Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Race Tracks

Old [ and Lost ] Race Tracks

Old but not actually lost - the streets still exist; has been used in more recent times too !! 1980's
    Some of the early versions of the Dunedin City Street Circuits - from the Scott Thomsom book - the back cover.

Name:  Motoring Books #162 Dunedin back cover 1983 2019_03_29_0704 (3) (538x800).jpg
Views: 968
Size:  135.5 KB

The front cover of the book ;

Name:  Motoring Books #161 Dunedin Scott Thomson 1983 2019_03_29_0703 (3) (528x800).jpg
Views: 919
Size:  109.1 KB

Anzac Day is upon us...

If memory serves, that was a traditional race day at the old Penrith Speedway. Now there's an old track now mostly gone for you.

It was adjacent to Penrith railway station (note I didn't say 'train station', nobody did before 1990) and drew huge crowds who came out from Sydney on the electric urban trains.

It was a big speedway, a full mile of clay tri-oval and operated from about 1921 to 1942. The site was then resumed by the government for military purposes.

World Champion
    Ray Bell,
    I took this photo in May 1967.
    Can you tell us when it opened and closed and anything about your experiences at this track at ..........

Name:  20190505_231941.jpg
Views: 818
Size:  80.1 KB

Thanks,
    Ken H

Catalina Park...

One mile and 510 yards, as I recall, tight and with a steep-ish climb as well as an almost-nasty crested curve halfway down the main straight.

I attended every meeting there between May, 1963 and when it closed with the exception of the May, 1967 event. Which was seriously fog-affected.

Some really good racing, it was a power circuit because of the three tight corners requiring the oomph to get the car to the next section, allied with that hill. But it required bravery (Bosch Corner) and finesse as well.

Memories: Pete Geoghegan having a rear axle shaft come out in the middle of Bosch, which was very fast, snapping it sideways and he caught it. Wal Donelly (sp?) and Niel Allen changing places in the middle of Bosch. Bob Jane punting Brian Muir's S4 out of his way in Craven A after Muiro repeatedly won the start. Arriving for my first ever race there, it was about event two on the day, and the race was red-flagged. There are pics on this forum of that crash, in which Thomas Rich died.

Originally posted by khyndart
    .....I just hope if you get to visit this area and go to the "Lake Street Cafe" that you have a better experience than this customer had there !

I wish I had read the recent reviews. Anyone who has been here in the past would come here again - Big mistake. Where do I start? The service was horrible. The server or the kitchen messed up our order. Okay, that happens. But the server lied about checking and more than an hour later I had to check on our food. When I asked our server about it she was rude and finally checked. They had lost our order. If she had checked 30 minutes before, we may have received our dinner before the 90 minutes we had to wait! Our daughter was starving. They promote their wine list, but have very few options by the glass. The food was good, but not amazing. It was so loud we couldn't hear each other. We just wanted to leave as soon as possible. We will never go back. Please choose another restaurant!

When I show up we can just go down to the wharf area and eat some good ol' Omokoroa fish n chips..eh ?
    Remind me to tell you one day about the time I got chucked out of the Restaurant Hunidares...

Almost as dramatic as the time I got chucked out of the USA.

I am thinking seriously of taking a drive down to Adelaide and the Barossa Valley during my working sojourn to Central Australia in the next month or two...

I'll be working around Peterborough and Port Augusta for a week or two, so it's not too far to places like Nuriootpa and Lobethal, so I might introduce my van to them.

It has to get used to driving around old racing circuits. Thus far it's been driven around the original Elkhart Lake circuits and Watkins Glen's 1948-53 circuit as well as Savannah.

I don't intend setting any lap records, however...

World Champion
    Ray,
    I look forward to the photos, ,especially of the van that has driven around North America and now Australia.
    You must be very fond of that vehicle ?
    Is it LHD or RHD or is it McLaren F 1 type with a center seat ?

Ken.

Ray Bell and old or lost tracks or both ..

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Ray,
    I look forward to the photos, ,especially of the van that has driven around North America and now Australia.
    You must be very fond of that vehicle ?
    Is it LHD or RHD or is it McLaren F 1 type with a center seat ?

Ken.
    Ray Bell, I know you have been to Lakeside, Kurwongbah, QLD many times - has the van been around there too ??.
    Need to see a photo of it ..

Believe some of these photos are yours !! - your comment from September 2015

" I wonder where they got my pictures?

Maybe they thought someone else took them? "

Name:  Lakeside Classic, #2 2015 history board #2, IMG_0209 (2) (800x533).jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  136.9 KB

World Champion
    Sorry Ray,
    I'm having trouble getting my ol' van back on the road again. I was hoping to join up with you for
    the"Tour de Oz" and perhaps make it over to "Van Demon's Land" and check out Longford etc..
    I hate to let you down mate.

Name:  american.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  150.4 KB

(Ken H)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 05-10-2019 at 06:21 AM.

Centre seat, can only be a Morris J1 Breadvan...do you have them Stateside, hippie love them

My van...

...essentially hasn't been photographed at circuits as I've been taking the photos of the circuits as I drove around them in it.

And no, Roger, it hasn't been around Lakeside. It hasn't actually been to any Queensland circuits, though I might take it to Leyburn some time soon - the old airstrip circuit - and no doubt I'll do a lap of the Southport AGP circuit some time.

As for the Lakeside photos, it's quite possible that they got them from Autopics because Autopics got a lot of images from Chevron publications and both those photos (start of the 1966 AGP and start of one of the heats of the 1965 Australian Tourist Trophy) were used by Chevron.

