Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Old Race Tracks

World Champion
    Allan,
    Perhaps Scott Dixon is arranging for an Indy car event as that looks like it could be a pretty quick circuit.

I did not know before that the Auckland and Waikato boundaries went right across the circuit and the Waikato has the biggest share !

(Ken H)

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Attachment 62919

Does anyone know anything about this that I found on the internet recently?
    Horses OUT, Cars IN by the looks .. there have been a few ideas about changing Pukekohe over time but nothing has happened apart from losing the Club Circuit and the back straight Chicane that has changed a few times !!

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    Allan,
    Perhaps Scott Dixon is arranging for an Indy car event as that looks like it could be a pretty quick circuit.

I did not know before that the Auckland and Waikato boundaries went right across the circuit and the Waikato has the biggest share !

(Ken H)
    So we could half a Blues /Chiefs game there and would be a home game for both teams for half the game !! just thinkin'

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Attachment 62919

Does anyone know anything about this that I found on the internet recently?
    it's just someone playing, if you were serious about improving a track the first thing would be make it safe so motorcycles can return. That simply makes decent business sense if nothing else, next is to sort out some esses,

It's another evidence that few people today can think of anything but exaggerated importance of braking areas to improve 'racing'...

Look at the map of Queensland Raceway to see how that pans out.

Quote Originally Posted by AMCO72 View Post
    Getting back to the thread title, Old race tracks, when I lived in Christchurch in the 50's there used to be a track round the perimeter of Lake Bryndwr on the northern side of the city. I didn't ever go to a meeting there, but we used to water-ski on the lake itself. This would have been about 1956. I dont think any of the races there would have been for 'Chassis Racers', but I suspect all sorts of hum-drum saloon cars of the 30's and 40's. That seems to be what these old machines were reduced to, as Pallmall has said, nobody wanted them. I'll bet George Smith and Co also went there to do some skids. The whole area is probably a housing estate now, if it hasn't been shaken to bits by the earthquakes.
    so Bryndwr first ran in 1950 does anyone know when the last meeting ran, and why it shut down?

Ronnie moores father , Les, died in a race at the old aerodrome in Timaru in the 1960's. does anyone out there know what sort of meeting he was competing in, or a date so i can track an old newspaper down please?
    not being morbid here, I have a friend who raced bikes at the same meeting and interested in that side of the meeting, whether it was grass track or what.
    Last edited by jellywrestler; 10-09-2019 at 07:31 PM.

saltwater creek in timaru, anyone intimate with what went on there?, and when?

Saltwater Creek !!

Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    saltwater creek in timaru, anyone intimate with what went on there?, and when?
    Allan Dick of Autonews in the 1970's now a writer for NZ Classic Driver Magazine and runs the " Classic Autonews " Facebook page may be able to help - it was down his way, I understand - Allan is from Dunedin and now lives in Oamaru.

I may have a couple of photos from there - not mine - will have a look.

World Champion
    The Saltwater Creek track at the southern end of Timaru was the original airport and was used for racing once the new airport at Levels was constructed.

RA Vanguard information;
    " First racing appearance of wires seems to have been with Les Moore in 1960

Moore's fatal accident in the car was at the Saltwater Creek track, Timaru, on Labour Weekend the same year." (David McKinney. April 2013.)
    Name:  RA Vanguard. # 12.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  58.9 KB

The conditions seemed a bit rough as shown in these photos. Similar to Tahuna Beach, Nelson.
    Name:  10-Doug-Algie-NZ-Classic-Driver-84.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  155.6 KB
    (Doug Algie )

Name:  Bucklers%20in%20NZ%20#39%20Fred%20Mclean%20MK10%20Saltwater%20Creek%20Timaru%20BC&K%20page.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  172.9 KB
    (Fred McLean in his Buckler..)

Info from previous TRS posts.

(Ken H..)
    Last edited by khyndart in CA; 10-14-2019 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khyndart in CA View Post
    The Saltwater Creek track at the southern end of Timaru was the original airport and was used for racing once the new airport at Levels was constructed.

