Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Race Tracks

Xmas tree ..Xmas card...didnt think of a tree. Pet peacock comes to mind.
    Who would think an upmarket car like a Lanaulet Packard would have a tree inside- and look at the special fold down rear section to accommodate the tree.Servants usually collect these things.
    Jeremy Clarkson would probably fit a cow there in todays world.

World Champion
    Ray,
    You must have missed my post # 215 that I did for you.
    I got the photo after reading this article.
    Name:  2847_001.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  148.1 KB

Ken

World Champion
    I took my photo at Turn 4 by the North arrow.
    Name:  Santa Barbara course. 1960.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  64.9 KB

This March 7 2019 article has raised a lot of renewed interest in the racing around here.."back in the day"

Name:  Santa Barbara Independent. 3.7.2019.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  35.6 KB
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 03-29-2019 at 12:55 AM.

Originally posted by khyndart in CA
    Ray,

You must have missed my post # 215 that I did for you.....
    Indeed I did... I don't know how I did that!

Thanks very much for that. I would still like to address the issue to TNF because someone there will have the 1952 Motor Sport write-up and it might say something about the suspension.

It appears to have '39-'47 Ford brakes, probably the axle too.

I don't know where the 'mix of Anglo and American parts' came from as the only Pommie component seems to be the Pilot gearbox, which would surely have simply been the same as a US Ford box.

You might be able to tell, cars of this ilk are close to my heart, though I'm never so happy with ones with Ford V8s!

THE BALDWIN “PAYNE” SPECIAL .. Old Race Cars

Re ; " THE BALDWIN “PAYNE” SPECIAL "
    Ken H, didn't Baldwin also build a car called the " Baldwin Mercury Special " .. running a Mercury V8 - sidevalve version of the Ford V8 - think the Mercury had an extra head stud or two ??

The photo on the programme you posted indicates it was Baldwin's first Special..

Have just been going through my collection of books and magazines and have come across a Magazine called
    " Vintage Racer " it is the Number 8 issue Autumn 1981 and cost US Four Dollars, I got it in 1982 in West Coast USA.
    Publisher is Steven J Earle - didn't he go on to manage a Race Track or two ??.
    The magazine has the entry list for Monterey Historics August 1981, the year before I went.
    Have the Full programme and entry list book for 1982

No mention of a Baldwin in either Book..

For those interested " Beach Hop 2019 Whangamata " is on now 27 - 31 March - there have been lots of cars on State Highway 2 travelling from Tauranga that I saw yesterday ..
    Have to go Waikato way on Monday - Pirongia and Te Awamutu, so i guess quite a few will be heading home..

One of the Vehicle's is a recreation of an American Ford School Bus - has modern mechanicals in a 1948 Ford Chasiss /body .. and looks like this .. One of the guys involved with the Bus is my Tyre Guy in Omokoroa Steve Abbott, whose Father Russ got me into " that TR4A " - " what a small world we live in " !!

Name:  Cars #152 School Bus Omokoroa Steve Abbott .jpg
Views: 785
Size:  107.7 KB

Had seen the bus outside the Tyre shop many moths ago and was there earlier this week being readied for the trip.

Ford introduced the 24-stud heads in 1938 across the board, prior to that they were 21-stud. The Mercury engine had a larger capacity than the Ford for a while, but later Fords were the same size.

Ford V8 question - the Side Valve - and the answer !!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Ford introduced the 24-stud heads in 1938 across the board, prior to that they were 21-stud. The Mercury engine had a larger capacity than the Ford for a while, but later Fords were the same size.
    as mentioned Beach Hop is on this weekend and a local family [ Katikati ] are taking two Fords a Model and a very rare in NZ 1941 Ford V8 Super Deluxe .. the car has been fitted with 1952 Mercury Flathead .. the article in the localpaper is confusing as it states
    " The V8 has a 52 Mercury flathead motor - 1941 was the last year Ford flathead motors were built, he said "
    He being Eric the owner ..

I thought that Ford built the flathead up until the introduction of the " 272 " Y Block in about 1953 or 54 .. Ray will Know.

