Thread: Old Race Tracks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stubuchanan View Post
    It gets a mention in the Auckland Motor Cycle Club history (Seventy-Five Years on Two Wheels by Dr Calum Gilmour) but only just. It was "out the back of Drury" and included unsealed roads - not uncommon with motor cycle races of the time.
    It was seen as a possible replacement for the Mangere circuit, for the Tourist Trophy. but this didn't happen. The TT was run at the NZ GP meeting at Ardmore in 1962, and as a separate meeting at Pukekohe in February 1963 and at the NZ GP meetings in later years.

Lake Bryndwr

I think this circuit was used only in 1957. I have read an article on the Lake Bryndwr track, or perhaps a thread on this forum, with photos of racing there.

Hope this may be of help to you.

Stu Buchanan
    just read that book last week, was lucky enough to buy a copy within a couple of hours of looking for one, better still it was local, and the only confirmation of one happening at Drury was the fact that Dick Waterer had ridden there. i'd be interested on where the info came that it included unsealed roads, i'm doing some research and like stuff to be as right as possible, also enjoying chasing this stuff up and chatting to old timers who took part
    Last edited by jellywrestler; 08-07-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    just read that book last week, was lucky enough to buy a copy within a couple of hours of looking for one, better still it was local, and the only confirmation of one happening at Drury was the fact that Dick Waterer had ridden there. i'd be interested on where the info came that it included unsealed roads, i'm doing some research and like stuff to be as right as possible, also enjoying chasing this stuff up and chatting to old timers who took part
    dug a little deeper, a 2.7 mile circuit in the early sixties, anyone the wiser now as to where it was by any chance?