Thread: Old Race Tracks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Having worked on so many vintage cars over the years, I get a real buzz out of seeing that they were raced in the day , instead of the sedate cars seen at car shows.
    I know where there are 3 Chandler Tourers...wonder if one of them was this winner ?
    And as Chrysler had just been formed from Maxwell in 1925, Curletts car must have been an early delivery

Bugatti, Chandler, Chrysler .. racing in the 1920's ..

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Having worked on so many vintage cars over the years, I get a real buzz out of seeing that they were raced in the day , instead of the sedate cars seen at car shows.
    I know where there are 3 Chandler Tourers...wonder if one of them was this winner ?
    And as Chrysler had just been formed from Maxwell in 1925, Curletts car must have been an early delivery
    John McK .. like your comment !!

" I get a real buzz out of seeing that they were raced in the day , instead of the sedate cars seen at car shows. "

The Chandler, I know little about; Must do some work on that. ** a bit below !
    A J Roycroft and the Bugatti ..more is known, as he had several a Type 13 a 22, a 38 ..
    the 13 was a Racer, which he got from Australia - had it at Muriwai in 1927 and 1929 for the Beach Races ..
    the 38 was a tourer
    and the type 22 seems to be a modified tourer, not a racer !!
    According to the Scott Thompson book " Up to Speed " Daisy Roycroft had been in a Bugatti -
    " before the ladies race at Waihi " .. was that 1926 - unsure..
    AJ certainly had a Bugatti at the " Light Car Cup " in 1926 at Muriwai. which was probably the type 13 ..in 1927 it had been fitted with a long tail the car originally as mentioned was from Australia owned by Hope Bartlett, chassis # 2109.
    In 1929 at Muriwai there were three Bugatti's on the front row - could have been the entire field of six cars ?

A Chandler Six Tourer. The advert says they sell a 4 passenger Roadster too !!

Name:  Cars #157 Chandler 6 advert 1930 resize (2) (351x640).jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  143.2 KB