This is what I found on Wikipaedia

" Also called Ford L-head V8
    Production 1932–1953 for the U.S. consumer car-and-truck market
    1932-1954 Ford the Canadian consumer car-and-truck market

(1973 in Germany for trucks and 1961 for Simca versions, but later with a head akin to the Ardun OHV conversion) "

and from a Ford site ..
    " The Ford Flathead is a valve-in-block engine and the valves open adjacent to the combustion chamber, rather than from the top, as in later engines. The four different V-8 flathead displacement sizes between 1932 and 1953 are 136, 221, 239 and 337 cubic inches. "

Remember the Simca version used in a car called the Vedette - a grown up Aronde, and of course we had in NZ the Ford V8 Pilot from Ford UK,engine by Ford USA and Canada.

Name:  Cars #140 Ford Flathead V8 45cui.com image.jpg
Views: 695
Size:  45.5 KB

Name:  Cars #141 Ford Flathead V8 Stud pattern 45cui.com image.jpg
Views: 797
Size:  40.4 KB

A wet Saturday morning in Omokoroa, Fine in Te Poi on the other side of the Kaimai Ranges..

Time for a Coffee it's 10;45 NZDST ..

Name:  Winnie the Pooh #16 Eeyore - Coffee .jpg
Views: 703
Size:  50.3 KB

Then the day will be like this

Name:  Winnie the Pooh #18 Eeyore - Happy face  .jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  19.6 KB
    Last edited by Roger Dowding; 03-29-2019 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Stud configuration ###47

I don't think the Simca versions (made even later than '61, I'm sure, and by Chrysler as they owned Simca) had the Ardun heads...

They were used on the ones Chrysler built in South America for the continuation of the Vedette, the Esplanada.

These were smaller engines, only 2.3 - 2.5-litres, as were some built in Britain and even a few in America in the late thirties (the 'V8-60). And yes, Fords continued with the flathead V8 until the Y-block came in in the mid-fifties.

Though there was also an inline six flathead in some US production and also sold in Europe.

Ken, your PMs are full, my e.mail is raybell@racingphoenix.com
    Last edited by Ray Bell; 03-30-2019 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Waihi Beach was used but that was in the 20s and 30s as best I can work out.
    It was certainly used in 1926.

Name:  img220 (2).jpg
Views: 711
Size:  173.4 KB

Having worked on so many vintage cars over the years, I get a real buzz out of seeing that they were raced in the day , instead of the sedate cars seen at car shows.
    I know where there are 3 Chandler Tourers...wonder if one of them was this winner ?
    And as Chrysler had just been formed from Maxwell in 1925, Curletts car must have been an early delivery

Bugatti, Chandler, Chrysler .. racing in the 1920's ..

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Having worked on so many vintage cars over the years, I get a real buzz out of seeing that they were raced in the day , instead of the sedate cars seen at car shows.
    I know where there are 3 Chandler Tourers...wonder if one of them was this winner ?
    And as Chrysler had just been formed from Maxwell in 1925, Curletts car must have been an early delivery
    John McK .. like your comment !!

" I get a real buzz out of seeing that they were raced in the day , instead of the sedate cars seen at car shows. "

The Chandler, I know little about; Must do some work on that. ** a bit below !
    A J Roycroft and the Bugatti ..more is known, as he had several a Type 13 a 22, a 38 ..
    the 13 was a Racer, which he got from Australia - had it at Muriwai in 1927 and 1929 for the Beach Races ..
    the 38 was a tourer
    and the type 22 seems to be a modified tourer, not a racer !!
    According to the Scott Thompson book " Up to Speed " Daisy Roycroft had been in a Bugatti -
    " before the ladies race at Waihi " .. was that 1926 - unsure..
    AJ certainly had a Bugatti at the " Light Car Cup " in 1926 at Muriwai. which was probably the type 13 ..in 1927 it had been fitted with a long tail the car originally as mentioned was from Australia owned by Hope Bartlett, chassis # 2109.
    In 1929 at Muriwai there were three Bugatti's on the front row - could have been the entire field of six cars ?