To fully answer a couple more questions, it remains left hand drive...

When I bought it in 2014 it still had three years to go before I could register it LHD in Australia, so I left it in America for another two years to do a second trip in it before shipping it home.

And I do really like it, yes, it's very good to drive and I'm going to eventually kit it out completely for travel.

I learned today that my trip to Central Australia (via Goondiwindi, Bourke, Peterborough, Roxby Downs etc) may well be extended to take me as far North as Katherine. Which will mean that I go back home via Mt Isa, a place I've never been. No circuits there, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    My van...

...essentially hasn't been photographed at circuits as I've been taking the photos of the circuits as I drove around them in it.

And no, Roger, it hasn't been around Lakeside. It hasn't actually been to any Queensland circuits, though I might take it to Leyburn some time soon - the old airstrip circuit - and no doubt I'll do a lap of the Southport AGP circuit some time.

As for the Lakeside photos, it's quite possible that they got them from Autopics because Autopics got a lot of images from Chevron publications and both those photos (start of the 1966 AGP and start of one of the heats of the 1965 Australian Tourist Trophy) were used by Chevron.
    Thanks Ray, good to see the van

Re Ken H's van ; Isn't that the small International from the 1950's ??, a Mate in Oregon knew a lot about them !

The wheels look un-American...

More like Austin or Morris, but I don't recognise that windscreen.

Though maybe Dana did do a large 6-stiud pattern at one time. It does have fully-floating axles which is pretty serious stuff.

Maybe Bedford?

International Metro ;

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Sorry Ray,
    I'm having trouble getting my ol' van back on the road again. I was hoping to join up with you for
    the"Tour de Oz" and perhaps make it over to "Van Demon's Land" and check out Longford etc..
    I hate to let you down mate.

Name:  american.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  150.4 KB

(Ken H)
    Ken H and Ray - That van;

" International Harvester's Metro Van is a step van, also known as walk-in or multi-stop delivery ... In 1959, the "Metro Mite" was introduced. "

and a photo, well two actually - one restored, one in need - indeed !!

Name:  Cars #149 International Metro 1959 .jpg
Views: 672
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  Cars #170 International Metro 1959 .jpg
Views: 679
Size:  64.4 KB

and a quick quiz - what is this ???

Name:  Special #11 Engine with Hilborn Injectors Trevor Sheffield pic 0599, (3) (500x379).jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  77.4 KB

Well known to Kiwi Motorsport fans .. even ex pats Ken H..

Quote Originally Posted by John McKechnie View Post
    Centre seat, can only be a Morris J1 Breadvan...do you have them Stateside, hippie love them
    Not quite John McK - see later post #255 !! Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Dowding View Post
    Ken H and Ray - That van;

" International Harvester's Metro Van is a step van, also known as walk-in or multi-stop delivery ... In 1959, the "Metro Mite" was introduced. "

and a photo, well two actually - one restored, one in need - indeed !!

Name:  Cars #149 International Metro 1959 .jpg
Views: 672
Size:  34.3 KB

Name:  Cars #170 International Metro 1959 .jpg
Views: 679
Size:  64.4 KB

and a quick quiz - what is this ???

Name:  Special #11 Engine with Hilborn Injectors Trevor Sheffield pic 0599, (3) (500x379).jpg
Views: 1270
Size:  77.4 KB

Well known to Kiwi Motorsport fans .. even ex pats Ken H..
    The Lycoming engine in Ralph Watson's Special

http://www.stuff.co.nz/southland-tim...with-road-race

I think the Lycoming with Ralph Watson was there the next year 1957!

Old Race Car at an Old Race Track - that Lycoming ..with Ralph Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Milan Fistonic View Post
    The Lycoming engine in Ralph Watson's Special
    Indeed Milan, I had to re-title the photo as had all the details - here is the programme cover - the Sports Car Race entry list and my own photos of the car and engine at Dunedin in 1984 with Ralph Smith.

Name:  Dunedin festival 1984 #90 cover from Steve Nesbitt GD66.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  98.1 KB

Name:  Dunedin Festival 1984 #82 Programme Race 2 Sports Cars  -Annie Swain.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  124.4 KB

Name:  Dunedin Festival 1984 Lycoming Ralph Smith CCI09102015_0004 (800x543).jpg
Views: 958
Size:  132.1 KB

That engine 30 years later ..
    Name:  Engines ; #2,  Lycoming 1984 Duendin Street Races CCI31082015 (3) (800x538).jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  178.4 KB

A sad day for the car after a contretemps in 1962 at Wigram.. from Art McKee archives..Forrest Cardon driving.
    on its second set of number plates the yellow and black -last of the old style.
    Previous [ original plate ] was was Cream and Burgundy " 427.793 " ]

Name:  Motor racing Wigram #10 1962 Sports car race accident Forrest Cardon  Lycoming Art Mckee .jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  74.9 KB

And .. a scruffy but fast Lycoming in the hands of Jim Boyd, at Waimate in 1966 - with new Registration - permanent plates were in .. Flamboyant and FAST ..a great guy all round.
    Allan Dick photo -

Name:  Lycoming Special #13 Waimate 1966 Allan Dick  (640x444).jpg
Views: 928
Size:  116.8 KB

In Steve Holmes new Book is a story on the Lycoming ..

Another shot of Jim Boyd in the Lycoming

Name:  img365 (2).jpg
Views: 730
Size:  171.6 KB