Thread: 2016 Goodwood Revival Live feed

World Champion

2016 Goodwood Revival Live feed

I've really enjoyed following this. Thanks Sean.

This has been fantastic so far. Especially the really wet races.
    Watched till I fell asleep last night, now re-watching the huge field of A30/35's duking it in the wet.

That was outstanding! The most enjoyable category for me is the Pre-1966 GT cars, competing for the RAC TT.

Its interesting how much things have changed since I was living in the UK in the early-mid 1990s and attending the big historic racing events. Back then the most important historic racing event was the Silverstone Classic, and in the Pre-1966 GT race in 1994, there was an epic four way battle between the Ferrari 250GTO notchbacks of Frank Sytner and Lindsay Owen-Jones, and the AC Cobras of Bill Shepherd and Steve Hitchins.

On that occasion, it was Sytner in the Anthony Bamford owned GTO that emerged the winner. But fast-forward 20 years, and that very same car is now a back-marker at Goodwood. I have to assume everything has got faster, rather than the Ferrari getting slower.

The other thing that I find interesting is that the Corvettes are so far off the pace. To see an E Type Jaguar pass a Corvette down the straight like its standing still is a little curious. I assume the FIA homologation weight for the Corvettes must be quite hefty, because there were three examples in the race and none were anywhere near the pace.

My understanding Steve is that the ability to get more HP out of the Jag engines is where the gains have been made hence they have become the front runners.
    You are correct that the Corvettes maybe at a weight disadvantage.
    I really enjoyed the FJ races with the Kiwis in the battles.

That was great - not quite as close as some of the races from past years and the amount of carnage just astonishes me

Quote Originally Posted by Spgeti View Post
    My understanding Steve is that the ability to get more HP out of the Jag engines is where the gains have been made hence they have become the front runners.
    You are correct that the Corvettes maybe at a weight disadvantage.
    I really enjoyed the FJ races with the Kiwis in the battles.
    Yes you're right Bruce, its much like the ERA's in the historic Grand Prix cars division. Years of development in historic racing and strength in numbers has meant they're far more competitive in historic racing than they were in period.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Clark View Post
    That was great - not quite as close as some of the races from past years and the amount of carnage just astonishes me
    Yes, I agree Michael, the carnage is too much. In my opinion, its the emphasis on competition and the importance of winning that is the biggest contributor. BTCC driver Gordon Shedden bumped the leading Cobra off the track to win the RAC TT. The Cobra came just inches away from being destroyed against the wall as it spun. Shedden appeared not bothered at all by the incident. Essentially, this is how they race in the BTCC.

The carnage really annoys me. "Guest" drivers seem to have no respect for the cars they are given to drive. Perhaps if they were forced to pay the repair bills they might have a mental shuffle. There is so much that I wonder whether I would want to attend. Ah, yes I do!

Good to see Joe Twyman in the white Elva (Madgwick Cup) got 20 secs penalty and 3 License Points for his senseless barging attack on the yellow 23 into the chicane just before the flag. This has dropped him out of the placings.
    He had the then second-placed Newall covered without that double strike attack, and was completely unapologetic in the post-race interview.
    Couldn't see any noticeable damage on the left front of Shedden's E, so did he actually touch the Cobra or was it just twitching that made it look like it?
    Othe than a feww incidents, the competitors seemed to generally abide by the "spirit of Goodwood".