A Chandler Six Tourer. The advert says they sell a 4 passenger Roadster too !!

Name:  Cars #157 Chandler 6 advert 1930 resize (2) (351x640).jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  143.2 KB

I also get the same feeling looking at the very early Daytona Beach racing...thats racing on the beach itself- with the 1930s Coupes and sedans leapfrogging over the sand.
    First motorbike race there in 1948-"155 motorcycles started, only 45 finished
    Purebred racers...nope, entertainment value....maximum.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 04-08-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Last edited by Ray Bell; 04-08-2019 at 10:27 PM.

Chandler - the car

Just reading, as in re-reading that George Smith - of " Gee Cee Ess " fame racing in the 1950's, ran a Chandler in Beach Racing in the 1920's .. A car name that has been " Lost in Antiquity " - as they say. No taken over by Hupp !

This is from Wikipaedia, so is a bit error - prone !!.
    " It was incorporated in 1913, with Frederick C. Chandler as President, headquartered and with its factory in Cleveland, Ohio. Chandler was a former designer for the Lozier Motor Company, a top end luxury automobile manufacturer. Chandler and several other Lozier executives left the company to form his company.

Chandler concentrated on producing a good quality motor-car within the price range of middle class Americans. Chandlers were well received in the marketplace.

Production[edit]
    In 1920, Chandler had a line of six cars, ranging from $1995 to $3595.[citation needed] This grew to 10 by 1922, ranging from $1495 to $2375.[citation needed] Like many other medium-price carmakers, in the middle 1920s Chandler introduced a lower-priced "companion car" called the Cleveland. In 1924, they introduced the "Traffic Transmission," a constant-mesh gearbox that reduced the need for extra clutching when downshifting. This was several years before General Motors offered the "Synchro-Mesh" transmission, which allowed the driver to shift into first gear while moving forward at low speeds.

Chandler's peak year was 1927, when they sold 20,000 cars. Hopes for continued growth of the market led to over expansion by the company the following year, which finished 1928 over half a million dollars in debt.

In 1929, Chandler Motor Company was purchased by its expanding competitor Hupp Motor Car Company for its factory and manufacturing facilities, and the brand was discontinued.

Chandler, like most cars built before all-steel bodies became the industry standard in the mid-1930s, used bodies built with a metal skin around a wooden frame (an "armored wood" frame).[1] Due to the use of fabric roofs, after a few decades the wood tended to rot; because of this Chandlers have survived in smaller numbers than some other popular automobiles of the era that used all-steel bodies " .

Rikko, Ken H, Ray Bell, John Mck and others - getting off the topic quite a lot .. oops.

Cheers,
    Roger D ..
    back to Austin Healey's I guess ..

Thanks Roger...good research and I enjoyed the read.

That Chandler I posted was really a nice car with some luxury features inside...

But no doubt it never saw a race track. The closest ones to it would have been Thurgoona-Wirlinga and Pound Hill I guess.

While I have been around as much of the former as you can do these days, I've never seen Pound Hill. Which is a bit of a shame because my uncle helped build it.

If, however, you include things like Speedways, it wasn't too far from Wahgunya, Leeton, Echuca and several more. As a stablemate it had a 1931 Plymouth roadster to keep it company.

1914 movie- Mabel at the Wheel- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XN8-stCgmo
    Mabel drives a Bentley V8
    Which race track/tracks is this ?
    Cmon Ken, its your backyard
    Great collection of period racer. all rhd. and Mabel looks like she could get into the Shell Mustang and win Bathurst.
    Last edited by John McKechnie; 04-22-2019 at 08:43 PM.

World Champion
    That is a fun old movie John, looks like the old course at Santa Monica.CA.

Ken.

World Champion
    A bit more about the racetrack at Santa Monica around 1914.

https://thekeystonegirlblogs.wordpre...-santa-monica/

Name:  Mabel at the wheel. 1914.jpg
Views: 563
Size:  72.1 KB

(Ken H )

It has to be West Coast as there's a banner with 'FRESNO' in big letters at the back of the grandstand...