pirita #12 v3 sml final map old over new (2) (542x800).jpg
Views: 580
Size:  130.4 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 05-29-2020 at 04:01 AM. Reason: ** 2nd photo comment ###47

yeah second one didn't have the b and w image scaled to the correct spot. would love to see photos of the racing that took place there, beleieved to be one meeting only

World Champion
    I recently saw this old race photo from the 1915 San Diego Exposition Road Race and recognized the names of the streets.

When I first arrived in California, I had no money, no job, no tools and no immigration papers but I had a return ticket to London in case the lovely woman I was after, threw me out. Well I found a job near this road circuit working in a British Foreign Car Shop where Jimmy the Scotchman who always had a flask of whisky in his tool box, was a wonderful mechanic and mentor also set me up so I could get settled in and allow me to marry my bride 46 years ago on July 6th, so this area has a special memory for me.

" On January 9th, 1915, the world’s fastest race-car drivers vied to complete 305 miles on a six-mile elliptical circuit of dirt roads for a winning purse of $5,000. Of the eighteen starters, including Barney Oldfield, Eddie Rickenbacker, Earl Cooper, and San Diego’s own “Bad Bill” Carlson, only five cars finished the race, which was won by Earl Cooper."

Name:  1915 at Rosecrans and Canon..JPG
Views: 1113
Size:  116.4 KB
    The # 4 Mercer leads the # 7 Peugeot driven by Eddie Rickenbacker around the corner from Canon St onto Rosecrans St.

The same corner today does not look nearly as exciting but the beer and fish and chips taste good !
    Name:  1915 at Rosecrans and Canon today...JPG
Views: 457
Size:  65.5 KB

(Ken H..to be continued.)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 07-02-2020 at 07:43 AM.

Do you have a map, Ken?

World Champion
    Ray,
    My map is a bit rough but the course circuit was on roads still used today not far from San Diego Airport.
    Name:  1915 San Diego Road Race circuit - Copy.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  56.7 KB

Name:  San Diego- Point Loma_ Road circuit. - Copy.JPG
Views: 382
Size:  129.5 KB
    (Note location of the British Foreign Car Shop.)

Name:  1915 Point Loma race.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  149.5 KB
    1915 winner climbing Chatsworth Blvd.

Name:  San Diego race circuit . Climbing on Chatsworth from Rosecrans.JPG
Views: 1810
Size:  80.0 KB
    Chatsworth Blvd today from approx. same location.

(Ken H..)

Great stuff...

My lap of the Savannah circuit was interesting:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...ml#post3459183

21 miles in one version...

Ken H,
    great story, good to see you posting again, after your medical bit got sorted
    I knew of races at Coronado - the Airforce Base but not the Road Circuit at San Diego - even though I visited a mate in 1982 who ran this Healey and came from San Diego, is still there and still into Healey's although mainly Sprite's these days - Terry Cowan -he may deal with Moss Motors too.

Name:  Healey trip 1982 #125 Terry Cowans racer, Ross Bryan Terry - San Diego CCI27062016_0005 (700x487.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  103.6 KB

BMC BOY on the left, Bryan Harris also from NZ, and Terry Cowan.. whose workshop was called the Toy Shop - back in 1982 ..

Those races were done and dusted before Healeys were ever a twinkle in Donald Healey's eye...

As were the ones at Savannah.

World Champion
    Roger,
    I have driven these roads many times and it wasn't until last month that I learned about this 1915 race taking place.
    Thanks for allowing me to ramble on once again, I hope to start work again within 2 weeks.

The Start / Finish line was set up towards the end of a two mile straight along Rosecrans St. and the main grandstand was situated to show spectators the cars going by at their top speeds around 100 MPH. But many of the crowd assembled at the corners as they wanted to see the action at those points.
    Some scenes of the start to the 1915 race.
    Name:  1915 Starting grid.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  153.7 KB
    (Note the winning Stutz # 8 started away back in the field. )

Name:  1915 race at the start..jpg
Views: 782
Size:  104.6 KB
    Waiting for the flag to drop. The # 3 Tahis has an interesting torpedo shaped extra coolant reservoir above the engine.

Name:  1915 race about to start..jpg
Views: 412
Size:  187.2 KB
    Temperatures and tempers are rising in this photo of the start as the cars are about to head north along Rosecrans.
    Air pollution apparently was not an issue back then !

Name:  1915 Start line..JPG
Views: 358
Size:  72.5 KB
    The start line area today looking north along Rosecrans St towards the first corner.

Name:  1915 Start area looking South as it is today..JPG
Views: 389
Size:  58.8 KB
    The start line area today looking back south along the Rosecrans two mile straight.

(Ken H..)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 07-03-2020 at 07:37 AM.