RA Vanguard information;
    " First racing appearance of wires seems to have been with Les Moore in 1960

Moore's fatal accident in the car was at the Saltwater Creek track, Timaru, on Labour Weekend the same year." (David McKinney. April 2013.)
    Name:  RA Vanguard. # 12.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  58.9 KB

The conditions seemed a bit rough as shown in these photos. Similar to Tahuna Beach, Nelson.
    Name:  10-Doug-Algie-NZ-Classic-Driver-84.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  155.6 KB
    (Doug Algie )

Name:  Bucklers%20in%20NZ%20#39%20Fred%20Mclean%20MK10%20Saltwater%20Creek%20Timaru%20BC&K%20page.jpg
Views: 862
Size:  172.9 KB
    (Fred McLean in his Buckler..)

Info from previous TRS posts.

(Ken H..)
    Ken H, you have been busy - think I have a couple of Allan Dick photos of the events there too !! Cheers

there was a one off street circuit in downtown Timaru in febuaray 1967, odd that this happened after waimate and only just before levels was opened instead of just keeping going with waimate.
    Anyone got any ideas as to why the change please?

anyone got any old programs from Mariehau in chch, found three a couple of weeks ago and keen on more to find out how long it ran for etc please

Here's a little video...

https://youtu.be/zWa9gvLygng

And another interesting one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlKY5oALVU

And from there you'll get the 'Circuits of the Past' videos by their large number.

World Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Here's a little video...

https://youtu.be/zWa9gvLygng

And another interesting one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZlKY5oALVU

And from there you'll get the 'Circuits of the Past' videos by their large number.
    Subscribed! Cheers Ray, nice links.

there was a one off street circuit in downtown Timaru in febuaray 1967, odd that this happened after waimate and only just before levels was opened instead of just keeping going with waimate.
    Anyone got any ideas as to why the change please?
    appears that the governing body anzcc (motorsport nz) banned street racing at the time but allowed this one off meet in timaru to run in the interim as it was deemed safer until levels was opened later that year.

Semi-Pro Racer
    appears that the governing body anzcc (motorsport nz) banned street racing at the time but allowed this one off meet in timaru to run in the interim as it was deemed safer until levels was opened later that year.
    By all accounts it was a pretty rough circuit and the mechanical carnage and accident rate was quite high. I remember hearing at the time that the organisers ran the circuit in the opposite direction to that approved originally by ANZCC. Can't vouch for the truth of this.

Stu

Huh!

Now I discover that the 'Circuits of the Past' website has one of my stories on it!

Along with pictures, of course, the circuit involved being Lobethal. I gave it to Herman, the Dutch bloke who does the sites and videos, about fifteen years ago and I'd forgotten.

https://www.circuitsofthepast.com/lo...uit-australia/

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
    Huh!

Now I discover that the 'Circuits of the Past' website has one of my stories on it!

Along with pictures, of course, the circuit involved being Lobethal. I gave it to Herman, the Dutch bloke who does the sites and videos, about fifteen years ago and I'd forgotten.

https://www.circuitsofthepast.com/lo...uit-australia/
    so if you know about the other side of the ditches tracks what was the first sealed circuit in aussie and what year please?

To the best of my knowledge it was Lobethal...

However, some of the Western Australian circuits, which were street courses around towns radiating out from Perth, might have been all-sealed as well. But only Albany predated the Lobethal 1938 race, and photos from there show gravel spraying up behind a car's wheel, so Lobethal remains - as far as I know - the first all-sealed circuit used in Australia.

Unless the circuit at Benalla was all-sealed. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't, at least one stretch of it is very unlikely to have been sealed. Lengthy stretches of Victor Harbor and almost all of Phillip Island were unsealed. The Wirlinga-Thurgoona circuit wasn't fully sealed either, its first meeting was either April or June, 1938 anyway.

So it was most likely Lobethal, first raced on January 1, 1938.

This is not counting Maroubra Speedway, of course, which was a concrete bowl, I am only referring to road racing circuits.

A better question might be, "Which Australian circuit was the last one that wasn't all-sealed?"
    Last edited by Ray Bell; 02-25-2020 at 05:59 AM.